3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air intakes

OK, so I have been keeping track, and the paper air filter I use in my truck trips the "filter minder" into the "you need to change your air filter" end of the green/beginning of the red zone at about 6000 miles (10,000 Km) for the past 6 changes. I have tried fleetgaurd, fram, and mopar paper air filters, all in the stock box. None last very long. When I take the paper filter out, they look to be what I would consider 50% dirty. In Canada, these things are about $25 to replace each time. I do not drive in excessively dusty conditions - I do almost all on pavement driving. I do use a Hypertech programmer, and I'm sure it adds more boost as my scangauge2 flatlines at 37.4 on the MAP reading long before the turbo is done spooling by ear. I feel the stock intake system filters best, and works great for stock power settings, but I think mine makes more boost and is sucking more air than the factory air box can filter and stuff into the engine past the paper air filter, hence the filter minder getting tripped early.

I have been considering buying an aftermarket air intake & filter system, but I don't like the oiled gauze type (K&N etc), as I don't believe they filter as well as the factory paper filter set up. I had one on my 2002 and it let some fine dust past it into the intake tube. Not what I'm looking for. I want something that filters as good as the stock set up does, but allows more air in.

Filtering ability is important to me, but so is performance.

Suggestions?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Don't use K&N if filtration is important to you. They let too big of particles through.

Try either swiss cheesing your air box bottom, or cutting one large hole and making a cold air pipe for it.

You can also remove the baffles out of the intake tube.

The new 6.7 filters are a lot bigger, and fit in our airboxes, from what I understand. Look here.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 AM

The filter minders are not known to be accurate. I could pull mine down simply by making a hard pull even with a new filter. Nothing wrong with a better intake though. I made my own with parts from Airflowonline.com
Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 PM

The newish Power Core filters from Donaldson and Volant seem to be pretty good. I have a Volant cold air with this filter and it appears to flow at least as well as the oiled gauze but is a paper-type filter using a micro-fiber cloth for the media. All of the documentation reads good. I have had it on there for about 10k and will be checking it here soon for how dirty the filter is and if it is letting anything by. Will post results soon.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I looked at them all and decided to go with the Volant due to price and having a Donaldson dry filter. I am a big fan of Donaldsons endurance oil filters, and I am sure I will be a big fan of their air filter. I like the fact its a dry filter, and I trust the name. You can do the stock air box mod which seems to work well is cheap and has a lot of good write ups. Good luck whatever you decide.