3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog 150/ do I have problems or what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by onetun
Wise ones...not sure how I could have messed the install up.
As I said I flow tested the pump and it flows the corrects volume. I did not flow test with pressure, so I cannot confirm this.
I run 1/2" lines to both CP3's and my bottom pump is a modified stage 2.
I'm supposed to compete next week and cannot afford this PITA.
Pump sounds normal to me.

Rob

1/2 " pick up will never supply 2, 1/2 " feed lines to the cp3's. you will need a minimum of a 7/8" pickup tube to supply adequate pressure and volume, (more so volume). By just installing a larger pick up tube, you will increase flow rates with out changing pumps. Reducing pressure is only way to increase volume without changing any hard parts.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AirDog
Agreed! But... I would like to see you get that pressure at 20 psi and see what it does first before you give up. You will gain more volume.
This is the third time asking you..... how do I adjust it? You keep on telling me to do it, I ask how, and you keep on telling me to do it.

Also, tell me if I am wrong about this theory...

I'm still at a loss on how it'll flow more with less pressure. Well, i know it is easier to flow more at lower pressure because you have less head pressure, but i don't know how it will help maintain if it can't maintain already. If the internal regulator is set at 40 and it starts to drop pressure, the regulator is going to try and correct the pressure. Same thing if it is at 20 psi. If I am dropping all the way down to 5 psi, the regulator will be all the way shut to divert flow being at either setting (40 or 20). I can pretty much bet that if I set it to 20 psi, it'll still drop to 5 psi at the end of the pull. If my start pressure was 40 and it dropped to 21, i can see setting it to 20 and it won't move.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:20 AM

Also.... I don't want 20 psi..... I like the way I designed my truck.... it works.

I'm not giving up, I'm asking for something better. You guys make a great product. I seriously think i just tapped it out. I'm not here to run on the ragged edge of products. I like to design a little over.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:30 AM
O.T

The bottom line seems to be that the Airdog 150 is just too small for the high hp applications.
My pump will hit zero for a few seconds then I will run dry at the pump. Pressure is one issue, but when the line runs out of fuel, volume becomes the problem.
150gph is free flow test...I would venture to guess this is reduced by 50% with head pressure.

Running 1/2" lines -8 all the way to pumps is part of my problem. If I were to go to -6 it may improve some.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by onetun

Running 1/2" lines -8 all the way to pumps is part of my problem. If I were to go to -6 it may improve some.
I think that will improve pressure, but not volume.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 AM
O.T

Originally Posted by chrleb1
I think that will improve pressure, but not volume.
Yes that is correct.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM

This is the third time asking you..... how do I adjust it? You keep on telling me to do it, I ask how, and you keep on telling me to do it.

Also, tell me if I am wrong about this theory...
Sorry to but in,but I played with the pressure on mine a little (I got the 20 psi spring but other wise the same).To adjust it remove the fitting from pump that the return line is on,hold pressure in on it while unscrewing because of spring behind it ,but it doesnt have a lot of pressure so its not a big deal.Mine just had a spring and ball ,no shims.I ended up just machining a little off the end of fitting that spring pushes against (in my case it worked out to .010 = approx 1 psi pressure).Sum how you have to releave spring pressure by trimming spring or sum other means.just my two cents.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:28 PM

What would happen if you just plugged the return side and sent all the avail fuel to the CP3??? If when people are running low in the tank and haveing psi issues, could they just plug the return so NO fuel goes into the tank and keeps pressure on the feed to the pump???
Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM

I would pull the fuel return line off and run it into a bucket to see if you are bypassing to much fuel. 150 gph pump regardless of who makes it should flow more than enough fuel to support the power you guys are making.

Fluid dynamics 101, the higher the line pressure the lower the flow rate, period. Volume will increase pressure somewhat as long as demand is decreased, once demand increases pressure drops of quickly. In order for you to achieve, and maintain the 40 psi you want, you will have to determine the maximum flow rates needed at wot for your cp3's. then design your fuel delivery system. If you don't you will just be pi$$ing in the wind while throwing parts at it.

Tim
Old 10-17-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
I would pull the fuel return line off and run it into a bucket to see if you are bypassing to much fuel. 150 gph pump regardless of who makes it should flow more than enough fuel to support the power you guys are making.

Fluid dynamics 101, the higher the line pressure the lower the flow rate, period. Volume will increase pressure somewhat as long as demand is decreased, once demand increases pressure drops of quickly. In order for you to achieve, and maintain the 40 psi you want, you will have to determine the maximum flow rates needed at wot for your cp3's. then design your fuel delivery system. If you don't you will just be pi$$ing in the wind while throwing parts at it.

Tim
I know.... i took all of those classes. I did design the system correctly, Airdog thought otherwise when i tried to order the correct pump. I wanted the 250, they said it would be a waste and wouldn't use all of that fuel.

But my argument is, if the pump is set at 40 or 20, i am passing the point that the regulator stops sending fuel back to the tank and dropping down to 5 psi. Airdog can't figure that out.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2007 5.9
What would happen if you just plugged the return side and sent all the avail fuel to the CP3??? If when people are running low in the tank and haveing psi issues, could they just plug the return so NO fuel goes into the tank and keeps pressure on the feed to the pump???
when you plug the return you also stop the air it's removing from going to the tank=all the air goes to the CP3..defeating the whole point of the air separator.

IMHO Erick and Rob are just to hard core for the AD150....think about it...they both have 6 garden hoses running to a fire nozzle they call injectors....those boys are DUMPING some BIG fuel.

I think they need super dog 250's.....

thats just my .02
Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM

I know.... i took all of those classes. I did design the system correctly, Airdog thought otherwise when i tried to order the correct pump. I wanted the 250, they said it would be a waste and wouldn't use all of that fuel.

But my argument is, if the pump is set at 40 or 20, i am passing the point that the regulator stops sending fuel back to the tank and dropping down to 5 psi. Airdog can't figure that out.
You could very well need the 250 series pump.

We have 550hp N-14's with 2100#tq all fed by less than a 80gph pump.

***Verify that you are not bypassing fuel at wot.

Tim
Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******

IMHO Erick and Rob are just to hard core for the AD150....think about it...they both have 6 garden hoses running to a fire nozzle they call injectors....those boys are DUMPING some BIG fuel.

I think they need super dog 250's.....

thats just my .02

Yeah! Hardcore! I got more to go also. Maybe they will offer me a 250.

Quick Reply: Airdog 150/ do I have problems or what?