3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Advice on External Wastegate on Twins

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree that a tap would be a better choice

they do make a 1.5" tap
not real common but can be gotten

I just dont like the idea of welding it with all the heating cycles and vibration
I see a failure happening at the worst time very possible
Old 01-19-2005, 07:50 PM

AK,

The manifold is tricky but not impossible to weld together and have a worry free joint. Agades has already gone over most of the pointers for doing a good job. The manifold is a high quality iron that already has a high nickel content in it, so it welds better than the stock casting does. In my case we used E70S filler wire in a MIG welder to weld the "Up Pipe" to the manifold and the flange to the "Up Pipe". There isn't going to be enough material in the wall of the manifold to tap in threads, so welding is your only option. My manifold was cleaned and ground back around the weld area, pre heated with a torch, and then welded together. As mentioned, a high nickel filler rod like the one mentioned or something like hastelloy wire works well, but I haven't had any problems with the joint on my manifold.

For the WG I used a 38mm TIAL, and it to is holding up fine. They are very popular with the gasser guys, and the local shop said they haven't had many problems with them. The other brand that might be even better is TurboSmart, but the diaphragm on them is a fair amount larger, so fitment on the 3rd gens would be pretty tough. FWIW I would stay away from Turbonetics... they seem to have a pretty bad reputation from what I have found.

Hope this helps!

John
Old 01-19-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey….thanks guys. I wrote all of this down and will use it to test the local welding shops until I find one I'm confident knows what they are doing.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:43 AM

AK Ram,
On my twins on my 02, I welded the pipe to the manifold using a stick welder and a stick that was about 60% nickel. The weld was very strong. I used a 46 mm Tial external wastegate with a 1.1 bar spring and the bottom charger would come on at 16psi. I used a B1B Quickspool and a B2 setup. Hope this helps.

Meacham Evins
Old 01-20-2005, 09:00 AM

mcevins,
how did your set up work
I was gonna do the same on my 03 and kind of got talked out of it by a number of people
I have the ksb1-2 and the ability to do the piping
problem is I dont know jack about the wastgating and hooking everything up properly
Old 01-20-2005, 03:12 PM

Agades,
My setup worked great! I was running only 63 lbs of boost and completely clearing up the smoke on level 9 on my tst box with ez stack and Mach 6 injectors. I could have run 75 to 80 psi of boost but there wasn't really more fuel to burn. Now Don has come out with his Mach 7's. I was running 7.71 second in the 1/8 th mile at 89.43 mph. I ran a 12.36 at Thunder in Muncie last year with a transfer case chain jumping and popping. I feel that it would go below 12sec in the 1/4 now. I'll try to post a picture later.

Meacham Evins
Old 01-20-2005, 05:19 PM

mcevins

So, you were running a KSB1B, which is also called a KSB1-2 right. It's the smallest charger in the B1 lineup isn't it?

Anyone think that a BD Super B and B2 combo wouldn't work? I know the Super B is an S300 like the B1's, but they COULD be WAAAY different. I would probably run one of these external wastegate things, too

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread,
Chris
Old 01-20-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by mcevins
Agades,
My setup worked great! I was running only 63 lbs of boost and completely clearing up the smoke on level 9 on my tst box with ez stack and Mach 6 injectors. I could have run 75 to 80 psi of boost but there wasn't really more fuel to burn. Now Don has come out with his Mach 7's. I was running 7.71 second in the 1/8 th mile at 89.43 mph. I ran a 12.36 at Thunder in Muncie last year with a transfer case chain jumping and popping. I feel that it would go below 12sec in the 1/4 now. I'll try to post a picture later.

Meacham Evins
very interresting
I like the idea of around 60 psi
Im not shooting for max HP
just reliable smooth ,cool, towing and messing around power and be able to use all 9 levels on my pmcr
Old 01-20-2005, 08:17 PM

signature600,
Yes, it is the smallest in the B series lineup. If your BD super B is a Sweitzer turbo from the same family as the B1B Quickspool or the quickspool B1 it should do great. My B1B Quickspool and my B1 Quickspool would spool about the same when I ran a single charger.

Agades,
The amazing thing about my setup is that I could drive everyday on level 1 with a huge decrease in smoke and turn my TST up to 9 and run any thing around. That was in a huge part to Don Morrison at Formula 1 for his injectors. I can't wait until his new generation injectors come out. He keeps adding power and lessening the smoke output and EGT's. The best of both worlds!!

Meacham Evins
Old 01-20-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sitting here looking at a Super B right now. As a comparison to my B1-04, they are both very tough looking turbos. Both are extremely heavy and appear well made. Both have huge dual volute wastegates. Both have bigger shafts than I have seen in any other charger, with the B1-04 appearing just a tad bigger than the Super B. The exhaust housing on the Super B is slightly smaller than the B1-04. The compressor housing on the Super B is slightly smaller than the B1-04. The compressor wheel on the Super B is really small….appearing smaller than stock. This is suppose to give it as good or better than stock spool-up, but the extended tip wheel is suppose to make it flow much more air.

Piers just got a few S300s in that he is going to test as the secondary in his twin setup and see how they do.