3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Which aftermarket clutch to buy?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM

Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta (Misplaced 'Merican from WA)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
centerforce?

I've been running a centerforce for about a year now and no issues (ok, maybe a little chatter at parking lot speeds)... anyone else out there tried one?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by tyson686
Called southbend and talked he Peter, he said the OFE - so I decided to pick one of them up. Should be in withing the week, paid for by dodge only had the truck for a month and have been complaing to them about slipping since I bought it. Thanks for all the info guys
What kinda power are you aiming for Tyson?
Like above, for stock to up to say 525HP I'd also recommend the OFE, pedal pressure is about the same as stock and it's only the slightest bit grabbier than the stock one, great for towing.

I wouldn't go DD unless you plan on lotsa HP, there's been people regretting going with the DD cuz of the noise, slow shifting and because they're very grabby, not good for towing.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 PM

I never had a problem with slow shifting, poor towing, or them being to grabby with my dual disc. I loved the thing and I have sworn that I will always have one. Once my stock clutch goes out on the current truck i will be back to a dual disc. My last truck was only making around 480 hp and the dual disc was perfect with it. I think it just depends on personal prefernce. In my opinion why buy a clutch that you know you will have to replace in the future if your wanting to add more hp. Buy a dual disc and youll never have to worry about it. Plus, i love the chatter they make. When you pull up to a gas station full of powerjokes and duracraps its awesome when they look at you and think your truck is a p.o.s cause the clatter that its making when you push in the clutch to stop. Little do they know there is nothing wrong with your truck and its really bad Edit. Just my two cents.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM

I don't want my truck to sound like a POS, see post 15, more on the 2nd page:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d-t241302.html
Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I don't want my truck to sound like a POS, see post 15, more on the 2nd page:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d-t241302.html
I had to shut the '98.5 down going through drive-ins for seven years. It's nice having a quiet truck now.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
What kinda power are you aiming for Tyson?
Like above, for stock to up to say 525HP I'd also recommend the OFE, pedal pressure is about the same as stock and it's only the slightest bit grabbier than the stock one, great for towing.

I wouldn't go DD unless you plan on lotsa HP, there's been people regretting going with the DD cuz of the noise, slow shifting and because they're very grabby, not good for towing.

Well the plan is, soon as i can afford it, is to rig up. So the truck will become a work truck, and i'll probably buy another dodge for a toy. so i'm not looking to make a heck of a lot of hp out of this one, and definatly not above 525.
how much more noise does the ofe make? the service manager called me back today and tried to talk me out of going with a southbend 'because of the noise' and 'having people come back not liking them' or something along those lines? i decided to stay with going with the ofe though
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM

My OFE is about a year old and is very quiet, I can't hear it at all idling with the clutch in or out.

I think after I bought mine they changed them and that's when they were getting noise complaints, the new ones are quiet though, double check to see if you're getting the latest model or call SB and ask them what to look for.

See post 19, I called SB and asked them about this:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t254051p2.html

Let us know how you like it.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:52 AM

That is true. I love the noise that it makes. I guess that its just personal preference. Either of the clutches are good clutches.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 PM

If you never plan on pulling a sled or boost lauching then I would stick with the ofe. They are alot faster shifting then waiting for the rpms with the dd. Every time I try grabbing gears it will grind a little if I don't wait a second. My younger brother has the sb ofe and it shifts like a dream. South Bend is a great company to deal with, peter will take care of you if anything were to go wrong with his recomendation.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:35 PM

just picked the truck up from dodge, i went with the ofe. drove home and love the clutch. definatly does have more pedal pressure, but i woudln't call it 'tough' do depress. as for the noise, it's not terribly loud, noticeable but not annoying by any means! super stoked, and i paid 34.60 for the whole deal. price of a tire rotation!
onto the next question here - is there any sort of break in peroid, or just giver? and as for the predator chip, can i run it on 3 and 4 now without any other upgrades?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 PM

Break in for 200-300 miles is what they recommend.
Good deal getting Dodge to do it for you, they didn't ask why you thought you needed a stronger one? Did they know about the Predator?

Glad you like it.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 PM

Alright, perfect. thanks.
Huge story why dodge paid for it all, long and drawn out anyways. But it all worked out in the end Only question they asked was what it was going to cost them, that was it.