3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

?? about installing the amsoil dual remote filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?? about installing the amsoil dual remote filter

I am wondering if anybody has installed the dual filter setup with the mount sold by john??? over on tdr. I am wondering what size bolts are used to go into the head. I am going to make my own bracket to go in that location but I don't know what size the bolts used in the kit are. I have my old mount installed and am getting a huge problem with the hummmmmmmmmming. I am going to switch to the mount on the motor but I don't want to strip out the threads in the head..
Thanks for the info in advance!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:37 AM

Solving the Hum with the dual Remote

I built my own chassis mounted bracket and had a bad case of the hum.
I replaced the bolts holding the mount to the bracket with sandwich isolators from Mcmaster car.
Search on "Neoprene Sandwich Mounts" at their catalog website. I used neoprene ones with a 1/4" stud on 1 side and a 1/4" tapped hole in the other, and chose a low durometer. Do not remember the PN. It absolutly solved the hum problem Without the need to relocate the filter housing. I have my filters located behind the front bumper so I can change them without getting oil on anything except my hands and the drain pan
Hope that this helps.

Jim B
Old 12-29-2005, 12:57 PM

just got off the phone with john and he told me that I would probably need to modify the mount he sells anyway since the cross brace he provides with the kit mounts to the intake horn.. I have the Banks high ram and it will not work. He was able to tell me that he "thinks" it is a 6mm bolt but didn't know exactly what thread it was. I will have to go to the hardware store and just try some bolts out. I definately want it mounted there since the hummmmming is driving me nuts and it seems the only cure for it is mounting it to the engine. I will try some r&d and find out what size it is and let you know when I find out... unless someone beats me to it.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:08 PM

Solved My Hum Problem With Amsoil Dual Bypass

I solved the hum problem on my chassis mountrd filter setup by replacing the 4 housing mounting bolts with "Neoprene Sandwich Mounts" that I purchased these from Mcmaster carr. It absolutly solved the hum problem. (Even my wife cannot hear it)

I used ones with a 1/4" stud on 1 side and a 1/4" tapped hole in the other with a 3/4" OD, and chose a low durometer. Do not remember the PN.

I like this solution because it gives flexibility as to where the filters are located. I wanted them out of the engine compartment where I could change the filters without dripping oil all over the place.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 1218 They have great (usually overnight )shipping to my location.

Regards,
jim b
Old 12-31-2005, 02:30 AM

I moved my filters up to a mount like johns bolted to the head with 8mmx1.25 bolts. They only go in about 1/2" into the head but it got the job done. When I called john he said the price was $115 plus shipping just for the bracket and bolts. I didn't think it was worth that much. It only took a small piece of 1/4" plate steel and a few bolts to get it done for me.
Just thaught I would let you know what size they are in case someone else is thinking about making their own bracket!! thanks for all the help!
Old 12-31-2005, 07:19 AM

The head bolts are p1.25 X 20 bolts.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by SuperGewl
The head bolts are p1.25 X 20 bolts.
yes but they are 8mm. and yes probably 20mm long.