3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

aem intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aem

I ordered just the AEM dry flow filter w/prefilter today. I will be making the torque tube and the heat shield. I didn't think the tube was worth $200. I will post pics when I get everything together.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firemanram,
Were did you get your prefilter from? and are you going to put your filterminder back in? just wondering if you get the same results as some of us.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:50 PM

This is my first post but I agree with Rambunctious1 in that the venturi effect is making the filter minder trip. Anytime a fluid/gas is accelerated through an orifice; the molicules compact in the restriction. upon exiting the molicules expand with a reduction in pressure I.E. vacuum. The pipe is the restriction and anywhere there is an openning such as where the filter minder is attached you have a expantion point. The that I wonder about is this. Does there really need to be a filter minder attached with this type setup? You have to open the hood to see the filter minder and the filter is right in front of you. If it looks dirty then clean it. IMO

Thanks
Matt
Old 01-31-2006, 07:32 AM

Well since I heading to dealership I put the stock box back. It has the (tag) in the tube and several large holes added to the bottom(Box). Boy what a difference. The truck feels so sluggish to me. I debated taking off the AEM. After all would they void my warranty (for a bad steering pump) because I had an after market air intake? Why leave it to chance.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by NB64
Well since I heading to dealership I put the stock box back. It has the (tag) in the tube and several large holes added to the bottom(Box). Boy what a difference. The truck feels so sluggish to me. I debated taking off the AEM. After all would they void my warranty (for a bad steering pump) because I had an after market air intake? Why leave it to chance.
I asked the service writer at my local dealership if intakes and exhausts and such would void the warranty. He said no because you're putting less restriction on the motor thus making it run better. I asked about modules and programmers and he said absolutely. Any time you mess with electronics and such on the motor, kiss it off. But like you said, why leave it to chance? I'd probably put my stocker back on too...just in case.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:35 PM

I wondering what they are going to say about my gauges. I've never used a box, but it might look as if I did with the gauges. This dealer has been good in the past with my 97 Dodge gasser. But it would be a very expensive lesson that I don't want to learn.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:44 PM

prefilter

Originally Posted by wyocowboy
Firemanram,
Were did you get your prefilter from? and are you going to put your filterminder back in? just wondering if you get the same results as some of us.

I got both at Diesel Source Outlet. $62.42 for both. Yes, I'm going to use the filterminder. I will post pics when I get all the parts together.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by NB64
I wondering what they are going to say about my gauges. I've never used a box, but it might look as if I did with the gauges. This dealer has been good in the past with my 97 Dodge gasser. But it would be a very expensive lesson that I don't want to learn.
Call a dealership that you are not going to the truck to and ask them if they'd void the warranty. At least that way you'll have a rough estimate of what you think they might say at the one you plan on going to. Or call the one you are gonna go to but remain anonymous..."I have this buddy, who has these guages..." That kinda thing. I'm pretty sure my dealership said that guages would not void, but I can't remember for sure.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by bekim
For $60 the BHAF is a no brainer! It has three times the surface area, and is 1/4 the $$$$. You'll probably get the same benefit from any of the available systems out there, but for $60.....why not try the BHAF?
Cheers
Bekim
###
On a different note: Am I correct to assume that a torque tube alone will do nothing for improving performance in a sense that an intake system is only as good as its most restrictive section. In that case, in order to see considerable gain in CFM's would I have to replace filter box, torque tube, intercooler tubes, intake manifold, intercooler? That could get very costly.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:20 PM

Better breathing

Originally Posted by nojodas67
On a different note: Am I correct to assume that a torque tube alone will do nothing for improving performance in a sense that an intake system is only as good as its most restrictive section. In that case, in order to see considerable gain in CFM's would I have to replace filter box, torque tube, intercooler tubes, intake manifold, intercooler? That could get very costly.
Honestly, I can't tell if the BHAF does anything for my motor. The stock air box was cavernous and had a pretty unresticted flow thru the intake boot to the turbo inlet. For me, it was not having to replace the stock dry air filter every 5000 miles for $20 plus(local parts stores). The bhaf with prefilter should take me to around 100,000 miles if I clean the prefilter every 10,000 or so.
This is just my humble opinion!
Cheers
Bekim
###
Old 02-12-2006, 02:22 PM

new air intake

Originally Posted by steven25
what do you guys think of a AEM intake for a 2005 it looks like a well made piece and comes with the metal pipe I can get it for $234
Without doing something for exhaust, it seems that any intake mods won't be as effective.
Bekim
###
Old 02-12-2006, 04:32 PM

what that trip thing do? just light up in the dash from time to time?

i wnat to order a aem intake i think

or whatever intake helps make the most whistle
Old 02-16-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 97on22s
what that trip thing do? just light up in the dash from time to time?

i wnat to order a aem intake i think

or whatever intake helps make the most whistle
By replacing the restrictive stock silencer tube with a hollow, thin walled tube made out of steel will give you a very nice and loud turbo whistle, like the big rigs.