3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AFE Proguard 7 drop-in cleaning & the filter minder

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFE Proguard 7 drop-in cleaning & the filter minder

Has anyone cleaned their drop-in AFE Proguard 7 air filter and then noticed that the filter minder gets near the red zone? When mine was new the filter minder never even moved and now after two cleanings and carefully re-oiling the filter minder registers.

An AFE rep is telling me not to worry about it.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:51 PM

Had the same issue...lost patience and switched to Scotty's system. The oil application is much more uniform and easy.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:51 PM

Oh great! I just installed a new AFE Pro-7 drop in filter. If yours didn't suck the filter minder down new, then perhaps it wasn't dried out completely or too much filter oil when re-installing....I can't think of anything else that would cause the filter minder to do that after one cleaning. Keep us posted if you figure it out.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: AFE Proguard 7 drop-in cleaning & the filter minder

Originally posted by Cummins600
Has anyone cleaned their drop-in AFE Proguard 7 air filter and then noticed that the filter minder gets near the red zone? When mine was new the filter minder never even moved and now after two cleanings and carefully re-oiling the filter minder registers.

An AFE rep is telling me not to worry about it.
Sure he can say don't worry about it! not his truck

If the filter minder is registering then you obviously have some restriction in that filter medium. I like the Uni foam filter that comes with the Scotty system, it has the outer foam cover that catches most of the dirt and it is easier to clean.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Chapter President

Cummins600,

Did u make sure the filter was completely dry before oiling?

What oil did u use. when I had my drop in I used K&N oil and it applied even and was very easy to see if it had wicked through all the media, it's colored red.

I noticed with the AFE oil I ordered, it came out of the can like a texture sprayer (real splotchy) instead of a nice steady flow like a sray can of paint. I didn't trust it and swithed to K&N, which works fine IMO.

Have u removed and sucked on the filter minder just to see how hard it is to draw it down, to check for proper operation? Go ahead laugh at me but I did mine out of curiosity.

My .02 Jamie
Old 02-26-2005, 09:33 AM

I first used AFE's cleaning kit the first two times. In booth cases the cleaner didn't seem to work well at all and the oil sprayed on in a blotchy stream (not uniform and misty). I've since resorted to K&N's cleaning kit and got better results. It did a much better job of removing dirt and oil. Also the oil sprays on in an much more controllable fashion. Pretty sure the element was dry before oiling. I would let it dry out for 6-26 hours depending of the weather/temp. And the filter minder has been unhappy from the fist cleaning.

I've been using K&N filters for years so this type of filter media is not new to me. Possible too much oil has remained in the element and is building up or the element itself has become slightly damaged.

I chose the Proguard 7 for its good filtering features. I even got a oil analyst to check the silicon count (dirt passing through filter will raise this number) and it came back good. I want good filtration and high air flow at the same time!
Old 02-26-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Jmac
Cummins600,

Have u removed and sucked on the filter minder just to see how hard it is to draw it down, to check for proper operation? Go ahead laugh at me but I did mine out of curiosity.

My .02 Jamie
I've done strange stuff like that too just to see who much it takes to get a reading (not much). But that's when the neighbor looks over says "what are you doing" - Oh, just sucking on my filter minder.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:46 AM

Cummins600

If you're letting it dry completely and using the correct amount of oil and it is still sucking down the filter minder, I would send it back to AFE for another.....wash it out real good, they may give you flak for using K&N oil if they see any residual red stuff.

If the dealer says don't worry about it again, tell him you are worried about it and you want another filter since nobody else you know of that is using the same set up is having this problem.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:43 PM

Solution = BHAF