3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

After installing aftermarket exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desertram800
EW, eh? I was an FC, crossrated to MA! I might be getting stationed back down there in SD sometime this year! Anyhow, when I installed my Genos straighpipe I had that same problem, where the rear hanger would come out. I welded a 3-4" extention onto it and bent it up just a little bit and haven't had problems since! I also welded on and fabbed up two other hangers on the pipe to make it sturdier, it was really loose and kinda wobbly when it was a brand new truck.
Yep, EW...well, CTT now after this whole merger deal...not much of a DEAL if you ask me though. Don't know how it has been on your ships in the past, but on mine, FCs, ETs and GMs are pretty much the only ones that we get along with too much...not many have enough brain smarts to keep up with the conversations! LOL If you end up back down here, look me up...

Derek
Old 01-15-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Delux
whoa there guys, your all making things way to complicated and permanent, one of these will work fine if you get the right size that fits really tight, just snap it on behind the swell on the stud and it will hold fine plus if you trade your truck you can pull the exhaust of and put factory back on and nobody will ever no any different,other than torching,welding,and drilling!
Gotta say HillBilly - that right there was quick thinking, if his exhaust was like the stock mount - sounds like the straight rod is the problem in this equation.

As for other fixes mentioned... you cant jam nut or tack weld a rubber hanger to a sst post!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
Gotta say HillBilly - that right there was quick thinking, if his exhaust was like the stock mount - sounds like the straight rod is the problem in this equation.

As for other fixes mentioned... you cant jam nut or tack weld a rubber hanger to a sst post!!!
I think that what they were saying is that I could just spot weld a swell onto the end of the hanger itself on the exhaust so that it won't keep falling through the rubber hanger piece on the truck. Silverline should have thought that through a little better than they did. Other than the hangers being improperly designed, they are a pretty good exhaust, IMO. Thanks all

Derek
Old 01-15-2007, 08:08 PM

yeah, only reason i thought of this is because my bullydog has swells and slipped off in the rear because the size of the stud is smaller than factory and all i had at the time was 2 hitch pins with keys in them, so i figured id snap one on for the heck of it and do soemthing better when i got home and that was about 8 months ago, still holdin and with silverline being much more expensive im supprised that there hangers are troublesome!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hillbilly Delux
yeah, only reason i thought of this is because my bullydog has swells and slipped off in the rear because the size of the stud is smaller than factory and all i had at the time was 2 hitch pins with keys in them, so i figured id snap one on for the heck of it and do soemthing better when i got home and that was about 8 months ago, still holdin and with silverline being much more expensive im supprised that there hangers are troublesome!
Yeah, me too...I was REALLY upset the third time I got out of my truck to see that 5" tip hangin about 8" from the ground I wanted to do the work myself and even offered at the muffler place I went to today, but they told me I wasn't allowed to because of their insurance purposes so I had them spot weld a washer to the end of the back hanger push things up good and tight and spot weld a few spots on the exhaust where all the pieces come together, problem solved. He only charged me 15 bucks...not too bad for 10 minutes of his time huh? I didn't let him drive my truck across that ramp job that they had though Me and my wife are the only two people to ever touch that steerin wheel....

Derek

P.S. I am going to create about 10 different accounts and complain to Silverline about their hanger design...maybe I can make a difference? LOL
Old 01-15-2007, 10:54 PM

I thought that the hobby shop on dry side had welders??? Anyhow, a muffler shop shouldn't charge more than $10-15 bucks to do it.