3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Air helper systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I had the only bad experience with air bags. But I had an Air Lift sytem on and sent it back. Problem I had is that the bags take out the bump stops and your bags are now your bump stops.

Maybe this is just a dually problem, but I need the back of my truck to truck about 3" to ride level with the trailer on. When it drops that far the bags are bottomed right out flat!!!

Air lift says you have to add air to always have it at empty ride height. Well that is just fine and dandy but then I have to shorten the neck on the goose neck and then the neck is really close to the box sides. I would think this would be even more of a problem with a 5ver.

Really I don't need them to level the truck, was just looking for a better ride. The truck may sit about 1" low in the back when I have my 40' gooseneck on it with 2 trucks.

On the second gen trucks where the bags were mounted outside the frame rail this wasn't a problem. Now they are smashed between the axle tube and the frame.

Riderite does seem like they have a skinnier mounting bracket system then what Airlift does, this would help a little bit, but I am afraid to try another system.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by commando
Mopar_Mudder,

No, I think your information and experience are accurate and valid. I think the difference might be the leveling kit. As I recall, in your application you wanted the truck to squat a bit to run level and maximize clearance between your trailer and the bed rails. In this situation, the intentional squat plus compression while driving lead to bottoming out.

In my application, the truck is level at baseline so anytime I add a load I add air so there is no squat allowed. I believe this allows me to keep from using my air bags as bump stops.

I had a hard time visualizing your complaint about the design until I got under my truck to do the install. Then it was very clear that you had a valid concern with the product.

I have the Air lift product.
Ya a leveling kit would solve the problem. Don't know that I really want to raise my dually that extra amount when I use it for towing only, have much bigger and better things to take off-road.

I considered cutting off the gooseneck on my trailer and raising it, decided that it just wasn't worth all the effert. Kelderman makes the system that replaces the rear shakles with air bags, which would do exactly what I want. But you have to cut the shackle mounts off the frame to do it, not real crazy about that.

http://www.keldermanmfg.com/productd...p?id=03DDGREAR
Old 01-16-2005, 10:15 PM

kelderman

mopar - mudder i just recently installed a kelderman set up you described on the rear of my buddies 3rd gen and i have to say the install was easy and the product worked great. it worked so well he purchased the setup for the front and i installed it also. the ride is greatly improved. he hauls a triple axle 5ver weighing i believe 18500 loaded and it works perfectly.
hey oops do you remember what cadillac you got that compressor off of . i would like to fab a setup for myself.
d12
Old 01-16-2005, 11:02 PM

talk to scotty he had some issues he was working on
Old 01-16-2005, 11:17 PM

Re: kelderman

Originally posted by durango12
hey oops do you remember what cadillac you got that compressor off of . i would like to fab a setup for myself.
d12
Early 80's Caddy's, they also have them on some of the higher end Olds, Buicks, and Pontiacs. On the Caddys they are most of the time mounted on the drivers side of the engine compartment.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:43 PM

thanks oops i will start looking after i find one can you give me some pointers on setup?
d12
Old 09-12-2007, 11:42 AM

I just installed the Ride-Rite last night - got them from Summit on ebay - excellent transaction, fast delivery! They went in really fast and easy - I put the valves on the inside fender on the drivers side on the tab that hangs down from the wheel well by the frame. Put 50 psi and it lifted the truck a couple inches - the ride has improved and it doesn't feel like the back wheels jump over bumps like they used to and it made a big improvement! I haven't towed the trailer yet - but think that it will be great too. I worry about lifting the truck too much and rubbing the bed sides - otherwise I will try it out this weekend. So far I would suggest these for your truck - it is too bad you can't keep the stock bumps incase of severe overload.