3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Advice for a 1st time Cummins owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for a 1st time Cummins owner

Howdy,

I just traded in the PSD 6.0L for a 07 MegaCab 5.9L tonight... any advice for this type of truck?

I know when I owned the Pwr Stroke EGR valve maintenance was a must along with a few other things...

What should I look out for? Any special maintenance issues, things that break often, etc ???
Also, does someone make a body lift for a mega cab? Just curious...

I am excited to run it... I pick it up this Friday. I'll post pictures soon!

Things I plan on doing soon...
- MBRP
- Silencer ring removal -- still reading up on that.
- Leer truck cap (gotta do it for the winter months)
- tinting the windows.

Thanks in advance !!!
Tim/ROOFGOOF
Old 12-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey, Tim. Congrats on your new truck!!
A few things that I've learned from this site:
Don't use synthetic oil for a while. 20-30K, I think.
I have heard not so good things about using a K&N air filter, it is suposed to let larger particles into the turbo. My dealer told me not to use one.
Get a good break in period, like the manual says, then hook a heavy trailer to it, and pull the crap out of it. This is suposed to help out in fuel mileage.
Keep good maintence up on the truck, it will last a lifetime!!

Good luck, and post some pics when you get them.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:57 PM

Get the "High Idle" feature enabled when you pick it up. Hold the dealer's feet to the fire about your new 40K purchase and that they should do it for free.

I had to dicker with mine because I went back a few weeks later because the service dept. was closed on Saturday which was the day I picked mine up. Some guys have gotten it for free and some have payed up to 1 hr. in labor.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:05 PM

My advice would be to drive it and enjoy not worrying about breaking down anymore. I also traded a 2004 6.0 POS for my Cummins. I am glad my 6.0 was garbage, if it hadn't been I may have never been converted to the Mighty Cummins. My 6.0 spent the first 12,000 miles back and forth to the shop, my Cummins has 40,000 trouble free hard working miles so far and counting.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:01 AM

I used to be Strokin but now I'm Cummin.
Beautiful.....Do they make T shirts with that on them ?? If not they should
Old 12-28-2006, 12:10 AM

They expensive because you keep buying toys for them
Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 PM

I'm another convert. Had an '03 6.0L that wouldn't stay running. Some differences to check out:

1) PS fuel filter change was every 25K. Cummins is . . . well, book says 15K, but people are changing around 5K-10K. The good news is that it is 30X easier on the Dodge than the PS.

2) You have to lube the front driveshaft every 7500 miles or so on the Dodge (if you have 4X4) . . . .didn't have to do that on the Ford

3) The electrical system is a bit more sensitive on the Dodge than the Ford. Be careful to use relay's on the Dodge when adding high amp accessories or you will get "overload" codes (like back-up lights, etc.) . . . didn't have those issues with the Ford.

4) The water/seperator is MUCH easier to drain on the Cummins . . . just turn the yellow handle on the fuel housing (driver's side of the block . . . . that's Port side for you boaters )

5) The Cummins doesn't have glow plugs . . . has a grid heater. Just a different system. Don't expect the "glow plug" light to come on every cold start on the Dodge like it did on your PS. Also, when it is cold, don't freak out when you start it for the first time and see your volt meter cycle between 10 and 15 amps . . . you lights will dim and it will act like it has a short . . . it is just the grid heater cycling until you hit 20 mph, or the air warms up. . . . normal on this engine.

6) Only takes 12qts of oil vs. 15qts.

Other than that . . . . enjoy the low end torque! Welcome to the site! I believe we have a much better engine!

Ohh . . almost forgot . . . . before you leave the dealer . . . open your door, leave your seatbelt unbuckled, put it in reverse and let off the break pedal . . . .
Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Jme

Originally Posted by FirstDodge
4) The water/seperator is MUCH easier to drain on the Cummins . . . just turn the yellow handle on the fuel housing (driver's side of the block . . . . that's Port side for you boaters )

]

Is this something that require regular checking? How often are you suppose to drain? This is also my first Cummins, ...hell, my first truck period. Just reading around for different things I can do myself to keep this baby running its best. Great info....Jamie
Old 01-06-2007, 01:31 AM

silencer ring removal

Hi ROOFGOOF. The silencer ring is easy to take out. Check your PM's.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jme
Is this something that require regular checking? How often are you suppose to drain? This is also my first Cummins, ...hell, my first truck period. Just reading around for different things I can do myself to keep this baby running its best. Great info....Jamie
I'd have to look in my manual to see what the interval to drain is. There is a light that comes on the dash when the water seperator is full. It isn't as predictable as changing your oil, because you could be buying fuel somewhere that has more water in it than other places, so it is somewhat individual. Personally, I take 5 min and drain mine about every 5K miles. If the light comes on (mine never does), then obviously, you need to do it then.

Here is a great step by step on how to change the fuel filter . . . it has some good pics in it of the yellow valve that you will use to drain the water/fuel.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
Old 01-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Jme

Originally Posted by FirstDodge
I'd have to look in my manual to see what the interval to drain is. There is a light that comes on the dash when the water seperator is full. It isn't as predictable as changing your oil, because you could be buying fuel somewhere that has more water in it than other places, so it is somewhat individual. Personally, I take 5 min and drain mine about every 5K miles. If the light comes on (mine never does), then obviously, you need to do it then.

Here is a great step by step on how to change the fuel filter . . . it has some good pics in it of the yellow valve that you will use to drain the water/fuel.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1

Thank you soooo much! People on here are truly a blessing. Thanks again...jamie
Old 01-06-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First piece of advice - if you don't plan to spend a great deal of modifying your truck into a 7500lb rocket propelled brick, GET OFF THIS SITE NOW!!!
If you choose to ignore this first piece of advise - and we all hope you do - then my second piece of advice is to use the search button and learn as much as possible as fast as possible. As you read don't be afraid to start posts with specific questions. This is a great site and everyone is very helpfull. Have fun, and by the way, after sitting in the back of a Mega recently, let me say that you made the right decision.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:03 PM

Another conversion! I love it! Im one too. Enjoy your truck.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 PM

First Dodge.... WOW ! Thank you so much for that info. That helps alot. I found out about the horn thing the other day...scared me

I was also nervous about the volt meter moving back and forth in the mornings with the lights dimming... You fixed my worries.

I just crossed 1000 miles on the rig... lovin it so far!!! Need to pick up some mud flaps quick, new front coils (dont want to do the spacers)... MBRP system, ordering a leer cap this week..and getting the bed sprayed...oh, and getting the front windows smoked

Cheers !!! and I appreciate everyones help!!!
Oh, and I am probally beating a dead horse, but where are you guys getting your filters, etc for the truck and what oil is everyone running??? I use to run Rotella T in my PSD.