3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

6sp conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6sp conversion?

i just thought id ask, but is it feasable to swap out the 48re for a 6sp? more and more i'm hating my POS auto.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:40 PM

before looking into that option, try to upgrade your tranny with a torque conv. and valve body. Dodge put a POS TC in because they didnt want to spend the extra cash to put differant trannys in the cummins and the gas burning engines.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:55 PM

I looked into it and it looked to be pretty darn expensive to say the least. The tranny alone was anywhere from 1500 to 3000 bucks for used to new. Then you have all of the pedals and I never could get a staight answer if it would bolt up to the t-case correctly. Looked like a big can of worms to me. I suggest to do the mod that John Rodrigez posted on how to lock up the torque conv. I did it and being able to lock up the tranny makes me like the tranny alot more. Still not a 6er though. LOL
Old 12-28-2005, 07:21 PM

Guys, It will cost about $6000 to buy a 6sp standard, twin disc clutch and one pedal, the clutch pedal. The drive shaft will have to be changed, The ECM will have to be reflashed for the standard by the dealer. I think someone on here did this maybe on a 2nd gen. I looked at it when my tranny went and it was not the cost so much as the time to get everthing cobbed together. I don't know if any of the shops specialize in doing this in one quick shot. ks.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:11 PM

when you do the TC lockup, you are just locking up the crappy TC you hate. If you ask anyone who has done a TC mod, they all says its well worth the money!! Its my next big mod but I aint going to do it until i get back from my tour.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:13 PM

Spend the $6k on your automatic instead.

The six-shooter sucks when you want to haul ****. You can't shift fast enough.

The only time you'll beat someone in a race is with a rolling start.

You should drive a truck with some HP and a built auto. I think you'd be impressed.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:46 PM

You will be amazed how quick you can shift the gears. Also, manuals will always sound better than a auto. I would say just build your auto.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JCLeary

You should drive a truck with some HP and a built auto. I think you'd be impressed.

I will have to second that opinion. I have driven a 570hp 2nd gen with a built DTT tranny (47re) and that things hauls butt. Shifts are nice and firm.

Once the tranny is built, you put whatever power you can make to the ground, and it will shift quicker than you can shift a 6 speed. The problem with shifting yourself is that you lose boost when you press in the clutch...so no matter how "fast" you are at shifting........you are losing power each shift until it powers it back up again.

Spend the 6k and get a built DTT, ATS, or Goerends or something. You will not be dissappointed. I am hoping Santa will bring me one next year.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
Guys, It will cost about $6000 to buy a 6sp standard, twin disc clutch and one pedal, the clutch pedal.
6 LARGE!!! Holy Cow! I'm glad mine came with the truck....no charge at that.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:53 AM

I once changed an auto Mustang to a manual. What you have to remeber is everything is a bolt in. If you get all the parts from a like truck I for one don't think it is that hard. A little time consuming yes.

It depends on what you plan on doing with the truck and how long your are going to keep it whether it is worth it or not.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 AM

Add a short shift kit to the sixer and take some time off your shifts.Night and day difference.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fummins
Add a short shift kit to the sixer and take some time off your shifts.Night and day difference.
That will be going in with my dual disc. Still can't make up for loosing boost, though.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That will be going in with my dual disc. Still can't make up for loosing boost, though.
Sure you can. Just don't let off between gears. Of course, that might be pretty hard on the transmission...