3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

aFe Magnum Force Intake System w/Pro-Guard 7??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aFe Magnum Force Intake System w/Pro-Guard 7??

Unless I hear negatives before tomorrow afternoon, I am going to pick up the following:

aFe Magnum Force Intake System w/Pro-Guard 7 filter Dodge Cummins 2004 5.9L 325 HP/600 lb-ft H.O.

Torque Tube Kit (Stage 1 Upgrade) 2003-04 Dodge Cummins 5.9L

Does any with a 600 have problems with this air intake system?

Thanks for any comments.

John
Old 09-15-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: aFe Magnum Force Intake System w/Pro-Guard 7??

I just installed this exact setup last night. Make sure you remove the rubber "bushings" that the stock airbox sets in (you will see). I had to remove the hood padding and trim it because the hood will not close properly leaving a noticible gap between each side. Easy installation, clear instructions.

The end result: Holy cow! It's flippin LOUD!! You can really hear the turbo whistle, and I found throttle response to be improved. Without the hood padding installed (gotta put it back in) and the radio off, the whistle can be ear pearcing at low boost/light throttle - but I am not complaining! With the radio on, it is not bad whatsoever.

FWIW, I have removed the silencer ring.

Be prepared to have people stare at you as you drive by, as you *will* be noticed.

Cheers.

Originally posted by RamWheelsBy4
Unless I hear negatives before tomorrow afternoon, I am going to pick up the following:

aFe Magnum Force Intake System w/Pro-Guard 7 filter Dodge Cummins 2004 5.9L 325 HP/600 lb-ft H.O.

Torque Tube Kit (Stage 1 Upgrade) 2003-04 Dodge Cummins 5.9L

Does any with a 600 have problems with this air intake system?

Thanks for any comments.

John
Old 09-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Banned

PG 7

RamWheelsBy4,

We get great customer and distributor comments all the time with the Pro Guard 7 and Torque Tube system, you will be very hapopywith it. Give us a call if you need any questions answered.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 09-15-2004, 05:28 PM

Re: Re: aFe Magnum Force Intake System w/Pro-Guard 7??

Originally posted by csxt665
I just installed this exact setup last night. Make sure you remove the rubber "bushings" that the stock airbox sets in (you will see). I had to remove the hood padding and trim it because the hood will not close properly leaving a noticible gap between each side. Easy installation, clear instructions.

The end result: Holy cow! It's flippin LOUD!! You can really hear the turbo whistle, and I found throttle response to be improved. Without the hood padding installed (gotta put it back in) and the radio off, the whistle can be ear pearcing at low boost/light throttle - but I am not complaining! With the radio on, it is not bad whatsoever.

FWIW, I have removed the silencer ring.

Be prepared to have people stare at you as you drive by, as you *will* be noticed.

Cheers.
The 04 550 and 04.5 600 use different units. The one for the 04 550 engine is taller than the one used on the 600s. You can use the 550 version on the 600 if you cut the top of the metal shroud down so the hood will close properly. As for noise, this set up works much better if you also install a Turbo Air Guide (TAG). The TAG will quiet things down as well as improve intake performance by guiding the air into the turbo. You might have noticed in the intake tube of hte 600 plastic vanes in the elbow infront of the turbo to help direct the air around the corner and into the turbo. The TAG does this only much better.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:38 PM

I picked up the aFe Magnum Force Stage II for 2004.5 325/600 with standard filter & pre filter today after work. I also got the Torque tube, I know that a piece of 5" PVC would do the job, but it wouldn't look purty.

I also stopped by the Predator Power local dealer and now have a Stage II Predator module. for 2004.5 325/600 Cummins.

I will put on the torque tube first and see what happens. Then I will install the Air Intake and filter. Then I hope that I have fun with the conservative Predator Stage II.

If I can make to the track this Sunday I will get times with intake and Predator, unless the EGT's are too high.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:39 AM
Muted User

I want one of these, but I find it hard to justify spending $500 (Air Intake + PreFilter + Torque Tube) for an air filter. Plus, I've heard that it offers little to no tangible performance gains, but rather it helps keep egt's down for when you do get the Edge or TST.

Someone convince me otherwise that $500 is well spent on these.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:26 PM

djp

You are right it is a lot of money for an air filter. I do expect to see some small performance gains. At least I certainly expect to spool turbo quicker. Part of my reason is to lower EGTs for the fuel/boost box I am installing. I want to play with my truck at the track. I may be very disappointed after this weekend if I don't see a noticable improvement. If it helps any at all with normal MPG then another benefit. I keep pretty good records and will know in a month or so if there are MPG gain or not.

Besides I am getting way to old to worry about money. Found aFe Filter Kit and torque tube online at www.kensperformancesolutions.com for under $400. Maybe you can find lower.