3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Air Intake Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 10:46 AM
zog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Intake Questions???

I am thinking about an aftermarket intake system for my 2004 CTD...two questions first:

1...is there any REAL performance gain, or isit just a lot of hype?? They look neat, but do they really work? I have read a lot to the contrary..

2...I am strongly considering the AIRAID system, but wondered if there is a lot more NOISE from any of the intake kits....I really like the quiet,,,,thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 11:07 AM

The turbo whistle will be louder. Most people like the way it sounds though.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:08 AM

Re: Air Intake Questions???

Originally posted by zog
I am thinking about an aftermarket intake system for my 2004 CTD...two questions first:

1...is there any REAL performance gain, or isit just a lot of hype?? They look neat, but do they really work? I have read a lot to the contrary..

2...I am strongly considering the AIRAID system, but wondered if there is a lot more NOISE from any of the intake kits....I really like the quiet,,,,thanks
1. By themselves, not really. You might notice a little quicker spoolup, but the main reason for intake and exhaust is to lower EGT's and enjoy that wonderful sound.

2. If you want quiet, make sure to keep your stock intake tube. I put the AFE system on my truck and with just the filter it got a bit louder, but when I installed the torque tube, the whine really came through. I like it!

If you don't plan on adding a power box to your rig, just get a better flowing filter for your stock airbox and leave things alone. If you plan to BOMB, get the intake and exhaust first, along with gauges.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:55 AM

Performance gains based soley on air intake systems are subtle and will mostly show in the form of lower EGTs and small increases in turbo spool up. Open style intakes tend to be louder than stock. As long as you are considering a new intake a Turbo Air Guide (TAG-III) can also help to get more air in and improve throttle response, lower EGTs and some mileage increases as well especially when towing.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:29 PM

1. If your truck has a power module/programmer, an intake kit will give you more cool air for more power and lower egt's. They do work.

2. Slightly more turbo noise with intake kit, a lot more whistle with torque tube
Old 05-04-2005, 01:03 PM

I put the Airaid on. I notice a little bit more turbo noise. Im thinking of taking the silencer ring out and the white plastic thing in the elbow.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:29 AM

I noticed about a 75-100 degree reduction in EGT with the muffler removed from my truck and the torque tube and a drop in PG-7 filter. I have drilled out the bottom of the air box. Even when I had the original filter and intake tube I noticed how quickly the filter minder would show a restriction. I drilled the bottom out and saw a noticable reduction in the vacuum in the box. The stock air box is very restrictive. I also would say most of the EGT reduction I noticed was after the intake mods. Just removing the muffler showed no real reduction in max EGT.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:13 AM

Cotton gauze filters flow more air than paper but pass a lot more dirt also; there are many threads about this. I would recommend a foam filter, either the Scotty Air if you just have to junk the stock air box or Trueflow http://www.trueflow.com makes a nice drop in for the stock box. Get a hole saw an cut a 4 inch hole in the bottom of the stock box and then you can use a dryer vent and some flex dryer hose to draw the air from where ever you wish. I purchased the Trueflow drop in and made the mod to the bottom of the box and I never pull the air filter minder down any more.

If you want the Scotty Air 3 it is available from many dealers including Dave Meheen over at
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com. He has been a great guy to work with for the moderate BOMB-ing of my 03 HO CTD.

Good luck,..............dogger
Old 05-05-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by dogger
Cotton gauze filters flow more air than paper but pass a lot more dirt also; there are many threads about this.
I would qualify that by saying "Some cotton gauze filters may pass more dirt if improperly installed or maintained." The properly installed and maintained AFE PG7 with prefilter has been shown to block more dirt than the factory filter. That's good enough for me!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by thejeepdude
I would qualify that by saying "Some cotton gauze filters may pass more dirt if improperly installed or maintained." The properly installed and maintained AFE PG7 with prefilter has been shown to block more dirt than the factory filter. That's good enough for me!
Well put. Installation is very important as is overall quality of the filter and its pleats where applicable.

Scotty
Old 05-05-2005, 04:30 PM

I have to say the Scotty 3 was my first mod and you wont regret it. Seat of the pants is very noticable, it feels like the turbo spools up with less resistance. Only bad part is you will not want to stop bombing after you stop If you dont want much more noise then leave the stock air tube in, you will still notice the difference. All around a good mod no matter what you pick
Old 05-09-2005, 01:24 PM

Will the RA3 work with a torque tube ?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:26 PM

Anyone running the SP Diesel tube/filter? I'm ordering the Eliminator soon and will probably get an intake at the same time...

and for those who are running it, is the filter paper or cloth?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by wild4stangs
Will the RA3 work with a torque tube ?
The Torque tube with its hard plastic tube does not fit well with the Scotty RA3. If you want a new tube to connect the Scotty to the turbo we have found the Cool Blue hose to fit very well by trimming about 2" off the filter box end of the Cool Hose.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by 4x4not
Anyone running the SP Diesel tube/filter? I'm ordering the Eliminator soon and will probably get an intake at the same time...

and for those who are running it, is the filter paper or cloth?
Anyone know an answer to my question?

Quick Reply: Air Intake Questions???