3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog 150/ do I have problems or what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrleb1
The truck is out in Riverdale now. It'll be getting ready to change some other stuff out on it. Then it is getting a cage. In November, I'm actually heading out to join him.
Ok, I'll be out there next week, I'm sure you will be too.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM

Yeah, Matt and I do some business together and he has helped me with my Airdog setup. We kinda both knew we would run into problems, but it was our best bet at the moment.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chrleb1
I hope so. It sounds promising from the flow numbers that I've been told about. I have a lot more fuel to add to my truck and I'll need something to move it. As you can see in the video, the truck has the air supply to support more fuel. My EGTs during the run were only at 1,200*.

Nice run, I noticed its burning quite clean, very cool. 958hp is a lot of power without the squeeze juice. Good job! How much fuel do you use running the 1/4?

Tim
Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by AirDog
Well usually this comes down to an install problem. Either the tube is to far off of the bottom or it is put in a location towards the front of the back of the tank. We are aware of people with this problem. We are always looking for a way to better our products and this is one that is being addressed. But as I stated before. If it is installed correctly there is no problems at all.

Ummm, excuse me but that's not right at all! He already said he used the Liberty canister so the problem can NOT be the draw straw!!

I had the EXACT same problems as 2007 5.9 and Phil R, I talked to your boss (assuming you work for Charlie) and also with Mark who was a big help. I can guarantee the problem was NOT my install. I also used the Liberty canister for my AD100 install so there definitely no issue with the draw straw.

When I had the problem I dropped the tank again, removed the canister and submersed it in a 5 gallon pail of fuel with all the lines connected as in the tank and fired it up. The problem was definitely caused by the AD return going in the filler neck, I could see with my own eyes when I lifted the canister so the top of it was not below the fuel in the pail like what would happen at 1/4 tank (but the bottom of the canister WAS), the AD would draw the canister dry, my FP gauge would drop to zero until the engine return eventually put enough fuel in the canister that the AD would begin pumping again, my FP would go back up and the whole thing continued. As soon as I moved the AD return so it pumped into the Liberty canister it stayed full and everything was fine.

After my little experiment, as far as I'm concerned, plumbing the AD return into the canister is the ONLY solution to the problem!

… but after what I went through I shoulda just used something like a Raptor 100 so I wouldn't have to deal with the "AD return issue"

Also I was sent a package of springs labelled as 10, 15, 20 and 25 PSI, after trying them all I ended up just stretching the one that came with it which was exactly the same as the one labelled as 15 but really only gave me 12 pounds. the 20 and 25 PSI springs peggeg my 30 pound fuel pressure gauge so you guys need to work on the springs.

Having just spen a few bucks and a lotta time getting mine working, it's sure great to know there's a "new and improved" versing in the works...

Onetun, too bad you won’t be running your truck this weekend, I was looking forward to seeing your new setup, that's one impressive truck!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=Fisherguy;2251757]Ummm, excuse me but that's not right at all! He already said he used the Liberty canister so the problem can NOT be the draw straw!!

I had the EXACT same problems as 2007 5.9 and Phil R, I talked to your boss (assuming you work for Charlie) and also with Mark who was a big help. I can guarantee the problem was NOT my install. I also used the Liberty canister for my AD100 install so there definitely no issue with the draw straw.

When I had the problem I dropped the tank again, removed the canister and submersed it in a 5 gallon pail of fuel with all the lines connected as in the tank and fired it up. The problem was definitely caused by the AD return going in the filler neck, I could see with my own eyes when I lifted the canister so the top of it was not below the fuel in the pail like what would happen at 1/4 tank (but the bottom of the canister WAS), the AD would draw the canister dry, my FP gauge would drop to zero until the engine return eventually put enough fuel in the canister that the AD would begin pumping again, my FP would go back up and the whole thing continued. As soon as I moved the AD return so it pumped into the Liberty canister it stayed full and everything was fine.
QUOTE]

Thanks for re-assuring me that I DID say that. I wasnt sure if I posted it wrong.

Sure would be nice though if my question of weather or not this "Pulling Air" is causing damage to my pump. I am almost to the point of pulling my AD150 off and running a Raptor 150 and making my own filter set-up, so that I can actually USE the last 10 gal in my tank again.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Why not just modify your canister like I did, follow the link in my signature.
When I put it back together I had about an inch of fuel in the tank, the FP gauge never waivered from 17 PSI.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Why not just modify your canister like I did, follow the link in my signature.
When I put it back together I had about an inch of fuel in the tank, the FP gauge never waivered from 17 PSI.
I no longer have the time to pull my bed off. Got a little one comming in a month and between all the baby classes and getting stuff ready, I dont have time to re-mod a canister. I had a modded one once until the bulkhead fitting failed. I put another canister in and just left it alone. I have delt with it for a 1/2 year, but soon I will be needing the full amount of fuel that my tank can hold. I go to the snow everyweekend and it it 500+mi round trip, so I need all 30+ gal of fuel that my tank can hold without NEEDING to refill.

From what it looks like those of us with "First Gen" Air Dogs are out of luck, now that they know there is a problem they are going to do the proper R&D and come out with a product that doesnt have problems. But that leaves us early guys SOL, and we just have to deal with it.

Like I said, I am ready to pull the AD150 and get a Raptor and plumb my own filter set-up so that no matter what I will NEVER have 1/4 tank issue again.

I love my AD150, but running on "0" psi when I still have 10 gal of fuel still in the tank is CRAP!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Nice run, I noticed its burning quite clean, very cool. 958hp is a lot of power without the squeeze juice. Good job! How much fuel do you use running the 1/4?

Tim

Not sure how much i use during a pass. I am running the regular tank rather than a fuel cell. It burns clean because I have a ton of air going into the motor.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by AirDog
So maybe the Liberty canister isnt the fix. Im not saying it is or isnt..... Quit turning this into a finger pointing contest. I am not blaming anyone. ...
Or just a just time and it needs to be just right or it becomes a problem.
I'm not turning it into anything, you seemed to be pointing fingers at everyone's install.

I'm also not saying the AD is junk, it works fine (other than the pressure springs I was sent), the problem is getting fuel out of the tank when you get down near 1/4 tank. The Liberty unit works great when the AD return is plumbed back into it. I imagine including a modded canister as part of every AD unit sold for a Dodge would be a little price prohibitive though, so it's up the the customer to try to figure something out.

I don't get your last statement?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:17 PM

I have a walbro comp 392 using the supplied pick up tube, with return back into the filler neck. I can pretty much run the tank dry without issue. I've put 35 gallons into my tank (rated at 34).

I'd be curious to see how the plumbing differs between an airdog and the glacier setup, and what might be the cause of these problems. I know Erick Brown, and Erik from LCD are both knowledgeable on installs of these pumps which leads me away from thinking it's install related.

I know les has had a terrible time trying to get his setup to work.

Does the airdog spec out a different location than the glacier system does for the pick up tube?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

man, you guys and this 1/4 tank thing.

The first pump I installed on my truck was a walbro. I purchased it from Richard @ GDP. The draw straw that came with it was more than long enough to reach the bottom of the tank. The instructions said to cut it to length. I didn't do that. I did however cut a bevel onto the end of the straw.

The straw lays on the bottom of my tank in the deep end. I can run my truck to fumes whether is be with the walbro then or the Raptor I have now.

It's not the pump causing the 1/4 issue. It's the draw straw not being deep enough into the tank. I have a 2 micron filter along with the stock 5 micron housing in use. The Raptor pump will grind up just about anything that will come out of the tank. I haven't been concerned about filtration at all and it's never been a issue.

AirDog may have something when he's saying the install could be a problem. He's not saying everyone has no clue about what they're doing... he's trying to help.

Maybe the AirDog can't keep up with some of the fueling guys have but, we all live and learn. This is why AirDog II is being released soon and will flow more than anyone would ever need.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is only a problem with some, I have no issues whatsoever with mine but have seen some 03-04 owners have the 1/4 tank issue.

Quick Reply: Airdog 150/ do I have problems or what?