3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Aftermarket suspensions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket suspensions?

I've been considering the KORE front and Carlie (sp?) rear suspension kits for my 2008 2500HD QuadCab Diesel. I'm looking for improved ride both on and off road and also no (significant) loss in tow capability.

Anyone have any experience with these?

thanks - Warner
Old 09-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned

Mini packs will let you keep your factory tow/haul factory rating. The mini packs will reduce rearend hopping/kicking for better control. The full leafs is where the nice ride in a 3/4 ton truck. You will need air bags for loads over #800lbs roughly. Is it going to ride like a caddy? NO!, but for a size of a truck we have. They make it day and night compared to stock. Also having a good shock comes into play on the ride too w/ the upgraded leaf packs. Atleast go w/ the 5100 Bilstien Shocks. Shocks are what give you majority of ride quality.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Actually I'm looking at a little bit more involved setup. For the front, I'm looking at the KORE Chase suspension upgrade shown below:

Kore Chase Page

minus the rear leaf packs.

For the rear, I'm looking at the Carli progressive spring pack shown below:

Carli PSP Page

PS: I already have airbags. Tows my 34' Mountaineer just fine.

Alternatively, I might go with a full Carli system.

Each of these systems provides progressive spring rates, rather than fixed rates as per stock (especially on the front). This will mean a softer ride, more travel, and still no bottoming out.

Total cost for the Kore Chase package (2.0 shocks, minus rear leaf packs) + Carli Rear setup is about $4k.

I'd just like to here from more people who have experience with this kind of mod. The guys I know who have serious aftermarket suspensions are into racing. I work in the oil fields and just want to be comfortable driving 10 hours on fwy/hwy/streets and then another two plus on a dirt road as fast as possible (often 50+).

The dodge has done surprisingly well at this, but I'd like to get it as close to the Tundra I used to use as possible. It sux to get to a job after a long drive and be so beat up that the next 10 hours is misery.

Thanks... Warner

PS: I already have (firestone) airbags. Tows my 34' Mountaineer just fine.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Banned

Go w/ the Carli 2.0 System w/ full leafs. The Bilstien 7100 are easier to dial in for valving for desired ride. I had both the KORE Race Packs and now Carli's Fulls. The KORE's have a higher spring rate than Carli's. Translate into rougher ride w/ the KORE Fulls. Same goes w/ the coils up front. I had a KORE Chase System and rode rough on the street w/ the Full Leafs. Unless your flying fast off road w/ KORE System (that's what they are built for). You may look into Carli or Don Thuren who have no compromise when on road and off road ride. They R&D for both (on road & offroad) w/ thier systems.

Your truck will ride good w/ the Carli 2.0 on oil field roads, fire roads, hunting spots, on road street surfaces, etc............

Your looking at roughly $3,300 w/ the 2.0 w/ full leafs.

GOOD LUCK.........................
Old 09-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Banned

If you do oilfield work, I would assume you're carrying tools/equipment? In my opinion, 2" shocks are too small. I have the 2.25" Lorenz system, and have oil leaking out of 2 of the shocks after a year of medium offroading.

For these trucks, I was told by some people not to go smaller than 2.5" shocks if your truck is heavier than stock. I didn't listen, but now wish I would have.

Lorenz sells a 2.5" kit for around $3500. If you're running larger than 35" tires, the Carli rear springs will keep the tires from rubbing during articulation.

You may also want to look at Thuren...

--Eric
Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by enafzige
If you do oilfield work, I would assume you're carrying tools/equipment? In my opinion, 2" shocks are too small. I have the 2.25" Lorenz system, and have oil leaking out of 2 of the shocks after a year of medium offroading.

For these trucks, I was told by some people not to go smaller than 2.5" shocks if your truck is heavier than stock. I didn't listen, but now wish I would have.

Lorenz sells a 2.5" kit for around $3500. If you're running larger than 35" tires, the Carli rear springs will keep the tires from rubbing during articulation.

You may also want to look at Thuren...

--Eric

They leak because the 2.25 SAW's have an internal resorvoir to try to keep the shock cool. Does not work. They will leak when they start to get hot and the oil can not circulate to keep cool. External resorvoirs do the job w/ cooling as long you know the size of the shocks limitation.

I am sure Sean will help you out.

You are also right about 2.5" shock compared to the 2.0's.. They (2.5 or bigger) handle our heavy trucks w/ confidents, but it's up to the end user to feel what's right for thier needs.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:23 PM

If your looking for a better on and off road ride, KORE isn't the answer. I have the Recon, I know it's lower end but the Chase has the same coils and they are NO better then stock on road, and the minimal off road they have seen it's no better either. I am totally unimpressed with Kore and taking mine off
Old 10-04-2008, 11:03 AM

Thank you all for the input. I will check out Thuren (anyone have a link?), but right now I'm leaning towards the full Carlie package. My primary interest is to get a better ride both on and off road. Frequently I will have a 10 hour on-road cruise (mostly freeway), followed by up to an hour off road (sometimes nice dirt roads, sometimes hellish), and then I have to work for a good 8+ hours. It sux to be beat up when you arrive at the rig and then have to pull 12 hours.

BTW: I do not carry a lot of extra weight in my truck, basically a couple of standard size tool boxes (lets say 80 lbs total weight), a truck tool box (maybe 250 lbs max), and a 5th wheel hitch (150 lbs), so about 500 lbs in the bed, most of it at the front.

Thanks again,

Warner
Old 10-04-2008, 11:30 AM

http://thurenfabrication.com/products.html
Old 10-04-2008, 11:40 AM

I have the Lorenz full leafs in the rear, and they're wonderful for improved street ride (i dont really offroad, so cant comment there)...

If i were doing a lot of offroad, definately go with full leaf rears, progressive front springs and the biggest dia shock you can afford...

I'm staying out of the Suspension Haters war (there's some on here that think suspension brand is as important as family) and will say get any of the Full offroad Kore/Lorenz/Carli/Thuren Setup....

Also, don't forget some of the extra's that are a good idea....like a Thuren Trackbar, Sterring Brace, and perhaps a stabilizer kit,...
Old 10-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Warner
Thank you all for the input. I will check out Thuren (anyone have a link?), but right now I'm leaning towards the full Carlie package. My primary interest is to get a better ride both on and off road. Frequently I will have a 10 hour on-road cruise (mostly freeway), followed by up to an hour off road (sometimes nice dirt roads, sometimes hellish), and then I have to work for a good 8+ hours. It sux to be beat up when you arrive at the rig and then have to pull 12 hours.

BTW: I do not carry a lot of extra weight in my truck, basically a couple of standard size tool boxes (lets say 80 lbs total weight), a truck tool box (maybe 250 lbs max), and a 5th wheel hitch (150 lbs), so about 500 lbs in the bed, most of it at the front.

Thanks again,

Warner
Warner,

Welcome to the site. Carli or Thuren would be the way to go. I have Thurens Coils, towers, Trac Bar, Bump stops, steering stabilizer, sway bar end links. I have Carlis full leafs for the rear, and 2.5" Kings at all 4 corners with Thurens Stage 3 valving. This setup, but with the Stage 2 valving for you would be perfect in my opinion.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:41 PM

MOTONATE,

What are differences b/w each stage?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Banned

Don does his valving for how you want your truck to handle on and off road. Stage one will be the best ride on road, with the ability to do some offroading. Stage 2 is alittle more towards dirt, rather than street, and so on. He has 4, maybe 5 diffrent valvings. Either way, its a MUCH better road ride than KORE. Carli does a pretty good job also.