3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AFE Air Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFE Air Intake Question

I was reading on Geno's Garage about an article in TDR where they tested all of the air intake systems and they did not filter as required by Cummins.
Geno now states that they only sell AFE Pro Guard 7 because it is the only one that meets manufactures mininum requirements. Is this true?

Does any one have a copy of this article?

AFE talks about the white glove test, has anyone tried this?

Where can I find specs on what the factory requires for filteration rates?

If this is true why would anyone buy anything other than an AFE for a 30K-40K investment?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anybody has any comments on this, I would love to hear them too. Air and Exhaust mods are coming by Xmas!!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were a number of test that were linked in threads on TDR, don't have time to look right now, but this is one of the test results link.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Old 09-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Banned

Dynocon,

I saw that at one time too, can't find it now though. We ONLY sell the PG7 AFE as it is the only system we feel good about selling as it stops the dirt the others let thru. Here is some info done by a filter testing lab that you might find interesting etc. Call us if you have any questiosn on the AFE we'll be glad to help you.

SPICER Posted: 16 July 2004 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | Report Post

Diesel Addict
Group: Diesel Addict
Posts: 302 The following is the complete test results. In order of rank from BEST performance to WORST in the categories of FILTERING EFFICIENCY, FLOW RESTRICTION, DIRT HOLDING CAPACITY and TOTAL DIRT PASSING THE FILTER DURING TEST.
SPICER wrote:
In the order of filtering efficiency the results are:
FILTER % Efficiency
AC Delco OE 99.93%
Baldwin 99.72%
No name filter (made for gas engine, 1/3 less pleats) 99.32%
AFE ProGuard 7 (73-10062), panel filter 99.23%
WIX/Napa 99.03%
Purolator 98.73%
Amsoil, new style 98.63%
UNI 97.93%
K&N 96.80%

FLOW RESTRICTION FROM BEST TO WORST:
FILTER RESTRICTION in Inches H2O
K&N 4.54
Mystery bargain filter 4.78
AFE Pro Guard 7 Panel 4.99
Purolator 5.05
WIX/Napa 5.06
UNI 5.40
Baldwin 5.71
Amsoil 5.88
AC Delco 6.23
TOTAL DIRT PASSING THE FILTER DURING THE TEST. This is how much dirt your engine will take in if you use the filter for the duration that would cause the filter to become "dirty" enough to need replacement or cleaning. The "Dirt Passing The Filter" is the dirt collected by the "Post Filter" during the test.
FILTER DIRT IN GRAMS PASSED
AC Delco 0.4 g
Baldwin 1.1g
AFE Pro Guard 7 1.8g
Mystery Bargain 2.4g
Amsoil 2.7g
WIX/Napa 4.4g
Purolator 5.0g
K&N 6.0g
UNI 7.9g
Note: The Purolator was reported to have a seal malfunction during the test and passed more dirt than it would have with a good seal.
Interesting. SPICER

Old 09-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I think it is important to point out that the filters tested were not the filters used on our trucks. For example the AFE filter was a 73-10062 that does not match any of the AFE Pro Guard 7's that I sell or have listed for the Dodge trucks.

Also the Uni filter tested is not the dual stage filter that is used in the Scotty Air Intake Systems.

These types of tests are great to have for numbers but one has to be certain they actually apply to your specific application. The best test you can get is to check your oil regularly with an oil analysis test.

This will let you know what the REAL numbers are, and not just some scare tactic designed to make you shun away from one filter or another.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I think you are taking somewhat of a chance with any of the oiled filters. Too much oil and you could ruin your turbo. Not enough oil and you're not getting the filtration you need. That's the main reason I haven't changed out my air intake yet (although I have made some modifications to it).

That being said, there are a LOT of people who use oiled filters with ZERO problems. On the other hand, there are a lot of people that use oiled filters that HAVE had problems.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Banned

Lary Ellis,

You're exactly right, these tests were done an a Duramax filter that fits the stock air box, a replacement fitler for the stock air box. What is important about the test is it was done by Testand Corp in RI, they are a filtration test company it's all they do and they did it for the Duramax site.

The facts show what type and brand of filters filter/flow the best, the worst etc etc, it will be the same information if you run it on a filter that fits a Dodge as well with the exception of what Lary said about the UNI, it was a single stage filter as that was all Uni would send for the testing session when it was done.

The information on the PG7 vs say a K&N, AC Delco, Wix or any of the others but the Uni Paper will show the same results on a Dodge as it will on a Ford or GM etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 09-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Mark Craig
Lary Ellis,

You're exactly right, these tests were done an a Duramax filter that fits the stock air box, a replacement fitler for the stock air box.

The information on the PG7 vs say a K&N, AC Delco, Wix or any of the others but the Uni Paper will show the same results on a Dodge as it will on a Ford or GM etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Correct these numbers would be correct ONLY with filters designed to fit into the stock box, they have no bearing on the "Intake systems" as quoted by the original poster.

Comparing these numbers to ANY of the cold air intake systems would be a gross mistake. I just want people to be aware of what they are reading regarding ACTUAL comparison of products

Further reading of that same article the writer goes on to say "The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give." We all know this to be untrue as EGT's climb substantially on power modified trucks and often benefit from the after market cool air systems.

Perhaps at the time the test was done, the HP levels yet achieved were substantially lower than by todays standards. And the filters being tested were limited by the restrictive stock box as well, thus completely negating this info when addressed to the current question regarding the Cummins engine and intake systems.

The only way to provide data on the filters used in the after market intake systems, would be to actually test the filters used by those systems.

Comparing them to a "stock" filter replacement is deceiving at best, and doesn't actually help any of us to see the actual figures we all want to know.

This is why I state that regular oil analysis is the ONLY way to see what your filter system is actually doing. And I welcome everyone to post them on the site so we can all see real world numbers in action.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
[QUOTE=Lary Ellis (Top)

This is why I state that regular oil analysis is the ONLY way to see what your filter system is actually doing. And I welcome everyone to post them on the site so we can all see real world numbers in action.[/QUOTE]

I did exactly that in the General Diesel Forum under the thread entitled "My Oil Analysis" and got pilloried by all the anti-K&N zealots out in cyberspace!
Old 09-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Dorkweed
I did exactly that in the General Diesel Forum under the thread entitled "My Oil Analysis" and got pilloried by all the anti-K&N zealots out in cyberspace!
I read that thread and the ONLY person who posted with attitude in there was YOU
Old 09-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
You've taken my comments the wrong way totally, man!!!! I was being sarcastic, hence the emoticons/smilies!!!

I do have the "Juice w/Attitude" if that's what you mean!!
Old 09-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Admin Team Leader

Well then maybe you took the other opinions way too seriously as well

The thing to remember here for all of us (yes including me) is that we all have differing opinions, the trick is not to let that become something it isn't

Heck if EVERYBODY uses the same filter....What the heck we gonna have left to say to each other
Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can think of a few things.