3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AD 100 install part 2 - canister modification

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the downfalls of dumping the hot return fuel right back into the pickup "area"? It soulds like you could have made a great fuel heater? Maybe not...

I am so glad I have an 03-04 style pickup canister.

Whoops...did I read that right...that was the return from the lift pump????
Old 06-23-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cquestad
What about the downfalls of dumping the hot return fuel right back into the pickup "area"? It soulds like you could have made a great fuel heater? Maybe not...

I am so glad I have an 03-04 style pickup canister.

Whoops...did I read that right...that was the return from the lift pump????
I dont think there is any downfall to having the the return line going back to the canister..engine or lift pump..the engine return goes back there no matter what anyway...lift pump just keeps the canister full..the airdog return fuel is far from "hot"
Old 06-23-2008, 12:19 PM

Right Mark, and even if it is slightly warm it's still better than, having the canister running dry which is what it was doing before the mod.
When I was tinkering with this I was playing with the setup in a 5 gallon pail, the fuel from the AD was not "hot" at all.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 PM

ha Fisherguy thanks for clearing that up for me. I have a 100gph AD one the way. I would just as soon do it right the first time and not have any suction problems at low fuel levels like so many have. But thanks for tutoring im newbie but trying to learn.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:34 PM

No problem, glad to help, Mark has been a real inspiration!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:44 PM

I have done about the same thing. But instead of using the drawstraw as a return, it is the pick-up for my fass. I'm using the old factory feed line as a fass return, I bought the dorman fitting to 3/8 line adapter from glacier. And I also have my factory return filling the bowl as well. I don't have fuel pressure problems until the tank is empty. I even drove it til it was on E and drove around agressively to try and get it to suck air but fuel pressure was steady.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM

Cool, did you use the factory canister with the pump removed or a Liberty unit?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Wow that is great! Nice work and great pics!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Cool, did you use the factory canister with the pump removed or a Liberty unit?
I used the liberty module.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice job on the fab up and install Fisherguy. I do have one question though. Since the A/D removes the air from the fuel then returns the air raided fuel to the tank via the return line, and with the return line routed to the same location as the pick up, isn't this making the A/D set up work harder, and defeating the intended purpose? Seems like a cascading effect of drawing air raided fuel.

I understand why you guy's did this mod was to eliminate low fuel issue's, but did it create another problem?

This is just a question guy's, not insulting anyone. All of you did a super nice job fabing up and solving the low fuel issue's.

Tim
Old 08-02-2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Very nice job on the fab up and install Fisherguy. I do have one question though. Since the A/D removes the air from the fuel then returns the air raided fuel to the tank via the return line, and with the return line routed to the same location as the pick up, isn't this making the A/D set up work harder, and defeating the intended purpose? Seems like a cascading effect of drawing air raided fuel.

I understand why you guy's did this mod was to eliminate low fuel issue's, but did it create another problem?

This is just a question guy's, not insulting anyone. All of you did a super nice job fabing up and solving the low fuel issue's.

Tim
the AD can separate 80% air and still be effective...plus the bubbles will float to the top of the canister while you are sucking up fuel from the bottom of the canister...I dont think it's a problem....
Old 08-02-2008, 11:19 AM

No offense taken.
Like Mark said above (and he was a big help with my project), not really an issue. Most of the time the canister will be submerged in fuel anyhow, it's not very often I run the tank to ¼ tank or lower anyhow, especially when filling the thing up costs me about $200 cdn!
Old 08-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool, thanks guy's.

Tim
Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 AM

Fisherguy,
When you did the canister mod, did you put the return line almost to the bottom too (like the suction line)?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 AM

No, I put the return just below the plastic supports when it was sitting on the bench. I just wanted to put so I new it would pump back into the canister. I guess I coulda shortened it a little and uses a tie-wrap to hold it in place against the spring in the picture below.

Quick Reply: AD 100 install part 2 - canister modification