3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

After installing aftermarket exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After installing aftermarket exhaust...

Did any of ya'll end up with any hanger problems? I took my stocker off a couple months ago and put the Silverline on there with a buddy...got all the hangers put on right, got all the clamps tightened up real tight, but have had my very BACK hanger (the one holding up the last piece with the tip) come loose three times now...real pain in the rear. I LOVE the exhaust, but WILL get rid of it if there is no fix for this.

Derek
Old 01-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Drill a hole in the end of the hanger and put a nail thru it and bend it over. It'll hold it like a cotter pin
Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
Drill a hole in the end of the hanger and put a nail thru it and bend it over. It'll hold it like a cotter pin
You know what...I was thinking that SAME exact idea...sorry, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at the enginuity of some folks...I'm a redneck, don't know about you, but that's why I thought of doing it...LOL So how hard is that steel exactly? Thanks!

Derek
Old 01-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
Shew...been drilling for about 10 minutes and have gotten about 1/16th of the way through it...that's some STRONG stuff had to take a break, but am going back in fellas...I'll let ya know when she's done

Derek
Old 01-14-2007, 05:24 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Take a torch and bend the end of the hanger so it won't come off.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Renegade bolt.

Maybe try some thread locker,or double nut it?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by derek.mckay
Shew...been drilling for about 10 minutes and have gotten about 1/16th of the way through it...that's some STRONG stuff had to take a break, but am going back in fellas...I'll let ya know when she's done

Derek
Take the bit to the bench grinder and put the edge back on it. IOW, sharpen it.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clayten
Take a torch and bend the end of the hanger so it won't come off.
I think that this would be the easiest route...now I just need to find somebody with a torch...hopefully they have them at the shop on base. Thanks, ya'll

Derek
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by i6DZUL
Take the bit to the bench grinder and put the edge back on it. IOW, sharpen it.
I take it you've never tried to drill through these hangers? I just went through three NEW titanium drill bits and barely got a dent in it. I'm just gonna have to go with the torch idea

Derek
Old 01-14-2007, 07:40 PM

just put a hose clamp on the end of it it wont pull thru
Old 01-14-2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by derek.mckay
I take it you've never tried to drill through these hangers? I just went through three NEW titanium drill bits and barely got a dent in it. I'm just gonna have to go with the torch idea

Derek
Actually, I have not. But back when I was in the yacht business, we made sure a good edge was on the non titanium 27/64 bit, a little bit of cutting oil and never ran the drill wide open when drilling thru 1/2 thick stainless. Never a problem. Sounds like a good plan with the torch.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:22 PM

just tack weld it.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 PM

EW, eh? I was an FC, crossrated to MA! I might be getting stationed back down there in SD sometime this year! Anyhow, when I installed my Genos straighpipe I had that same problem, where the rear hanger would come out. I welded a 3-4" extention onto it and bent it up just a little bit and haven't had problems since! I also welded on and fabbed up two other hangers on the pipe to make it sturdier, it was really loose and kinda wobbly when it was a brand new truck.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:05 AM

whoa there guys, your all making things way to complicated and permanent, one of these will work fine if you get the right size that fits really tight, just snap it on behind the swell on the stud and it will hold fine plus if you trade your truck you can pull the exhaust of and put factory back on and nobody will ever no any different,other than torching,welding,and drilling!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Banned

Well, after calling around the base shops where I would be able to just do this for free myself I found that NONE of them carry torches or welding products. The pin idea (Hillbilly Delux) I don't think will work...finding one that fits good and tight is all good and grand, but those heavy exhaust sytems move around a GOOD deal and I don't think that one of those would hold sturdily enough (it would slide back and forth especially since the Silverline hangers don't have swells, just straight steel with a bend that is obviously an inferior design and I will comment on that to them), and I have figured out that drilling through that stainless with even titanium bits proved useless because they just ended up breaking...reckon I'm just gonna have to suck it up and take it to a muffler joint and have THEM spot well a swell or two on those hanger ends for me, or maybe just bend the last hanger down some more so that it won't slide out anymore. Thanks for all the responses fellas. I really appreciate it.

Derek

Quick Reply: After installing aftermarket exhaust...