3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

717 Hp Cr

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO no.

Lifespan is inversely propotional to work.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cquestad
IMHO no.

That is what my gut feeling is too. And naturally, with the extra power on tap you are going to want to "play" at least a little bit. So you are probably going to stress some components more than a bone stock truck which would probably shorten it slightly.

Currently, I am running my Smarty on level 9....but drive it sensibly. Will that in and of itself shorten it's lifespan? Any other "experts" want to chime in?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
DTR Advertiser

I would think if they were driven close to the same yes, it would but it would be a small amount. I think that on 9 as it comes up in rpm and ramps all the timing in, there is more cylinder press, hense more wear. The problem is a lot of people will use the power if it is instantly available. I just installed the newest version of the smarty for aftermarket injectors and turbo and love it. I run it everyday on 4. This smarty feels more powerful then the crazy larry program and drives better also. I wish we could get rid of the top speed limiter though. I need to get back on the dyno again. Tim
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Marco is working on the speed and rev limiter, its only a matter of time
Old 01-17-2007, 02:10 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
Marco is working on the speed and rev limiter, its only a matter of time

Yee Haww!!! That'll rock
Old 01-17-2007, 02:11 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
That is what my gut feeling is too. And naturally, with the extra power on tap you are going to want to "play" at least a little bit. So you are probably going to stress some components more than a bone stock truck which would probably shorten it slightly.

Currently, I am running my Smarty on level 9....but drive it sensibly. Will that in and of itself shorten it's lifespan? Any other "experts" want to chime in?

Dude, even if your truck was stock your tranny will fall out by next week

right after the 8 stops following 7
Old 01-17-2007, 02:13 PM

I want a ride in that Beast!!!!!!!! I'm coming down there tomorrow Tim. Just leave the keys in the ashtray and leave the door unlocked. I'll be nice to it.........
Old 01-17-2007, 02:26 PM

IMHO no.

I agree with this

even tho i am an older school person, i will build a third or fourth gen later on in my life, I have very quickly come to realize that you cannot have your cake and eat it to, I wanted a 700 horse 12V, but for my towing, and daily driven applications, it just cannot be done without too much smoke, or broken parts, IMHO, most have to settle for a happy medium if you want to use your truck for work and play, as I realize that I have to, (its my only truck for now) or if you are lucky enough to have a DD and a toy, the toy can be unlimited, and the DD, just enough per say, IMHO with my figures i have a just enough toy to beat most on the road, and still tow 15K lbs if i have to... cant argue with that for now..

Do i beat on my truck sencelessly? again i use the notion that its the only one i have, and at times i hate wrenching and down time (when its due to stuff ive broken) If i did beat on my truck, i dont think the stock HG and bolts would have lasted this long...

Rick
Old 01-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Yaaaah on the limiter and cruise limiter!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 PM

Does the speed limiter change at all with my bigger tires? Because I have had it pull hard past 110 (according to the speedo).
Old 01-17-2007, 06:55 PM

No...you just had enough umph to accel past...you can't run constant above 108-110 on the speedo.

I can hit 120ish for a split second.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:22 PM

No...you just had enough umph to accel past...you can't run constant above 108-110 on the speedo.

I can hit 120ish for a split second.
That makes sense. I only did it for a split second teaching some guy a lesson so I never had it kick in.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:45 PM

who did this...???

Anyone on here?

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...hp-1406tq.html
Old 01-18-2007, 01:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Timinva
I would think if they were driven close to the same yes, it would but it would be a small amount. I think that on 9 as it comes up in rpm and ramps all the timing in, there is more cylinder press, hense more wear. The problem is a lot of people will use the power if it is instantly available. ...................... Tim

Tim I appreciate your opinion as I know it is well respected on this board. Currently I am running my truck on level 9 even though it is basically a daily driver. Im not worried about the trans yet. I know it needs to be built, but the way im using it....I doubt im hurting it. But the cylinder pressure increase does concern me if it is shortening the lifespan or stressing my engine unnecessarily.

You mentioned earlier about the potential factory flaws in the motor showing up when going from 500 to say 700hp, is also a concern of mine. I am at a "fork in the road" so to speak about whether I want to go all out and really BOMB my truck, or just have a nice 450-500hp for daily driving. I tow often, I drive 60 miles minimum a day, and I don't have the deep pockets to afford to "blow up" my truck or have a catastrophic engine failure.

Fuel pressure and trans upgrades are coming soon. How far I go with the trans upgrades......and how far I go with the bombs is still yet undetermined.

Any advice you have to offer is welcome. I don't see my truck becoming a drag truck or sled truck....just a dyno queen....if that.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:14 AM
DTR Advertiser

When I say more wear, it is a very small difference. You should have no problems going 300k miles mildly bombed. If you use good sense, let it warm up easy, use good oil changed regularly, etc. These engines are very reliable and tough. My 00 truck has been over 600hp for 3 years with no side effects I can tell. Tim