3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

717 Hp Cr

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Yeah but this is Diesel ONLY!!
yes i know and Reb was around 750ish on #2 only and 893 with No2 but like i said he should be MINIMUM 1000hp with his new setup, and i cant wait till its done. its very very close and its going to OPEN some eyes for different approaches with cummins.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Great post!!!!
Originally Posted by Don M
We are getting into a realm now where the street driven trucks with 700 plus HP could become dangerous if not treated with respect.

In the old 12 valve days the average guy had 400, then 500, 600 and a few had 700 and 800, but it took some time. The owner had the ability to adjust to the power.

With the CR engine, we can take a truck now to over 700 with a single turbo and 800 with twins in under a week. Some guys have no clue what 700 HP will do to their engines if it is used too much or how much trouble they can get into on the street playing with that.

I can promise you wont be smiling when a rod goes blasting through the block or you sail through an intersection because you cant get stopped in time.

Some previous experience with higher power seems almost a required level before a guy goes bananas and gets 700 or 800 HP in a daily street truck. With ball bearing turbos, multiple pumps, and proper tuning we could take the CR from 250 RWHP to over 800 easily. Sounds great, until you figure out just how many people can do this and what the potential for disaster is.

Your nice new truck you tow the 5'r with aint gonna live a long life if you use the 700 or more HP all the time. It will be measured in thousands of miles, not hundreds of thousands.

I think the Flux 4's, dual CP3's, cam and the proper tuning combined to a set of correctly designed twin turbo set up will make 850 anywhere you go. Who really needs this? Whos trans can take that power very often? Remember the CR engine does not have the injection timing at 35 degrees like a 12 Valve does to make 850. So the CR will pound the TQ down like crazy with variable timing.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by inline6power
yes i know and Reb was around 750ish on #2 only and 893 with No2 but like i said he should be MINIMUM 1000hp with his new setup, and i cant wait till its done. its very very close and its going to OPEN some eyes for different approaches with cummins.
care to tell us about his new setup? any small details? twin turbos? twin cp3?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Timinva
Another thing to add. 700+rwhp will show all facory defects that will not show up in the 500hp range. I was blowing antifreeze out of the rad cap and popping through the intake, when I first hit it hard. Turns out my head was not exactly flat around the cooling ports and the intake valves were tuliping due to the factory valve springs. Milling .007, a complete valve job and F1 Springs fixed these. These problems never showed up racing or dynoing in the high 500hp range. Tim
A while back I was having the same problems... I think it's time to take the truck apart and put some F1 goodies in it!

After the milling and springs does it still blow out of the rad cap?

Also, will a .007 milling require a different head gasket?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 12:12 AM
DTR Advertiser

Lucas, It did fix it. I would prefer to have installed a thicker head gasket but was not able to find one. Cummins is working on one? However if they are not we are addressing it also. I would do a good inspection of the valves, seats and deck surface when you take it apart. It does not take much of a flaw to ruin your day. Tim
Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned

just rebuilt the engine due to dropped seat,only one dropped,but 4others where spinning,gotta look at them very well,only on exhaust side though.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 AM

Tim,
I wonder if we could stack gaskets...Or at least use several layers out of another common rail gasket.
It could be done so that the stagger of the different kinds of layers is not interrupted......
Old 01-14-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Timinva
Lucas, It did fix it. I would prefer to have installed a thicker head gasket but was not able to find one. Cummins is working on one? However if they are not we are addressing it also. I would do a good inspection of the valves, seats and deck surface when you take it apart. It does not take much of a flaw to ruin your day. Tim
NO they are not, This is an EPA regulated motor. The industral version and EPA version have a different head conigurations. A thicker HG is avialable for the industrial but not the EPA version since it is regulated. Direct from cummins and trust me I checked.

Richard
Old 01-14-2007, 12:29 PM

Ray,
We used to make industrial versions back in 2004 and 2003 at work and they used the same headgasket as the DCX common rails.
All Cummins engines comply with EPA regulations.

The head on the RV/Industrial ISB02 5.9 is basically the same. Accessory parts however can be different and make it appear to have a different head.
Part numbers are different but its basically the same head (as it would work on a DCX motor).

Your parts guy might be referring to the 12 Valve which has some choices as to headgasket thicknesses.
Even the 24V ISB with the VP44 only has one thickness of headgasket...
The 24v's that run thicker headgaskets are adapted 12V gaskets (usually marine gaskets).

If there really is a thicker common rail gasket it would work on our trucks since the ISB02's (industrial common rails) use the same head and block.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:33 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was talking to Tim about taking two gaskets and stacking the layers properly to get a single thicker part a few weeks back. Looking at the embossed area on some layers sent me in a different direction.

I hope that one day we can have a better part or hybrid solution anyone can apply. Cometic was no help, but rather greedy in their approach. They do have a part for the DMax and PS, so perhaps they will change their minds.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:46 PM

yeh really. I heard Cometic has no ineterest in the Cummins cause the machines they currently have are not big enough to handle the length of the cummins gasket??? It would be nice is they could do a production run to try out. Although I believe I heard that a lot of the PSD guys ended up not liking the Cometics.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by lmills
Although I believe I heard that a lot of the PSD guys ended up not liking the Cometics.
that is what I heard also
Old 01-14-2007, 05:56 PM
chw

Don, when you say 850 or more hp could possibly be achieved by using twins along with the dual pumps,injectors,and cam do you mean an off the shelf set up like most of us have? Like with a ht3b or a 5000 or do you mean like a huge custom setup?
Old 01-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WUnderwood
care to tell us about his new setup? any small details? twin turbos? twin cp3?
i would love to but he made me promiss not to tell anyone. i am just going to say this motor is going to be a major major player. no twins , but boost should be around 90ish to 100ish. thats all i can say
Old 01-14-2007, 06:16 PM

fair enough, thanks for the update. sounds like a serious motor!