3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AEM Workhorse Intake Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool AEM Workhorse Intake Installed

Just received my AEM Workhorse intake and installed it. Instructions were very easy to follow. I already had a AFE stage 1 so it went very quick. About 45 min to an hour. The filter minder is up higher so when I romped on it it didn't get sucked down. The filter is larger than the AFE. There is no bottom on the heat shield like the AFE. The turbo seems to spool up faster and there is MORE turbo whine. Sounds like a jet engine I can just imagine how loud it would be if I had removed the silencer ring. My first impression is that its better than the AFE stage 1 I had.
Attached Thumbnails AEM Workhorse Intake Installed-aem-workhorse-1.jpg   AEM Workhorse Intake Installed-aem-workhorse-2.jpg   AEM Workhorse Intake Installed-aem-workhorse-3.jpg   AEM Workhorse Intake Installed-aem-workhorse-4.jpg  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cayuse66
Just received my AEM Workhorse intake and installed it. Instructions were very easy to follow. I already had a AFE stage 1 so it went very quick. About 45 min to an hour. The filter minder is up higher so when I romped on it it didn't get sucked down. The filter is larger than the AFE. There is no bottom on the heat shield like the AFE. The turbo seems to spool up faster and there is MORE turbo whine. Sounds like a jet engine I can just imagine how loud it would be if I had removed the silencer ring. My first impression is that its better than the AFE stage 1 I had.
I WANT IT!!!!! I want to put the filter on my bruteforce
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 PM

it looks awesome!! i hope my AEM brute force looks something like that or sounds as cool! how do you like the ATS arc-flow... if you could PM me your thoughts i would appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:20 PM

The filter may be bigger then the AFE, but the inlet on the AFE is 6" I believe, therefore it has the ability to flow more air. That workhorse looks good.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 PM

it doesnt matter how big the inlet is on the AFE because a 4" inlet of the turbo can only take in 4" worth of air. you could have a 8" intake with a 3" intake on the turbo and its not going you any good. actually your creating a bottle neck effect for the intake...that causes turbulence and can actually hurt the air flow into the turbo. I tried this on my car with a 6" inlet on a 5" inlet turbo... and the car got slower and responded like crap.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:50 PM

Nice- - - - - I may have to look into that one here in the near future!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:44 PM

AEM is working on makeing a 5" intake
all they have right now is 4" intakes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:43 AM

Unhappy

It`s nice and shiny, but what about heat. That big chrome tube will transfer heat into the intake air stream from the exhaust manifold and under-hood temps.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrDiesel
It`s nice and shiny, but what about heat. That big chrome tube will transfer heat into the intake air stream from the exhaust manifold and under-hood temps.

I am running this set up as well (mine is the Brute force tho). I am seeing a 4-7 degree intake air tempurature increase over the ambient air temp. With my stock air box and with the Scotty 5 I was seeing an air intake temp. increase of between 8-11 degrees. I was concerned about the heat transfer too, but it seems to be a non issue.

So far, I really like this set up, and I think I will like it even more when I do filter maint. and I don't have to oil the filter.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by DrDiesel
I was concerned about this also. I wrapped my entire tube with exhaust wrap, then covered that with aluminized duct tape. Doesn't look as nice as the shiny chrome, but it is insulating from the heat and doesn't look all that bad...
Old 02-01-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by trik396
I was concerned about this also. I wrapped my entire tube with exhaust wrap, then covered that with aluminized duct tape. Doesn't look as nice as the shiny chrome, but it is insulating from the heat and doesn't look all that bad...
take a pic of that! I wanna see
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 AM

After driving around I checked the the temp on the tube, it was cool to the touch. I didn't see any change in inlet temp from the stock tube. From what I've read all the trucks that have the BruteForce don't have that issue either. The position of the tube is farther away from the manifold than the stock tube. The tube is made of aluminum which disipates the heat better.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:46 AM

I found the exact opposite after installing my Bruteforce. The tubing was hot. Anything underhood is going to get heat soaked. I drove on an hour trip after my install, pulled into a truckstop, popped the hood to check the install (making sure everything was nice and sealed tight) and it was HOT. Right after this I did the insulation thing... Just my experience.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Wink

I like my Cool Hose @ $120.00 bucks......
Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 AM

so the turbo whine... is it a make the wife annoyed kinda change? I love turbo whine as long as it isn't crazy loud.

Quick Reply: AEM Workhorse Intake Installed