3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Advise on a Smarty

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise on a Smarty

Looking for advise on putting a smarty JR on my 2005 cummins G56. I was looking to do a edge Insite CTS with egt probe for gauges. Questions are, Is the Edge Insite going to be a good fairly reliable gauge setup? Should I go analog gauges instead? And will the stock clutch in my G56 hold up to the smarty Jr?
Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Just my opinion, but I think your not gonna do any better than going smarty with some Autometer or Isspro gauges. In short, I think the Smarty is far superior to the Edge on all accounts (and I am fairly bias about analog over any sort of "screen" gauge.
Yes, your tranny will be fine to run on he SW2 level (70 hp setting) for daily driving, towing, etc...I would simply warn against doing any aggressive driving in SW3 (100 hp) until you do some tranny upgrades and or drive pretty reasonable. But if your anything like me, it's hard to have the power at hand and not use it. Hence, I "discipline myself" to stay on SW2 until my trans upgrade.
Again, the more you look around on here, I think you will find more info to help you make a decision. Good luck, and if you end up with the smarty you will find plenty of support on this site for any and all questions you might have.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with cstewart! I also have the g56 and had about 60k miles on it when I put the Smarty Jr on. Ran SW3 pretty aggressive for about 10k miles and the clutch started slipping. I now have 113k and still stock clutch but only run SW2 and drive very conservative. The newest version 5.14B which I have is much friendlier to the clutch. I can still slip it in 5th and 6th pretty easy though. A new SB dual friction dual disc is in my near future!!

Get a Jr., Gauges (I prefer the Autometer) and save for a good clutch!!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the advise! I guess I was looking into the Edge Insite CTS because it offers alot more than just the 3 gauges that I would put on my pillar. Pillar gauges do look pretty sweet though. Just looking to get some opinions on it because the Edge insite gauge system with egt probe is just a little cheaper and is a little easier to install. I'm not really use to looking at analog gauges other than factory because my old 99 cummins had an edge juice with attitude on it and I got really use to looking at those digital gauges. Anybody have the Edge Insite?? Any other inputs on a Smarty JR for my 05? What to yall think are the most important gauges to have on a 6 speed truck if you had to pick 3?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 PM

As far as gauges go I like my analog. Trust them more too. I only have EGT and boost but will be adding a Fuel Pressure (from lift pump) as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 AM

Insight vs Analogs

I have the Insight on my 2007 and 3 gauge dash pod with Autometers on my 2004.5. I went the Insight route on the 2007 for ease of installation and added the EGT with the expandable capabilites. I had purchased the dash pod for the Insight but ended up fabricating a bracket and mounted the Insight to the A-pillar where I could see and adjust it easier. Then on a wild hair I added the back-up camera from Edge. I really like the camera for the trailer hook-ups and preventing me from backing over items with the taller 4x4 2007 truck. The b/u camera is a nice feature with the Insight. Really in this day and age back-up cameras should be a mandated safety feature.
For monitoring the Cummins I do believe I notice the analogs needle postions more readily than the digital gauges on the Insight but then I've had the analogs forever. (I have trained my brain to just pick up on the relative needle postion for monitoring.) I still am messing with the various screen configurations on the Insight so maybe I haven't found the best layout for me just yet.
That said the Insight was a bit easier on the install but I still had to do the EGT and run the wires through the firewall which is a good portion of either install. Topping it off, I added the camera which required a cable run form the back of the truck and through the firewall. If you don't add the EGT then yes the Insight is a plug and play, just plug in the OBDII port and mount the Insight box and you're good to go.
It's your call but the camera feature is what really sold me. Otherwise, I would have just as well done the analogs. Oh yeah, the analogs can be made a bit easier to install if some thought is given to combining the power and dash lighting wires on multiple gauge units and being smart when doing the routing. It's one of those things where it took all day the first go round and now with a little planning and forethought it's only a 3 hour or less job.

Good luck on your quest. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info! I guess the main reason I like the edge monitor is because i already had one before and got use to ready digital. As long as the Edge will be as reliable as analog, I'm leaning toward the edge insite w/ egt. Let me know if there is anything else I need to look at for having a smarty jr. What is more important rail pressure or lift pump pressure? or are they both important? Thanks again for the help, I just want to do this right the first time.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 PM

The arguments for rail pressure and lift pump pressure go both ways but I feel the lift pump pressure is more important if you are only going to monitor one. As long as you are supplying the CP3 with enough fuel you "Should" be fine. The lift pump will typically fail before a CP3 does.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 PM

I guess that would be the worst thing with the Edge Insite, it only monitors the rail pressure unless you buy the expandable kit with a universal pressure sensor. Choices choices choices
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM

I had an insight. Over approx 35psi of boost it stopped rising. Otherwise I liked it. That said if that is a concern order a 60psi expandable boost sensor. Plus just an FYI if you ever upgrade you can control your smarty S-06s POD function with the insight. I'm not sure on the jr though. And to the op do yourself a favor. Watch your clutch in that G56 with any power adders if you ever tow it will kill it quick.

Ryan
Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAMMINVA
Looking for advise on putting a smarty JR on my 2005 cummins G56. I was looking to do a edge Insite CTS with egt probe for gauges. Questions are, Is the Edge Insite going to be a good fairly reliable gauge setup? Should I go analog gauges instead? And will the stock clutch in my G56 hold up to the smarty Jr?
Thanks
I have the Edge Attitude in my 07' and tells me the EGTS boost and engine percent load. This programmer works great it has levels 1-5 with a level 6 to be unlocked but no need for what I do. The five settings are stock mileage tow race and extreme. With extreme setting u get 250 extra ftlbs. Running on mileage setting I get 22-22.5 on highway here in northeast. 18-18.5 around town. That's all with a stock truck. I plan on a CIA and a high ram just not sure which one yet was thinking maybe banks. You will def need to up grade clutch if u go past level 3; which you will try level 5 and when you feel how hard it pulls and sets you back in the seat it will become an addiction. After my clutch went out went with a south bend and now don't have to worry about it but I mostly run on mileage or tow setting. Best of all you can adjust on the fly. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the Jr. and some gauges. Just say NO to edge.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Get the Jr. and some gauges. Just say NO to edge.
What he said...^^^!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Probably will stay away from the Edge Juice With Attitude on this truck, I have heard of problems with it from injectors to high egts. But on the same note I do like the Edge Insight CTS for gauges. I am MOST DEFINITELY going with the Smarty Jr for the tuning part. Anymore inputs on the Edge Insight CTS vs analog pillar gauges are welcome!! Will the stock lift pump hold up to the Smarty Jr??
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No problem with the stock LP and the Jr.