3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AD 100 install part 2 - canister modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure that's fine.
When you attached the fittings, especially the ones that are inside the canister, did you use diesel fuel thread sealant or is that white teflon tape?

And it looks like all the fitting parts are either copper or stainless steel - correct?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ctd4stan
I'm sure that's fine.
When you attached the fittings, especially the ones that are inside the canister, did you use diesel fuel thread sealant or is that white teflon tape?

And it looks like all the fitting parts are either copper or stainless steel - correct?
It is fine, it works great, have never had a problem.

I didn't use teflon tape, I used thread sealer. The fittings are brass (not copper) in the canister, they're whatever came with the Glacier draw straw.

Are you doing something similar?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:33 AM

There are variations but its all basically the same thing. Even though I have an AD FP100, I like the idea of using a larger suction line than stock. What's interesting is that the new AD Fuel Mod unit ($65) returns the AD back into the stock fuel port (leaving the stock return port for the CP3). So, I'm leaning towards that for the return and installing a draw straw as my fuel port. Then this setup will mirror the AD design - if they are endorsing this setup for their product, that works for me.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:11 AM

Yeah, I saw their new canister, seems kinda weird.
So the question is, is it better to have the "restriction" on the sucking side or on the pushing side of the pump?
I think on the sucking side is better, if you don't draw enough you'll just have reduced pressure and see that on your FP gauge, if you have it on the return, the pumps trying to push more through the small hose than it ccan handle, what's gonna happen to the excess pressure? I'd think that would be harder on the pump than the other way, but who knows for sure...
Old 03-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Right Mark, and even if [the fuel] is slightly warm it's still better than, having the canister running dry which is what it was doing before the mod. When I was tinkering with this I was playing with the setup in a 5 gallon pail, the fuel from the AD was not "hot" at all.
Very nice install!
Understand why you did what you did but......?
Since I got my Quadzilla Adrenaline, one of the readouts I enjoy watching is fuel temps.
Cummins measures the temps at the VP-44, and I get daily summertime temps well in excess of the 160*......
the max recommended for any diesel fuel.
This is with standard return line to the tank.

Common Rails may run cooler...??
Your part of N. America may not get these kinds of fuel temps.....??

Just thought I'd share a potential problem area with your setup! Good Luck

RJ
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM

Hey RJ,
It would only be an issue when the level of the fuel is below the top of the canister but I've run mine down below that in the summer time towing our trailer in the interior of BC where it's 100* and have not had a problem.

Also AD and others are supplying kits to basically mod the canister like I've done so the pump return goes back to the canister, if it was an issue I don't think they'd be doing it..?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:59 PM

Hope some of you guys don't mind revisiting an old post, that has been very helpful to many, I am sure.

What is the difference between the Liberty pump canister, and the Ram canister, in un-modified forms ?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM

Only difference is the Liberty unit doesn't have a pump in it.