3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Aftermarket Brakes anyone??? need advice, first brake job comming up

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Brakes anyone??? need advice, first brake job comming up

Hey Guys,

My brakes feel great on the dodge, despite the 37" heavy tires and 2000lb plus payloads I haul. The truck has about 24k miles on it.

I was told by the dealer last time that my rear pads are at 10%....

Before I give them money for overpriced stock parts, I was wondering if anyone knows what would be a decent, on the budget upgrade for my stock brakes?

Pads only? What brand? Rotors as well? ...what do you guys think. I could use a bit better stopping power with these tires and a load. One day I'll get an exhaust brake, but, not right now.

Let me know guys as I am gonna go in for another service shortly.

Thanks a lot.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 PM

Igor, I did a search a while ago on Frozen Rotors. Some people say its bunko but I took materials courses and the technology is relevant. They also sold pads that a lot of guys loved. I'll take a look for the email if you can't find it on search....The only other choice is Wilwood$$$. The Cryorotors were about the same as stock cross drilled and vented. ks
Old 01-31-2006, 09:51 PM

If you want squeaking all the time and more brake dust than switch to some aftermarket pads. I just don't think anyone makes as good a pad as O.E.

You should not need rotors and I'd be real suprised if your truck needs brakes at all. 24k sounds real early to me Good luck.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:08 PM

Igor, This should get you somewhere close. My rotors lasted about 100k km towing heavy before the e-brake. I know your into mud. It took the third set of pads to finish the rotors. ks

http://www.frozenrotors.com/store/bm...+Brakes&type=1
Old 02-01-2006, 01:01 AM

Thanks guys, they fell good to me, I'm gonna keep an eye on them myself and see how much material there really is.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:09 AM

Stay with mopar parts. Every truck I have used "high end" pads on I have ripped em outand gone back to stock.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:42 AM

Performance Friction

Try a set of these. I had great luck with them on my old Powersmoke F250. Only complaint was the dust.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2006, 03:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure you need brakes already?? Could the dealer be just telling you some BS to get you buy a brake job?

Mine look like new at almost 36K. I prob don't work my truck as much as you, but that still sounds mightly early to be talking replacing brakes in my opinion. Sorry I can't help you with a brake pad suggestion.....except to say id prob stick with OEM.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by brassnadz
Try a set of these. I had great luck with them on my old Powersmoke F250. Only complaint was the dust.
I have a set of PFCs on my Jeep and they work very well. I don't know about dust though because the Jeep has black steel wheels that have seen better days (read: rockrash!). When I need brakes for my Dodge I will probably get a set because they do so well on the Jeep.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not think you need rotors yet. I am trying to understad why the rears are bad before the front? that is a first. dust has alot to due with compound. If you buy ceramic pads the dust will should not be an issue.

how much are OEM rear pads? ceramic pads are probably $60-$80. If you go with aftermarket non ceramic withoug recomendation you just run the risk of dust. so I would just do whatever is cheaper. aftermarket ceramic or oem.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:32 PM

I second several comments...first I would get a second opinion on pad material remaining. 10% on the rear in 24K sounds kinda fishy. Usually fronts wear out first but not always. The next is to stick with Factory pads as they will provide decent wear, quiter operation and pretty good fade resistance. Aftermarket pads such as performance friction, Hawk, Etc have excellent stopping abilities but can be prone to squeal, usually wear rotors faster and sometimes don't last as long. I also agree that there is no way you should need new rotors yet. If you were going to get new rotors defintily look into getting rotors that are cryo'd or get the new ones cryo's as it would likely be the last set you would ever need to buy.

Definitly Recheck your brakes yourself first!

Also out of curiosity what dealership was it you went to?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:50 PM

Ya, I have never taken any of my vehicles into a shop for brakes, but in this case I have 1-3 days off here and there and am strapped for time. I also told them no, wanted to check myself as I thought it was kind of too early.

I went to Eastside, closes to my house. Might try Big 4 next time, after all, they do lifted dodges from the dealer and might have better staff to work on my truck.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:45 PM

I've heard Eastside is questionable. I've been to Big4 once based on a recommendation and was pleased, had very bad luck with Varsity previously. Liek I said I question needing rear brakes...unless mud or gravel wasn't cleaned out and caused premature wear but otherwise it seems early.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Igor
Hey Guys,

My brakes feel great on the dodge, despite the 37" heavy tires and 2000lb plus payloads I haul. The truck has about 24k miles on it.

I was told by the dealer last time that my rear pads are at 10%....

Before I give them money for overpriced stock parts, I was wondering if anyone knows what would be a decent, on the budget upgrade for my stock brakes?

Pads only? What brand? Rotors as well? ...what do you guys think. I could use a bit better stopping power with these tires and a load. One day I'll get an exhaust brake, but, not right now.

Let me know guys as I am gonna go in for another service shortly.

Thanks a lot.
Best bang for your $$ is NAPA premium rotors the $100 ones and NAPA severe duty pads $75.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:51 PM

i found out the hard way that our rear discs are vulnerable to having the caliper pins beat up and pitted from debris thrown form the front wheels so that they dont ''float'' when the brakes are released...I replaced a rear set of pads and put new caliper pins in my last truck after messing around in the mud all last summer...have a peek at the back calipers and see if the little rubber boot is trashed..if so..you are in the same boat as i was...anyway..there is a $100 fix..they make caliper guards that bolt on quick and easy and when i bought my new truck i had them put on from day one .. if you spend any time off the pavement they will pay for themselves after the first brake job

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Brakes anyone??? need advice, first brake job comming up