3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog 150/ do I have problems or what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007 5.9

My questions is when the fuel gets low and the pump starves for fuel, is this causing damage to the pump?

3. Is there a way to stop the fuel from returning to the tank to keep the cup full? It seems that if the pump does not draw so much fuel and returns it then some if not all of the 1/4 tank issues that WE all have would be resolved.

I apreciate your previous answer, my installer has been on the phone with Toby several hours trying to resolve this issue...but do you have any more info in the above???

Thanks...
Old 10-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
can't wait to see the new ADII demand flow! git r dun anthony! LOL
Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by AirDog
Our new system will for sure!! Be patient!! Shouldnt be long
So those of us who currently are having 1/4 tank issues will have to buy the new ADII to resolve this???

Or will you guys have a kit or something to retrofit the current pumps to the new style???

Just trying to decide if I need to start saving money...
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
Maybe you do have fuel issues and if so... that's your fault for not anticipating the amount of fuel your were going to need before your trucks got where they are in HP.

Pure Flow has been making pumps for OTR trucks for a long time. I do think they know something about what they're doing. When a vendor comes here to try and help and gets what you guys gave him... I wouldn't blame him for not trying to help again. Like my mom always said... you get more with honey than you do with vinegar.
Umm.. Ty.... Our fault?? If you go look at the first couple of post, both Rob and I knew what we wanted. Airdog said "no, you guys can't have that". I never said I was mad about the pump issue.... Actually in the first or 2nd post, i believe that was said exactly. The first post from Airdog was pump installation problems, rather than saying, "hey, your truck might be putting down more power than the pump can support. Let's do something to rememdy this problem." I was not attacking them at all. Maybe it really can't support my truck.

The ball is in their court now, they know we have problems and it is their job to reach out and make it right.

Again, how do I turn down the pressure? It came from the box that way.

I'm still at a loss on how it'll flow more with less pressure. Well, i know it is easier to flow more at lower pressure because you have less head pressure, but i don't know how it will help maintain if it can't maintain already. If the internal regulator is set at 40 and it starts to drop pressure, the regulator is going to try and correct the pressure. Same thing if it is at 20 psi. If I am dropping all the way down to 5 psi, the regulator will be all the way shut to divert flow being at either setting (40 or 20). I can pretty much bet that if I set it to 20 psi, it'll still drop to 5 psi at the end of the pull. If my start pressure was 40 and it dropped to 21, i can see setting it to 20 and it won't move.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by chrleb1

Again, how do I turn down the pressure? It came from the box that way.
I know that if you unhook the return from the pump, the check ball and spring come out. If you take the spring and compress it, that should lower the psi that it checks at. If not then I have it backwards...either way the spring in the return side of the pump is the key to raising or lowering the psi. Mine came flowing at 12psi, which I thought was too low, pulled out the spring, adjusted it and am now making a solid 20psi (when I am not below a 1/4 tank).
Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007 5.9
So those of us who currently are having 1/4 tank issues will have to buy the new ADII to resolve this???

Or will you guys have a kit or something to retrofit the current pumps to the new style???

Just trying to decide if I need to start saving money...
the ADII is a slightly bigger unit with an adjustable regulator.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Umm.. Ty.... Our fault?? If you go look at the first couple of post, both Rob and I knew what we wanted. Airdog said "no, you guys can't have that". I never said I was mad about the pump issue.... Actually in the first or 2nd post, i believe that was said exactly. The first post from Airdog was pump installation problems, rather than saying, "hey, your truck might be putting down more power than the pump can support. Let's do something to rememdy this problem." I was not attacking them at all. Maybe it really can't support my truck.
I just assumed you guys had these pumps and continued adding performance which may have gotten you to the point it really couldn't handle it and then blamed the pump. Starting with the obvious is usually the best way to figure out a problem and that would be installation. That's the only reason that was brought up.

My truck isn't as built as both of yours but, I can use up some fuel. My psi is set at 12 and the most it will vary from there is to 10psi but, rarely. It is a Raptor though but, the airdog has the same pump. I guess the fact you guys are dropping that far may be the difference between 700hp and 900. Those are some huge drops though !
Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
dang dudes... AirDog comes on here to try and help and you tear into him. Yeah, some of us know what we're doing but, we don't have the R&D equipment Pure Flow does. If they claim is flow x psi... that's what it does.

Maybe the reason I don't have the issues you guys are is I DID run 1/2" all the way. It's not much of a restriction but, by going to 3/8" you cut the volume down. I'm not saying that's your problem but, there's no need to claim a product is trash because you think it's not keeping up. As it was mentioned... the 2 trucks in question here are far from the norm. Maybe you do have fuel issues and if so... that's your fault for not anticipating the amount of fuel your were going to need before your trucks got where they are in HP.

Pure Flow has been making pumps for OTR trucks for a long time. I do think they know something about what they're doing. When a vendor comes here to try and help and gets what you guys gave him... I wouldn't blame him for not trying to help again. Like my mom always said... you get more with honey than you do with vinegar.

Did you know the Stuckey's ( the Green Machine ) truck runs an AirDog ? None of our truck are near as fast or use near the fuel that truck does.
Onetun's truck is as close to perfectly rigged as I've ever seen...The attention to detail is incredible and needs to be seen to be appreciated.
I agree about the honey and vinegar thing, but Onetun was told by the vendor that the pump would keep up and it doesn't. Pure Flow is not alone in this, but they should re-test the advertised flow at 10-12psi and then the public relations problem will go away.

Your truck has much smaller injectors than Onetun's...So that comparison is not valid.

Stuckey runs a 12v and as such has differing lift pump requirements.

Onetun should make very close to if not over 1000Hp on #2 and needs a huge amount of fuel.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 PM

It could be that the pumps are flowing the 150 gph. What I have been trying to figure out is if the motor is actually using more than the pump will support. Maybe we reached the end of the 150's ability.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 PM

If my start pressure was 40 and it dropped to 21, i can see setting it to 20 and it won't move.
Agree completely. You may be outside the most efficient range of the pump at higher pressures, but 20psi is 20 psi whether you start there, or cross that point on your way down to 5psi. If it was going to be able to keep up at 15 psi, it would drop to 15psi and stay.

On a side note, I'd bet my money that Erick installed the pump correctly since he makes his living working on high performance diesels.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:02 PM
DTR Advertiser

Eric you probably do need more pump. At 850 hp on fuel my standard mitusa could not keep up. It is not the factory canister however. I use it on mine, only difference is I have a billet aluminum top. I also draw through a 2 micron stand alone filter, it is on the suction side of my mitusa. It is also is not the lines, I use 3/8" from the draw tube to the pumps. With a stage 2 mitusa (275gph) I start at 22psi and go up to 25 psi at 3k rpm. Dyno or 1/4 mile my press is between 22-25 psi. What does the airdog 250 require as far as install mods? That should support your goals. Tim
Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 PM

Hey Tim,

Does Opie have the top mount Mitusa figured out yet?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:05 PM
DTR Advertiser

I am supposed to get a test unit next week. I will let you know when it is good to go. We were waiting on a bracket yesterday, but it should be in Monday or tuesday. Tim
Old 10-16-2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Timinva
Eric you probably do need more pump. At 850 hp on fuel my standard mitusa could not keep up. It is not the factory canister however. I use it on mine, only difference is I have a billet aluminum top. I also draw through a 2 micron stand alone filter, it is on the suction side of my mitusa. It is also is not the lines, I use 3/8" from the draw tube to the pumps. With a stage 2 mitusa (275gph) I start at 22psi and go up to 25 psi at 3k rpm. Dyno or 1/4 mile my press is between 22-25 psi. What does the airdog 250 require as far as install mods? That should support your goals. Tim
Thanx Tim for the insight. On my truck it comes out of the tank with the supplied line and draw straw. From the pump it splits to two -6 lines and each one feed a cp3. I bypassed the factory canister because of the filters on the pump.

When you get the mounting for the Mitusa pump for the Fluidamper trucks, can you send me some pics and info.

As for the requirement for the AD 250, I have no clue what is needed for it. Again, they would not sell me one because i would never use up all the fuel the AD 150 would supply.

Quick Reply: Airdog 150/ do I have problems or what?