3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Afe stage 2 intall question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:45 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Afe stage 2 intall question

I just finished (sort of) intalling my new afe stage 2 with pg 7. I love the sound but the install kind of ****** me off. I will admitt that this is my first diesel but I am definately no newby to mechanicing. First the "L" bracket that goes to the intake box will no way no how mount to the box. Maybe I am havin one of those moments but the hole in the box was at least 6"s from the hole in the L bracket. Second to get the intake tube to bolt to the box almost was imposible, I had to push down as hard as I could on the tube to get the screw to line up and I am knockin on 220 lbs. Third, the boot on the tube insnt "butted up" to the turbo, it seems like plenty of seal but was wondering if I should be conserned. Like I said I realy like the intake and the sound but I am not happy with the install. Any body have any tips? Could it be the wrong L bracket? Am I just a dumby?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this on your truck or your ATV, could be the problem Had to sorry

I've had that happen also, sometimes it's like you swear somebody either just drilled the holes wrong or you got the one part that was wrong. I had my exhaust ordered from Mark, and one of the brackets was 3" shorter for the tail pipes (dual system) so yeah it was off, still haven't recieved the bracket, but I had to make my own. Sometimes you really have to just "modify" things a bit. My intake is Airaid and the filter rubbed the bottom so I had to move it up, well now it rubs the hood, but the chances of the hood putting a hole in the filter is way less than the corner of the air box. Things are just to tight these days, and all that, not that that's always a bad thing......
Old 01-05-2006, 09:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem as you. I think you're trying to mount the L bracket on the wrong bolt. At least that was my problem. See if you need to go up a little higher. Also, my boot does go all the way down. It is a tough install.

I just went out and took these pic's for you. Hope it help's.

http://community.webshots.com/album/158823240EZCKih/2
Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
wap

Bad, thanks so much, you hit the nail on the head. The pictures helped me A LOT. I think moving the box up a bit will help the boot go down the turbo a bit cause of the angel. Also a little tip I found, I heard of people havin a hard time with the bottom two bolts. Just take the inner fenderwell out. its 8 8mm screws, I do this also when changin my oil. It takes all of 3 minutes and it makes like so much easier. its one of thosethings you hate to do but once you do it helps a lot. Thanks again man you saved me.
Will
Old 01-05-2006, 09:57 PM

Hey,,,,I'm just here to help. So was it infact you had the bracket on the wrong bolt. I swear I did the same thing. If it came with better picture's,,,we wouldn't of had these problem's now would we. Did you at least have the right gasket for the sensor. Mine was wrong. But that a whole other story.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 PM

As far as the oil change, does that mean you're going to have to remove your air box each time. Personally, I just use a long extension and go in from the bottom with out any problem's.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Banned

I had the same problem when I installed mine, don't feel bad. The bolt is hidden from you and they don't really tell you that.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:42 AM
wap

Yeah I was on the wrong bolt, I will fix it tonight.
I know what you mean about the instructions, they do pretty much suck. I got my guages from dieselmanor and talk about a set of directions, everybody that sells anything should use those as a referance. I just hope one day somebody needs help with something like this and I am there to help, this site is great.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:44 AM
wap

Bad, how long ago did you get your afe? I was lookin at the pics again and my boot looks differant than yours. I have heard of the boots busting and was wondering if mine was the old style or not. I just got mine in yesterday.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAS05CTD610,

Hey not sure if you meant Mark from DPPI but if so call us we have the brackets here as MBRP left them out of a run of systems. Sounds like we dropped the ball on you, but were here if you need it etc, 866-455-7788

Mark @ DPPI
Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by wap
Bad, how long ago did you get your afe? I was lookin at the pics again and my boot looks differant than yours. I have heard of the boots busting and was wondering if mine was the old style or not. I just got mine in yesterday.

I got mine shortly before Christmas. That boot is supposed to be the new one. Does your's have the stiching in it. If you close at the pic's I posted above in the link, you can see the thread's.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:43 AM
wap

No, no stiching in it. Kind of a slick rubber or silicon material with 2 (I think) ribs running around it. Should I call and tell them to send me a new boot?
Old 01-07-2006, 09:53 AM

How thick is it. I believe the old one's were alot thinner. Mine is 3/16's thick. I would call them. Make sure you tell them you're heavily bombed, other wise you will get the "only guy's that are modded need them for the heat". But I see you are bombed, that that shouldn't be a problem for you.