3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog 150/ do I have problems or what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there will be video of Rob's runs on saturday, probably late sat night... depends on when i get home from BD..
Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2007 5.9
Does your "Gusher" pump have a regulated return or non regulated??? In other words can one control the amount of fuel that goes back in the filler neck or where ever it goes???
It only draws from the tank what the engine actually needs. I am waiting for for one of the trucks to get to 1500 hp so we can role out the next larger pump which will be good for 2790 real world hp.

Sorry I can't help you with the theory, to prevent further copying it has become proprietary.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by OPIE
One of my customers runs the Liberty module and feeds my Gusher pump setup with it. I don't know what hp you are at but he has never reported any such problem and he is very competitive and runs it in 10.99 index races.
The pumps return goes to the filler neck? I assume his 10 second truck has a FP gauge?

My (measely) 443HP has nothing to do with it, the AD pumps more fuel than the canister can feed it with when the tank's low on fuel.

I don't know why some say theris works going to the filler neck, but I know mine didn't and my little experiment with the 5 gallon pail of fuel supports what I found, 2007 5.9 is in the same boat it sounds like.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by OPIE
It only draws from the tank what the engine actually needs.
This is precisely why your guys dont have 1/4 tank issues. The AD set-up draws the same amount of fuel all the time no matter what, where your pump only draws whats necessary.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
The pumps return goes to the filler neck? I assume his 10 second truck has a FP gauge?

My (measely) 443HP has nothing to do with it, the AD pumps more fuel than the canister can feed it with when the tank's low on fuel.

I don't know why some say theris works going to the filler neck, but I know mine didn't and my little experiment with the 5 gallon pail of fuel supports what I found, 2007 5.9 is in the same boat it sounds like.
So what if we toss the Liberty Module out of the equation....with just the DS in the tank....do people STILL have low fuel isses??? I wonder if by adding the canister we created another problem???? I know of many people with a GDP/FASS set-up with just a DS that have no issues and they have a gauge, my buddy JP has a GDP with a Auto-Meter gauge (mech) and can run the tank down to (0) miles left on the overhead and not have a FP issue. And he just has a 1/2" DS and return to the filler neck.

What if I install two pick-ups but on the bottom of the tank in the front and back so that either one is covered all the time....would this solve all issues???

I am running out of ideas and becomming increasingly frustrated..with all this. I am tired of those who have no problems saying.."Quit complaining, I dont have issues so I dont care."
Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 AM

This is precisely why your guys dont have 1/4 tank issues. The AD set-up draws the same amount of fuel all the time no matter what, where your pump only draws whats necessary.
Okay, sorry, I missed that. So your pump is similar to the Raptors that way. If I'd known I was going to have this problem I just woulda gone to the Raptor to begin with.

So what if we toss the Liberty Module out of the equation....with just the DS in the tank....do people STILL have low fuel isses??? I wonder if by adding the canister we created another problem???? I know of many people with a GDP/FASS set-up with just a DS that have no issues and they have a gauge, my buddy JP has a GDP with a Auto-Meter gauge (mech) and can run the tank down to (0) miles left on the overhead and not have a FP issue. And he just has a 1/2" DS and return to the filler neck.

What if I install two pick-ups but on the bottom of the tank in the front and back so that either one is covered all the time....would this solve all issues???

I am running out of ideas and becomming increasingly frustrated..with all this. I am tired of those who have no problems saying.."Quit complaining, I dont have issues so I dont care."

People were using the draw straw and sucking air, it's a huge tank, just imagine going up or down a hill or around corners with only a few gallons in the tank, they had the same problems (sucking air) unless they got the draw straw length just right. That's what first got people like 53 ****** experimenting with the canister mods.

With 2 draw straws I think when 1 of them sucks air you're still gonna have problems.

If I were you I'd drop the tank, remove the canister and mod it like I did, an easy 1 day job if you get all the parts ahead of time. Run it as low as you dare, then remove the AD bypass going to the filer neck and point it into a gerry can, fire it up and you'll empty the excess fuel into the gerry can so the fuel tank is nice and light, no floor jack required. (I've had my tank out 5 times). It'll fix your problem for sure, will only take a day to do and you'll be a happy camper...
Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Okay, sorry, I missed that. So your pump is similar to the Raptors that way. If I'd known I was going to have this problem I just woulda gone to the Raptor to begin with.

People were using the draw straw and sucking air, it's a huge tank, just imagine going up or down a hill or around corners with only a few gallons in the tank, they had the same problems (sucking air) unless they got the draw straw length just right. That's what first got people like 53 ****** experimenting with the canister mods.

With 2 draw straws I think when 1 of them sucks air you're still gonna have problems.

If I were you I'd drop the tank, remove the canister and mod it like I did, an easy 1 day job if you get all the parts ahead of time. Run it as low as you dare, then remove the AD bypass going to the filer neck and point it into a gerry can, fire it up and you'll empty the excess fuel into the gerry can so the fuel tank is nice and light, no floor jack required. (I've had my tank out 5 times). It'll fix your problem for sure, will only take a day to do and you'll be a happy camper...

Ok, so it all started with people still having issues with pulling air with the DS's. Ok, on to another theory....
Old 10-23-2008, 01:30 PM

IMHO...

I like the Liberty canister mod as the factory pump in tank and using a DS idea in the tank is the wrong answer.

These fuel supply problems still being around is very, very, very silly.

Two pickup tubes would require float/flow valve on each line do to when one lost prime, the connection that both pickups joined it would take air over fuel.

This should not be on the customer to fix or make work. There are a couple fixes I know of for this and they are all simple. But that job belongs on the shoulders of the vendor, hopefully they will get around to fixing it soon.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:44 PM

Clearly this thread has become a discussion about 1/4 and airdog issues - which works for me, sorry. I'm ready to buy a 100 for my basically stock '01 3500 (so I dont think I can use the liberty mod?). I have a stock fuel pickup but am totally prepared to do whatever mod is required to make the airdog function correctly. Obviously, routing the return to the filler is a no, no. Does anyone know, can I mod my original canister (drop the return back into the canister) to make the airdog function correctly? Can I get by with standard 3/8 "plumbing"? Can I continue to run my stock filter as well? If these question belong in another thread please re-direct me. I've done a bunch or research on both airdog and fass but dont want the 1/4 issues (I would like to use the remaining 8 gallons when I'm in the middle of BFE). What do ya think?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 AM

Clay, you can run the stock filter but most people take it out of the system since you can get a 3 micron filer for the AD.
I think you'sd be fine using 3/8" plumbing with the AD100, but the AD comes with 1/2" so why not use it? You can also get it with the barb fitting that attaches right to the factory feed from the canister so maybe you can use the factory supply like I did¿?

I'm not familiar with your canister but I can't see why you couldn't mod it similar to what I or *****'s did...?

Using the Raptor would make things a lot simpler though...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

how about a swinging pickup assembly? one that moves with the fuel sloshing? that way, the pickup screen would always stay submerged...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by AirDog
2 micron haha
Ummmm....howd ya get that one???

From Pureflow's site...

Most Compact System Available for the Pickup Truck.
Only 7” L x 3.2” W x 10” H
High Efficiency, Long Life Gerotor Fuel Pump
Lower Cost Replacement Filters
3, 5, and 10 Micron AirDog® Fuel Filters Available
*Stratapore Inside
Relay Controlled Wiring Harness

Low Fuel Pressure Warning Light Available
Includes Wire Screen Water Separator
Lifetime Waranty
90 Day Satisfaction Guarantee
* Stratapore is a registered trademark of the Fleetguard Corporation.

Quick Reply: Airdog 150/ do I have problems or what?