3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AEM Bruteforce Dryflow.... results are:

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AEM Bruteforce Dryflow.... results are:

Just installed this morning. Went out on the highway. Normally when I rolled into the throttle I would see up to 42psi with my modded stock box. This time it seemed I couldn't get above 32-33psi. Hmmmm... Tryed ***** out flooring it a few times... same result. Getting worried. Get to a good steep overpass. From standing start, rolled the throttle, finally just touched 40psi and had to get outta it. After I did this and stopped for awhile, I opened the hood to check things out. The filter minder was pinned to the max. Never had this happened with the stock modded box. Maybe an 1/8th of an inch max was the most before. Took it out for another quick run, came back to check minder and AGAIN sucked all the way down. Well I guess I just ran an experiment for all of us here. The AEM dryflow filter is too restrictive in my mind. Going to keep the setup, just change the filter, probably to a AFE Proguard, unless someone talks me outta doing that....
btw- lots of turbo whistle with this one...
Old 03-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
???

Trik396,
Did you notice any power loss or any other negative effects (other then lower bost pressure)? I would leave it on as long as you have not noticed any adverse effects.

I am interested in this intake but not if you loose performance. The AEM website has plenty of dyno curves and test results. One would not think that this info would be incorrect.

Has anyone with similar style intakes noticed a drop in bost?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:38 PM

If it's pulling my filter minder down that much, it has to be more restrictive than stock and it must be causing me to lose power. Hard to tell by seat of the pants. Don't have anyway to dyno it or run her down the quarter mile. Less boost = less power in my book...
Old 03-25-2006, 02:44 PM

You have to look where the filter minder is. Its down near the turbo on the air tube itslef. It was never meant to measure that kind of flow. On the stock setup it is it is in the box, not in the mainstream. A slight difference in my book. Also if the performance seems the same a less restrictive filter might allow the psi number to come down a bit. Although yours numbers are to dramatic in this case.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:49 PM

I really didn't think it mattered if it was in the box or in the tube. If it's creating a low pressure environment, or somewhat of a vacuum, I don't think it matters where it's reading it from. A vacuum is a vacuum, and in this case it isn't good at all...
The minder is in the tube maybe halfway between the filter and the turbo.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:50 PM

What I have heard is that your filter reminder will max out because of the hole location. It forms a vacuum pulling the reminder shut. I am curious on why you would get lower boost pressure thou......hmmmmm.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:11 PM

The minder is measuring the amount of air. As the filter becomes more clogged it creates a suction which cause the minder to close. In the turbo tube the is an incredible amount of air rushing past, which I imagine would suck the filter minder closed.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Banned

What did your EGT gauge do? If it's causing that much of a restriction you should notice higher egt's.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by NB64
The minder is measuring the amount of air. As the filter becomes more clogged it creates a suction which cause the minder to close. In the turbo tube the is an incredible amount of air rushing past, which I imagine would suck the filter minder closed.
This is exactly what's happening. As you increase airflow over a small orifice, it draws a pretty good vacuum on the space inside the orifice. Thus giving a false indication via the filter minder. When I was in the army, we used to make air powered vacuums using this same principle since we couldn't use electric tools in the hanger. These air powered vacuums worked better than electric ones. The filter is fine, the minder is just in the wrong spot. With these open element filters, do you even need the minder? You can see if the filter's dirty or not. I never have understood why the manufacturers still put the minder on the set up. It just get's everybody worried that the filter's not working right.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:18 PM

Didn't check egt's... have to check that tomorrow. I still don't understand how the location of the filter minder can effect its operation.
I'll post back when I check into it more...
Old 03-25-2006, 07:32 PM

I have this same filter and I have no trouble getting to 40 PSI with mine. I'm running an Industrial Injection 62/14 though so I don't know if that is the difference.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:40 PM

Green04ho, have you checked your filter minder when you pull that 40psi?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:46 PM

Yes, I can pull it right down. I had also researched the location of the filter minder and was told by multiple people that it was worthless now because of the location. My EGT's were better when I put it on when running the stock turbo. They dropped even more with the new turbo. I still have not had a chance to tow with the new combo yet though.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:52 PM

Thanks. That is good to know. I'm starting to feel better about my purchase.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:05 PM

When I first got the Quad race box I always had to let off on the 140 setting. With the setup I have now I can hold it to the floor all the way to the speed limiter and never go over 1300 Deg. It's like 1200 and change.

Quick Reply: AEM Bruteforce Dryflow.... results are: