3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog 150 Or 100?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lmills
I run mine down to 1/8 tank with my air dog. I think the biggest thing is installing the drawstraw at the right height
I think your right...I also think that lifting the truck bed to install the pick-up may help....if you jack the tank down in the middle of the tank it could flex the bottom of tank up..then when you lower the jack after the install the tank would drop back down and you would lose the small 1/16"-1/8" gap that is SOOOO important.....
Old 12-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well guy's I went ahead and ordered the airdog 100
Any install tip's? What tools will I need? Teflon tape or paste? Thanks for your help!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Super Googan
Well guy's I went ahead and ordered the airdog 100
Any install tip's? What tools will I need? Teflon tape or paste? Thanks for your help!
I like this stuff for thread sealer..it's compatible with just about anything and seals everything
http://www.highsidechem.com/leaklck.html
I use the blue stuff
Old 12-22-2007, 12:34 PM

What ever you use just dont use teflon tape paste works alot better for hyd or fuel systems. A piece of the tape can come off and clog a injector or hyd valve.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:52 PM

I've got a post called "New wastegate, Boost elbow, or plug it ??" and my last post describes a problem I just realized which I'm pretty sure is the lift pump. I plan to check the pressure between the lift and the high pressure pump, but I haven't done any research. I'm sure glad this thread got started. Would Air Dog be my best option?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:06 PM

Been reading all the post about Airdog and everyone that has one say the love it. Is it just the knowledge of what it's doing. What are the noticable gains, mpg? power ?? The company claims these things but I haven't actually heard any owners say it. Anyone find an increase in mpg or noticable power?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 PM

I am waiting for 53 ****** to do his truck. He is going to do his truck tomorrow, then he is going to high-tail from Utah up to SoCal & do my truck. I will help him a little by passing him beer while he works. A true win-win situation for both parties. I will even give him a case of beer that has not been neutered.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanx ******.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jmccart
I am waiting for 53 ****** to do his truck. He is going to do his truck tomorrow, then he is going to high-tail from Utah up to SoCal & do my truck. I will help him a little by passing him beer while he works. A true win-win situation for both parties. I will even give him a case of beer that has not been neutered.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanx ******.
buy me a smarty and I will leave right now.....I am installing my AD150 this week for sure....I will take a ton-o-pics and post any tips I can think of along the way
BTW free non Utah beer might be worth the drive tho...lol
Old 12-22-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by CLeger67
Been reading all the post about Airdog and everyone that has one say the love it. Is it just the knowledge of what it's doing. What are the noticable gains, mpg? power ?? The company claims these things but I haven't actually heard any owners say it. Anyone find an increase in mpg or noticable power?
I'm curious too and no-one says which leads me to believe the usual about mpg or hp increase claims. Doesn't make sense. All it does is maintain a good steady fuel pressure. Which the heavily bombed trucks need to prevent draining the rail and to my way of thinking this only means better throttle response. I guess you could say not starving the rail helps you to reach your full potentional putting power to the ground and that's why they claim that. Not sure I would even notice that on my lightly modded ride I never have that problem anyways. But getting the water and air out of fuel seems like plenty good benefit to me.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:09 PM

i think the improvement, besides better quality and availability of fuel, is that with the fuel improvements, you get more of the possible hp out of your existing mods.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never notice a MPG, HP or TQ increase on my 01. I did notice the motor was quieter. I haven't got one put on the 06 yet. Maybe after X-mas. We'll have to see how much money the wife left me if any.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 AM

About the only thing you'll be able to notice is the motor will run a bit smoother and quieter at idle and seem to start quicker.
The real benefits over stock are more flow and much better filtration. If I bought a new truck this would be one of the first mods. The next would leveling.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ryfrat
Is there a way to correct the 1/4 tank problem?
As long as the draw straw is intalled correctly you shouldnt have too worry....i can drain my tank down to empty with my FASS no problem....in fact last tank I filled up with 39.909 gallons....not too shabby for a 36 gallon tank.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:11 PM

Let me make a statement about the fuel economy issue and the hp gains. All of our lab and university studies and testing has been done on large diesels, not pickups. These engines all have either unit injectors or injector pumps with injector lines leading to nozzles in the head. These systems all suffer from retarded injection timing caused by the presence of air and/or vapor (entrained air in the fuel passing to the injection system and/or vapor from pump cavitation). The dyno tests show an increase of about 25 hp. The horse power rating of a class 8 truck engine isn't the issue, its the torque output. These tests have shown a torque rise off idle of 106% (snappy throttle) and a peak torque increase of 6%. Additionally, the torque doesn't drop off at the higher rpm's as the positive pressure from the Preporator to the transfer pump eliminates cavitation, no retarded injection timing. These types of improvements can be expected from smaller engines with the similar injection systems. The Cat 3054 engine used in the ISO 8178 8 Mode tests a Olsen Labs in Fullerton, CA is much smaller than the 5.9 Cummins. However, the results were similar to those of the big engines.

One of the biggest issues with fuel mileage and performance mods on diesels is the problem of keeping you toes out of the nozzles. Kind of like keeping your foot out of the carburetor of a fast car. And reduced emissions, like I never went to a pull....cough..smile...cough!!

In a stock, or not over fueled engine, restoring factory correct injection timing by removing entrained air from the fuel and preventing vapor from cavitation does improve fuel economy, torque, and exhaust emissions. In the common rail engines, removing the air and maintaining a good positive fuel flow that meets and exceeds the needs of the engine will have a positive affect on the performance of the engine. Air in the fuel also has a potential to damage the injection system and removing this air will reduce or virtually eliminate this issue.

Just food for thought!

Charlie
Old 12-23-2007, 08:24 PM

air dog was a good movie think i will watch it tonight again