3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Acetone improves MPG!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acetone improves MPG!

I dunno'...What do you guy's think? Anyone tried this? Seems very logical from a chemistry perspective....Maybe help with our injectors??

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

--D
Old 04-10-2005, 08:26 PM

Quick update: The guy's over on Pirate4x4 are showing some real number increases (in gassers anyway)...I haven't checked yet, but there suposidly is a thread over on the Diesel-Stop about this. Some are showing 4-5.5 MPG increase!

Check the Pirate posts at: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341237
Old 04-10-2005, 08:37 PM

My dad is a chemist woth Dupont and agrees that the Acetone can be a catalyst to aid in clean (hence efficient burning of fuel....gas or diesel)....his concern was that it may attack certain materials in the fuel system....interestingly he stated that glass is about the only thing he is sure of that acetone won't attack......I have an old Jacobsen F10 Mower that uses an industrial gas Ford Engine and in the instruction manual, it states that if gas is allowed to sit and varnishes up the carb it is OK to drain the carb and filll it with Acetone and then drain it out after letting it sit for awhile to dissolve gums and varnishes....I suppose in the old carbs it may be OK to do but I am not sure about rubber lines / parts etc....Anybody out there wanna try it and report on this?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
From the end of his post,

Disclaimer If you do harm to yourself, your vehicle, or anything within 3000 nautical miles of yourself it is your fault. These items are posted for the fun of it and in no way constitute advice or directions or recipes.
...........works fine in my lawnmower
Old 04-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acetone eats plastic and rubber.

Your fuel tank is plastic, the fuel lines are rubber.

phox
Old 04-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Yea, it eat's paint too...

But the quantities we are talking about are 2oz/10galsl...Or .003 by volume...Not enough or start desolving your tank, or anything else for that matter.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
It also evaporates very fast. If you put some in you tank will it last in there???
Old 04-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Banned

Could you still run your lubricity additives with acetone effectively or would one possibly cancel out the other, or even worse turn your truck into a rolling meth lab explosion???
Old 04-12-2005, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by RockRover
Some are showing 4-5.5 MPG increase!
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I would say that if any additive added that much fuel economy then it'd already be out on the market and well known for doing so.

As stated earlier in the thread, a Chemist from Dupont knows about the potential benefits of Acetone... dont you think most other chemists in the world know about it too, then? And have already experimented with it?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:46 PM

idea , place the mixture in a glass, plastic, and metal jar. set it in the garage for some time and see if there is anything going on. in the glass jar, cut a small piece of fuel line and drop it in.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by blk4x4ram
idea , place the mixture in a glass, plastic, and metal jar. set it in the garage for some time and see if there is anything going on. in the glass jar, cut a small piece of fuel line and drop it in.
The author of the original article already did this. He claimed that it took a high percentage of acetone to affect the rubber and plastic that he had sitting in the jar. At low concentrations, but still much higher than 2oz per 10gal, there was no damage noticed after months and even years sitting in the mixture. I don't think a .156% concentration (2oz:1280oz) there's any damage of breaking down seals prematurely. I'd consider doing it, but not until I hear from someone who found it to actually improve MPG in their 3G CTD. I am going to try it in my motorcycle, though. I might even put a half teaspoon or so in my riding lawnmower and see if it runs any cleaner or mows further between fills... would be nice to get the whole yard mowed without having to stop!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Banned

Back in my motorcycle racing days I used to use 404 accitone per gallon and also added 1 oz of 2 cycle oil to my bike on race day, it made a huge difference on performance and I had no ill effects from it, all fuel lines were the clear plastic stuff, the bikes were all 2 strokes.

Cheers, Kevin
Old 04-12-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by doomgaze
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I would say that if any additive added that much fuel economy then it'd already be out on the market and well known for doing so.

As stated earlier in the thread, a Chemist from Dupont knows about the potential benefits of Acetone... dont you think most other chemists in the world know about it too, then? And have already experimented with it?
If an engineer/chemist or who ever works for an oil company found a way to double fuel mileage for any motor vehicle, he would either be paid off to keep his mouth shut, fired, knocked off, or what have you. None of the oil companies want you to get better mileage, that would cut into their profits. That's just what I think, but I could be crazy. NO...... wait, I am crazy.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:43 PM

No doubt, DSLRammin... but there are chemists all over the world. Surely one of them will eventually discover the same thing.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:50 PM

I agree doomgaze, I just wonder how many of them have been paid an insane amount of money to come work for a company. Were the company can keep an eye on them and put them to good use.

Quick Reply: Acetone improves MPG!