3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AEM and Outerwears cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM and Outerwears cover

I just purchased the AEM Brute Force intake for my '04 600 and have ordered the Outerwears pre filter for it which I have not received yet. My question is that seeing that this is a completely opened design intake; will I be good to go to install this and drive or should I wait for the Outerwears cover. Water (rain/snow) is my concern as I do not mud bog. With the hood closed, it looks pretty well concealed from any direct water contact. Thanks for the feedback.
Dan
Old 12-01-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Install it you will be fine till you get the cover. Just my .02 but everyone here seems to feel the AEM filters pretty good and it wont get wet in the factory location unless you are in a monsoon...
Old 12-01-2006, 06:46 PM

For some time (other than snow season) when I was using the outterwears I removed the from rubber cover to the left of the radiator. Never had an issue with water. Unless its open to the elements I don't see the need to slightly restrict the filter. However slight it is still a restriction. It (AEM Dryflow) for a min. of 10k miles between cleanings. Good luck
Old 12-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

From what I understand, and I could be wrong here, is that the openings/pores in the AEM filter are too small to let water enter. The filter element doesn't absorb water either. I've had a Fram Boost 2 intake (same as AEM Brute Force) filter on now for about 20k miles and do not have an outerwears cover for it. I've driven through some big rains and I've checked to see if it was wet. It wasn't. We've just had a 15inch snow here and I was out pulling cars out of ditches today. I checked a gas station while, getting some munchies, and there was no snow on the filter either.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I put the intake on and took her for a spin. The turbo whistles like a freight train!! Even my wife, who really NEVER notices ANYTHING different about the truck, looked at me and said "What is that whistling" when I took her for a ride. Awesome!!!
Dan