3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

51" Donaldson...BAD VIBRATION at idle!! Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
51" Donaldson...BAD VIBRATION at idle!! Ideas?

Just got my 51" Donaldson installed on the truck and I love it! Its so quiet now and there's no drone with a lot less turbo bark

The only problem is at idle there's a HORRIBLE vibration/drone!! Its only at idle...soon as I touch the gas its gone!! I crawled underneath the truck and couldnt find anywhere its touching the cab that I could see. Its not visually vibrating either.

Any ideas???

Also...is there a particular way its suppose to be installed? Which end is the inlet and which is the outlet? Just for reference just in-case the guy installed it backwards...
Old 03-12-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inlet is the side with the lip.

As far as vibration goes..., I have none so your install has an issue somewhere, perhaps a hanger is hitting the frame or the pipe is hitting a crossmember, frame or body somewhere ahead or behind the muffler.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:18 PM

Alright thanks for the input. I agree, it has to be touching/rubbing somewhere and I just couldnt see it. I'm going to take it to the muffler shop tomorrow and have them throw it up on the lift. Surely we'll find something...

Its a little quiet for my taste after being used to the Aero but man, running 80 MPH down the interstate and being able to hear yourself think is amazing. The sound is cool though, a lot more turbo whistle out the exhaust.

If I can just find the vibration proble....it'll be good to go!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 PM

yes, I agree with it touching/ rubbing somewhere, maybe when it is up on the lift you can see it better
Old 03-13-2007, 06:28 AM
tcr

I had the same problem, mine was in a bind, not hanging freely. Even if it's NOT touching anything this can happen. The muffler should have been installed so that the system is hanging free not bound up. What happens is the system is now so rigid, it is carrying the vibes from the engine all the way to the tailpipe. Go look at your tailpipe when the truck is in gear(under load), it's probably vibrating, then put it park(no load) it should be less or gone.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 AM

TCR....what did you have to do to fix it if it was in a bind?? I checked the muffler and tail-pipe....no visible vibration that I could see.

I crawled underneath again today and found a place where its touching a rubber cab mount....that should be the problem. The muffler is going to have to be moved back about 8-10 inches to clear the cab mount....
Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 AM

Great sound isn't it. I've had mine on about a week and I'm still loving it. Getting the muffler off the cab mount should fix your vibration problem, just be sure to let us know the outcome.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM

Well, $50 later the problem is fixed. Had to move the muffler back about 10 inches and re-weld it up. Just glad I'm not riding around with that vibration anymore. It honestly felt like someone had stuck a 12 inch subwoofer under my seat and just had a constant bass hit going through it...it was nuts!!

The sound is different...almost too quiet. I do miss my Aero for just driving around town, loved that sound but like I said before....its great to roll down the road at 80 MPH and the only sound I hear is the turbo whistle and the slight "hum" of my tires.

I do like it though when you stick your foot in it....has that really deep tone and you can really hear the turbo through the exhaust. My EGTs have dropped a bit as well...a nice surprise.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:28 PM

Did you have a hanger welded to it to tie into the stock rubber?