3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AFE or K&N

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of good stuff here, I am still on the fense but leaning at the AFE Pro guard.

Jack what do yo run in yours?

Thunderjet
Old 04-01-2004, 08:24 PM

The only thing I've sucked up in my K&N is the occasional Power Joke or Duramin that can't get outta my way!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:30 PM

Does anyone know of any tests that used the AirAid filters and has ANYONE come up with a way to just use a BHAF?
Old 04-02-2004, 10:16 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Thunderjet
Lots of good stuff here, I am still on the fense but leaning at the AFE Pro guard.

Jack what do yo run in yours?

Thunderjet
I run stock on my new truck, but I ran a megacanon and Scotty II in my old truck. Megacanon first, then the Scotty II.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:41 PM

Jack,
Why stock so far?
Old 04-03-2004, 02:46 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
That article is basically an advertisement for AFE, and has been posted many times now. I personally would like to see some real world results as opposed to an AFE advertisement.
I'm with ya Jack. I've seen that article before, and its so full of holes that it couldn't filter a boulder.

1) Testing was done on a Duramax. The DMax MAF used to be a royal pain in the neck, as if airflow is disturbed from the factory results it would throw a code. Aftermarket companies have introduced a better MAF sensor for the DMax that isn't nearly as picky.

2) They don't tell us who did the oil anaysis. If they're using one of the "cheap" labs like BlackStone, a single analysis is absolutely worthless. The cheap labs take far too many shortcuts in cleaning between samples. A good sample rate for a cheap lab would be 8 - 10 samples, averaged out. Then you can have some assurance that the results you are seeing are accurate. Even when testing with a quality lab, you need a couple samples to ensure you're not getting residue from the previous air system that was on the truck. As a point of reference, a quality lab will charge a couple hundred bucks per sample.

3) Formulation of an oil will have NO effect on a sensor. If you coat the sensor, you coat the sensor and it won't work. The aFe oil is identical to the K&N oil in every respect. And if you're coating any sensors with any of the oiled filters, it simply means you're putting too doggoned much oil on the filter.

4) Our customers, and ourselves have done hundreds of oil anaylses on aFe standard series filters. We have yet to see a solitary truck whose particulate count was higher than the factory airbox, when properly averaged out over several analyses. These tests include several oil field tests in conditions that would see a fine film of dirt collect in a guys wallet that never left the cab of his truck.

5) Several independent labs have tested a variety of filters over the years. While the efficiency ratings of the filters were all different, depending on the tests used, the aFe standard series always finished within 1% of the factory paper filters that Fleetguard uses. I have yet to see an independent lab test the ProGuard filter, and while I have no reason to doubt aFe's claims of better filtration, why bother with restricting your airflow needlessly?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:47 PM

Are any of you guys being hassled by the dealers with different intake systems?