3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Aftermarket Air Filter question..AFE etc..

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Air Filter question..AFE etc..

I would like to get a good aftermarket air filter for my truck. I think my choice will be AFE (but pricey). Now my ? is which 1 to get? There is AFE stage 1, AFE stage 2, AFE stage 2 proguard 5, AFE stage 2 pro guard 7, AFE stage 2 mega cannon. All are between $300-$450 US. Which is better or the best of them? and if any1 knows of a company that makes similar filters with similar results please feel free to speak. Thanks and a merry xmas.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:20 PM

I will be running edge juice attitude, Cat and muffler delete with aero 4040 in their place and a glacier 392 . I have the hot unlock for the edge but wont use it much because I have STOCK tranny yet. But I will be upgrading tranny in future and plan to keep truck a LONG time. So does a aftermarket filter even pay for me?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:54 PM

I would advise you to seriously consider not to get an oiled filter media. There has been much discussion on various forums about oiled filters. The oil on the filter being "sucked" in the turbo and causing damage. Do a search on this site for air filter, and you should get lots of threads.

I have read numerous accounts, so I decided to go with a dry filter media. There are several out there--AFe, AEM, Amsoil, Icebox (which uses the Amsoil filter), as well as some I am forgetting. The advantage to dry filter medial is the ease of cleaning and no oil introduced into the turbo.

That said I wanted to get the AEM Workhorse with the polished tube. But I wasn't able to find any for an '07. Apparently they had some issues and made some changes---whatever! I ended up gettin the AFe Pro Dry Stage 2. Let me tell you, this thing really whistles. I love it. HUGE filter and large torque tube really opens up the intake air. I got it from Farmboys Diesel and they were really nice to talk to on the phone.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S&B Intake...$200...works great...replace the oiled filter with an Amsoil dry filter....still spent less money than most other intakes...'nuff said!
Old 12-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Banned

get the ****** whistler intake. IMO most aftermarket ones are a waste of money and i have experience with a few...honestly im back to stock right now

brett
Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Banned

We have S&B's on numerous trucks and they are doing their job and then some. You can't beat the price and for an extra $50 you can get a custom engraved plexiglass cover.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a Mac Performance intake. They can be had on e-bay for around $210. Threw the crappy Mac filter in the garbage and ordered an Amsoil 6080 nano filter w/pre-filter.Fully polished stainless,excellent fit.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

looks like the aem intake...

brett
Old 12-24-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by sallyman1
I would like to get a good aftermarket air filter for my truck. I think my choice will be AFE (but pricey). Now my ? is which 1 to get? There is AFE stage 1, AFE stage 2, AFE stage 2 proguard 5, AFE stage 2 pro guard 7, AFE stage 2 mega cannon. All are between $300-$450 US. Which is better or the best of them? and if any1 knows of a company that makes similar filters with similar results please feel free to speak. Thanks and a merry xmas.
If you want the best filtration and flow (BOTH!) go with the AFE Stage II with PG7. Also run the prefilter, helps keep the main cleaner longer. I seen allot of modded trucks with this "expensive" intake. Even seen guys with twins using the PG7. The only downside is you gotta pay attention when cleaning and oiling the filter. My silicone count, UOA was 3 last time. When I was running the stock intake it was 2, not a worry there! Never had any filter oil in the tube, sensor or turbo. In my opinion you also need to change your stock muffler, to balance the intake/exhaust. The only benefit gained with this setup, is if your using a chip,down loader or bigger injectors. Stock fueled engines don't gain any benefit, only turbo whistle. Merry Xmas
Old 12-24-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by N.Johnson
If you want the best filtration and flow (BOTH!) go with the AFE Stage II with PG7. Also run the prefilter, helps keep the main cleaner longer. I seen allot of modded trucks with this "expensive" intake. Even seen guys with twins using the PG7. The only downside is you gotta pay attention when cleaning and oiling the filter. My silicone count, UOA was 3 last time. When I was running the stock intake it was 2, not a worry there! Never had any filter oil in the tube, sensor or turbo. In my opinion you also need to change your stock muffler, to balance the intake/exhaust. The only benefit gained with this setup, is if your using a chip,down loader or bigger injectors. Stock fueled engines don't gain any benefit, only turbo whistle. Merry Xmas
Agreed, except with the stock power comment. I noticed a BIG increase with AFE stage 2- but I used the standard 24 media filter (their model that flows the most for the stage 2)
For everyday I use the PG7 and prefilter. Very low silicon numbers.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:01 PM

what do u mean silicon numbers? what and where do u see these numbers?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by sallyman1
what do u mean silicon numbers? what and where do u see these numbers?
When you have a used oil analysis done they measure the amount of silicone (ultra fine sand) in the oil. This represents how well your air filter system is performing.Basically 2 ppm is as good as I gets.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 PM

thanks. good to know.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:02 PM

any1 try the S&B intake? its only $200 shipped
Old 12-24-2007, 10:08 PM

also what does stage 2 refer to in these cold air kits? S&B has stage 2 and same with AFE

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air Filter question..AFE etc..