3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Aftermarket tuners / stacking question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket tuners / stacking question

My truck is the California 235 hp so model with 48re auto trans. I have an intake and exhaust modification and a monitor to watch my trans, exaust temps and boost. I do not have a fuel rail pressure gauge.

I have a van aken pressure box c3.1 (currently off the truck) and a power pup on the performance setting. With the power pup in the performance setting my truck runs VERY good (better than stock) and shifts better as well. It gets about 22 (not hand calculated - just from the gague) and hand calculated is 3 miles per gallon less. Later I purchased the Van Aken 3.1 and plugged it in. Ran it on the default which was the high setting (power 2). This stack yield roughly another 2 mpg empty. Trans feels good and solid and my temps with just the power pup runs around 650 (pre turbo) on hwy cruise 68 mph.

With both tuners on my truck, the engine runs a little less smooth than just the power pup installed. The hp increase is noticeable but is not a huge power increase. Nonetheless the extra hp is welcome as I have a truck camper that I put the truck bed. My egt are about the same 650 with both stacked (unloaded). Transmission also feels good with both stacks.

Climbing mountains with the truck camper on and both boxes installed normally yields temps in the 950-1k range with it rarely going to 1100 for very brief period of time.

Question - with both boxes stacked, is the truck more efficient than with just the one box?

I am trying to keep the engine as reliable as possible while upping the hp and mpg. I know the two don't go hand in hand (more hp and more power) but trying to get a compromise of both. With the engine running a little "less smooth" with both boxes stacked I am wondering how do you tell when or if the two stacks is "too much". EGT's? if I am getting extra mpg with the 2 stacked is the engine more efficient - i.e. better for the engine to run like this?