3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Air filter differeces

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air filter differeces

So everybody seems to hate on the K&N filters, so what makes the other oiled filters better. It seems that all you heard was good things about K&N until the other companies started to make oiled filters. I have had a K&N on every vehicle I have owned except my Ram. I would like a drop in replacement for it but don't know what to get. I have never had any problems with any K&N's , but I don't want to have any either. I can just go buy a K&N in town but I would have to order any of the others.So does anyone know what makes the others better?
Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 PM

So I guess nobody seems to know the differences between the filters or what makes one better than the other. Maybe it is just all some marketing ploy! Well I guess I will try a K&N and if I have problems I will let everyone in on it. Hopefully it will work as good as it did on my 95 berreta. It picked up 3 mpg just buy dropping in the filter!
Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Filters

I've got the stock airbox w/PSM downtube. I've tried stock,Amsoil nano and now the AFE PG7 dropin. No detectable difference. I'm only running the Smarty on SW#1 in light of fuel prices and stock clutch.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Banned

I have the Banks CAI, in which uses a oiled K&N Filter. I have had no problems. Just don't over oil the filter and you will be good to go.

The only thing I hate about my filter. Is it's time consuming for the filter to dry when you clean it and letting it stand for about another 30 min after applying the oil. Good idea (which I'm going to do) is get a second one ready to go when cleaning the current one.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:27 PM

There's lots of posts on air filters...do some searching....

Everyone has a diff opinion....go with what you're comfortable with....

Personally, i like oiled foam filters....that's what they use in offroad vehicles that spend lot's of time in the dirt, so i have a comfort that the filtration is there....i use uni on my dirtbikes and trueflow on my truck...
Old 04-26-2008, 02:47 PM

I have the K&N drop in filter and have noticed no differance good or bad. Mileage seems to be the same.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:08 PM

Also, i think the real benefit is lower egt's and support of power mods....i'm not thinking there's a detectable diff in fuel mileage.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:51 PM

To find out if good or bad oil testing needs to be done on a regular basis for silicates.Any other way is just guess work until the BAD happens.Oil usage due to what is called a dusted engine.Extreme wear on valve faces,seats and rings.Unfortuneltly the reports that have been posted over time showed K&N to be one of the TOP of the air flow tests.They have also shown to be the HIGHEST in passing sand and silicates.Can't always have both features you know.Diesels suck in much more air with much more force the a Berretta gasser!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:55 PM

I have the AMSOIL nano and I have VERY low silicate #'s. While I was getting my gauges installed I saw an engine out of the truck that had been dusted from a K and N filter.. They were waiting on a new engine...
Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 PM

They will all brag up thier own filter obviously. I have the S&B and personally love it. I was at a rally in Canada and S&B was there performing filter test and made a believer out of me. There were guys their that took thier filters out of thier own trucks (me being one of them) and had S&B put thier filter through the same test. I was disapointed in the filter I had in my truck. The S&B filtered more dirt and debri and flowed more air. I love my S&B. I am sure that most other oiled filters are pretty comparible. That was just one test one day one time. Things may have changed since then..... I just know I like the filter I have.