3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AFE PG 7 filter kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AFE PG 7 filter kit

I just installed said filter and am not sure I like it!

The filter minder indicates much more restriction with the brand new, clean filter than was shown with the stock unit. Mileage has not gone up and may have actually been reduced.

The thing is not fitting well under the hood as it holds the hood up a bit; it does latch fine. Bottom bolts are quite snug on the rubbers and shroud bolt is secure. Gasket is on all the way.

Any feedback?
Old 05-30-2004, 09:40 AM

Remove the hood insulation and the hood wil close just fine .... there are about 12 or so plastic clips that hold the insulation to the inside of the hood .....
Old 05-30-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: AFE PG 7 filter kit

Originally posted by rubbert
The filter minder indicates much more restriction with the brand new, clean filter than was shown with the stock unit. Mileage has not gone up and may have actually been reduced.
You know, I've posted the same thing many times since I installed mine. We had a fairly lengthy discussion on it and most concluded that I must have a contributing problem somewhere as the AFE flows way to much to pose a restriction like that. The proof is in the pudding. I'm glad someone else finally chimed in with the same observation. At least now I know I'm not loosing my mind. It has been a while, but you can read our last discussion on the AFE here: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=42436

Maybe we just got defective filters. No problems closing the hood.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:58 PM

I HAVE THE AFE PG7 COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM. HAVENT NOTICED ANY REAL ADDITION OF POWER OR FUEL ECONOMY, BUT THE FILTER MINDER HAS NEVER BEEN SUCKED IN AT ALL IN ABOUT 10K MILES. THE ONLY REAL BENEFIT I SEE IS THE ENGINE RUNS A LITTLE COOLER. IT ALSO COOLS DOWN FASTER AFTER HAULING A LOAD. (COOLANT TEMPERATURE)
Old 05-30-2004, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ruppert...sorry to hear of the problems. Take note that AFE is suppose to come out with a new filter box for the 2004.5. The reason is exactly as you mentioned. The 04.5 has hood insulation which interfers with the AFE box. They are making a half inch shorter one which should have come out by now but still no word on it. AN alternative to the new box is that the insulation can also be removed in the area of the box as mentioned above.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:24 PM

Mine in my '95 hasn't budged the filter minder yet in almost 2,000 miles since I put it on. Maybe you guys got the 2 out of a thousand?

EDited to add that mine isn't gold colored anymore... it's got enough dirt on it to have turned it a greenish grey color.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:49 PM

I'm happy with mine, although it gets dirty quick and is hard to clean. Last time I cleaned it I ended up throwing it in warm soapy water. Dawn takes the grease out. Helped alot. What really opened the engine up though was putting on the Torque Tube. Then the difference was night and day. And I swear my mileage went up almost 2 mpg, can't explain it. That turbo screams now.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:01 AM

I too was unsure if I was going to keep my Pro-Guard 7 intake after installing it my around town mileage dropped at least 2 MPG but after installing the torque tube my around town mileage was back to normal and my highway mileage went up 1-2 MPG. The only thing I noticed and it's most likely my right foots fault- I towed a 20 foot nclosed trailer weighing about 6000 lbs from NY to SC via I95 and I only got about 10 MPG average but I was doing 75-85 M.P.H. so I guess I shouldn't be complaining.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:33 PM

Thanks all!

I took the silencer ring off today along with the ell vanes. I decided not to tackle the straight tube vane assembly.

I did not see any dirt anywhere in the system but the filter minder was pulled way down.

If performance is not bettered by removing the silencer I will put it back on as I don’t care for the sound. Doesn’t sound stronger, just more noise.

I sure hope that cash(AFE) was not wasted!

Rubbert
Old 06-05-2004, 04:52 AM

You are not going to see any difference with the silencer ring removed. It's only purpose is to quiet the turbo noise down. I've not noticed any difference with my drop-in at all. My filter minder still sucks down to 35% just like the stock filter did and my mileage has stayed constant. I may look into the torque tube thing though.....
Yes the filter gets filthy quick but at least you can clean it unlike the expensive stock unit which will continue to cost $$$ to replace every few thousand miles...
Old 06-05-2004, 09:38 AM

What is it you guys have against the True Flow filter? I have one in my truck and like it much better than K&N I had in my ,96 CTD. I plan to analize my oil at the 15,000 mi oil change to get the real story. I'll post the results.