3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Aftermarket Injector???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket Injector???

It seems these 3rd gens have injector issues and they really seem to be hit and miss. I was wondering anybody has had any issues with any of the aftermarket injectors failing, Don M, DPP, ect... If not is just seems to make more sense to swap out the factory injectors just as PM to avoid any future issues??? Yes?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

Aftermarket injector companies only modify the stock dodge oem nozzle and do no work to the injector bodies themself. Some comanies claim that their nozzles are stronger then stock and can take more rail psi then stock but not sure if anyone can verify this. I have had my fair share of injector issues 5 times stock and aftermarket and twice it killed my turbos due to oil viscosity breakdown due to so much fuel being in my oil. I would stick with II or DDP but others swear by don m F1s.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best thing you can do to keep those injectors happy is to make sure the fuel is as clean as possible. Get a secondary filtering system that filters down to 2 microns. Here's one source for you. http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/de...dept_id=08-001
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Banned

I agree with keeping the fuel system clean.The cr tolerances are very tight and there is alot of metals that also need to be filtered that even a 2 micron won't filter(though it's still a good pm) The cr's need a strainer that capture below 1 micron.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:21 AM

flux injectors? any thought about them
Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 AM

I'm asking more of a question then anything, are the aftermarket injectors failing? If not, then that seems like a good PM way to go, long term. I already know about additives, fuel filters, etc...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
I'm asking more of a question then anything, are the aftermarket injectors failing? If not, then that seems like a good PM way to go, long term. I already know about additives, fuel filters, etc...
An aftermarket injector can fail as easily as a stock one. Stock or aftermarket, it comes down to keeping junk out of the injector. I thnk aftermarkets may have a less risk, but that is just me.

My flux injectors rock. Don's Stage 5's have done over 1,200 hp and his stage 2's have done up 893 hp.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by chrleb1
An aftermarket injector can fail as easily as a stock one.

So you say, but are they? That's what Buckshotmckee is trying to find out.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
So you say, but are they? That's what Buckshotmckee is trying to find out.
I haven't heard of any Flux injectors go out.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason an aftermarket injector might not fail compared to a stock one in the same situation, is becuase of the enlarged holes in the tip. Basically, the aftermarket tips have to have either more or larger holes to flow more fuel. Thus, it is easier for dirt to get through and not clog the tip which is why the body fails.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by omaharam
The reason an aftermarket injector might not fail compared to a stock one in the same situation, is becuase of the enlarged holes in the tip. Basically, the aftermarket tips have to have either more or larger holes to flow more fuel. Thus, it is easier for dirt to get through and not clog the tip which is why the body fails.
That's about 1/2 of what I'm looking for. Thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Banned

I haven't heard of any F1's going bad around here. I have no troubles with mine since I have had them. But I also have a 3 micron filter on them too.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:41 AM

I'm going to upgrade my injectors. I'm think'n some 100hp sticks. I'm just trying to decided if its going to be sooner then later. I want this truck to last and I don't want a bad injector to ruin the motor like I've read in some cases. Even though it would be a reman motor if it came to that, I'm not crazy on reman parts.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

i am fairly certain that don's injectors are complete units manufactured from him, bodies and nozzles, not just a better nozzle on a stock body.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:22 AM

I have been considering aftermarket injectors for the same reasons as you, increase the lifespan on the truck I have. I have read tons of injector threads, looking basically for failure rates as compared to the stock injectors. What I have found is that most all who have an aftermarket failure have not added something to filter down the particles, or at least their sigs do not indicate the addition of a 2-micron setup on their fuel.

I have also noted that those who have installed aftermarket injectors who are not complaining about failures, seem to be happy campers, HAVE what appears to be comlete units-bodies and nozzles manufactured/supplied from Don. More sig reading to that information.

Those who appear to ALSO be talking GREAT fuel mileage are staying in the less than 100 hp nozzle range, but I really think that a 100hp nozzle couple with sensible skinny pedal usage will add up to a more reliable injector with less problems and better fuel mileage gains.

Just my 1/10th of a dime. CD

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Injector???