3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

50hp. Nozzles on Stock Programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only time I've read of guys having issues with programmers is from them doing a bunch of switching around. Changing programmers, or changing programs.

I've run a Bully Dog Triple Dog for years now in my 06 and I have had no problems what so ever. I don't change the program either though. It has Crazy Larry and that's plenty of power for me (or the average users frankly). Never hear anything bad about Smarty's either. Everyone loves them.

I can't see what an issue would be with a stack like an Edge. If it gave you a fit for whatever reason after putting it on...just go unplug it. There's nothing to it. Most of the time fine they're fine.

You're looking for power gains the hard way IMO, and everything you strap on would better benefit from the limiting factory programming.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM

Ok, been doing some reading on the Smarty Jr. and have some questions... It bascially has 3 settings above stock, but then with this "POD" enabled, you can de-tune to currently loaded software???
Does the Smarty Jr increase rail pressure???
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smarty Jr does not change rail pressure at all..

You are correct on PoD. I used it for a while, but have since stopped.. except at Elk Camp where I like the desensitized throttle on winding dirt roads.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nascarcamper
No electronics at all since engine was replaced on Chrysler's dime. Don't think a fooler will help anyway, my 03 is completely mechanical for boost, adjusted the elbow in a full turn and it did nothing to PSI.
Put my EDGE EZ back on but I turned it down to the lowest setting (1) before I headed to MIS for the NASCAR weekend yesterday. It does boost fooling and it did allow the raise that I expected with the adjustment to the elbow. I was able to hit 35 psi fairly easy. Not sure the EZ will stay, still would like to change turbo and maybe a Smarty to get full benefit of 50 HP sticks.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM

Don't you have to have better fueling to take advantage of the DDP50's?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 AM

Another ???? for those running Smarty Jr. I am following a thread on another forum that appears at this point to be un-acceptable soot load levels due to Smarty Jr.!!!!..
Is this something I am going to need to keep a check on?..
Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Poor,

Remember, you are already running a computer with programming to operate your timing and injector duration. The stock setup already soots the rear fender.

A Smarty is just a modification to the existing program that increases duration and timing. No external hardware. These changes add more fuel without more pressure and advance the timing for mileage, torque and EGT control. You can go back to the stock program anytime you want to.

50 HP injectors are designed to increase atomization and that's a good thing. They also get the injection event completed sooner, so it acts a bit like timing, or at least is gets the balance of the fuel in there sooner, but it doesn't start the injection event sooner.

A Smarty set on the higher settings will definitely produce more smoke. Depends on your throttle. If I jump on mine at highway speeds to pass someone, it sends out a haze I can easily see, so I just roll it on and no problems. Driving it easily I get no more soot than stock. At full power in the mountains and really pulling there is no visible smoke.

With my Smarty I get a lot more power, better mileage and better throttle response. EGT has never been a problem and I watch it. I start getting nervous at about 1100*. This is the only engine I've ever had that actually never requires full throttle to do wonders. Pulling a load, on a grade and passing, for instance. It just seems like it will twist off the driveshaft before giving up. It definitely will overpower the tranny long before running out of power.

Your comment about having to stop alongside the road to pull fuses or something seems crazy. This setup has been completely invisible except for when I have decided to make a programming change just to see how it ran. 90 HP with timing is a good place to be for all around use. Dodge should have made them this way. A bit of diesel rattle, buckets of torque, good mileage, no temperamental adjustments and instant throttle response. What else is there?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the reply.... I dont mind the smoke out the tailpipe... like you said, it can be managed by changing driving habits. Its the high soot levels in the engine oil that I worry about. Apparently, guys are installing the Smarty Jr. and oil samples are coming back bad.. extremely high soot levels.... I am trying to keep up with this other thread to find out if its due to extended oil change intervals or if its inherent to the Smarty...
Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 PM

I guess I have to respond one more time. My oil color has not changed with the Smarty.

This is the best engine for oil consumption and cleanliness I have ever seen! I change my oil a 10,000 mile intervals and I am over 200,000 miles on the truck. It has never used a quart between changes and it comes out just brown, not black.

I know the 04.5 and later engines soot the oil more, but I see no reason to blame the Smarty. It may have more to do with the third injection event or piston crown design. I'm not sure on that one.

It seems you are doing a lot of research and being very cautious. Exploring every possible problem. Good. But really, Smarty is not the cause of problems as far as I know. If it was we'd be all over it.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the response... ya' know... after thinking about it more, the soot level shouldnt be an issue for me due to the fact that I change my oil every 5K.
I know i'm a little too cautious... but I like for things to be trouble-free. I see engines getting tore up every day and really dont want to have to work on my own stuff when I get home.!!!. Things that don't work as designed just twist me up... But if I can buy some extra power that can be trouble-free, I'm all about that!!!!.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Raspy
I guess I have to respond one more time. My oil color has not changed with the Smarty.

This is the best engine for oil consumption and cleanliness I have ever seen! I change my oil a 10,000 mile intervals and I am over 200,000 miles on the truck. It has never used a quart between changes and it comes out just brown, not black.

I know the 04.5 and later engines soot the oil more, but I see no reason to blame the Smarty. It may have more to do with the third injection event or piston crown design. I'm not sure on that one.

It seems you are doing a lot of research and being very cautious. Exploring every possible problem. Good. But really, Smarty is not the cause of problems as far as I know. If it was we'd be all over it.
The 04.5+'s do run a black oil from 2 seconds after the change, so the only way to tell anything about the oil is UOA. UOA is only needed if you run extended drain intervals. If you run normal intervals there are no issues with Smarty timing and soot in the oil, it takes more than 15K miles for the soot levels to rise.. So it just depends on you how maintain your rig.

I have seen soot shoot up every time I run TM4, nothing else changes.. But like I said thats with over 15K on the oil.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 AM

AH,

I love that comment. "2 seconds after the change" I know what you mean. My Passat is just that way and I've seen other diesels do it too. Some engines must have a lot more blowby or something. Also the new oil gets black from the small amount of oil left during the change.

But why specifically do the '04.5 and later ones soot so much more than the earlier ones? And does it really affect the lubricating quality? Doesn't seem like it does as sooty engines don't seem to wear out faster.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Raspy
AH,

I love that comment. "2 seconds after the change" I know what you mean. My Passat is just that way and I've seen other diesels do it too. Some engines must have a lot more blowby or something. Also the new oil gets black from the small amount of oil left during the change.

But why specifically do the '04.5 and later ones soot so much more than the earlier ones? And does it really affect the lubricating quality? Doesn't seem like it does as sooty engines don't seem to wear out faster.
The oil can be black and still have very very low soot, but soot does increase wear.

The 04.5+ engines have the same cam as 03-04, but the cam combined with the piston design and 3rd injection event are to blame.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by gpshemi
Don't you have to have better fueling to take advantage of the DDP50's?
I don't see why. They are supposed to give better atomization and that is not related to the fueling map. Also, they will just be letting in more fuel with a given throttle position, so you'll give it less throttle to go the same speed. Then when you want more power the larger nozzles will let in more fuel and you'll get more power.

Of course, programming can do even more and also advance the timing.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
The oil can be black and still have very very low soot, but soot does increase wear.

The 04.5+ engines have the same cam as 03-04, but the cam combined with the piston design and 3rd injection event are to blame.

This is what I have heard too. But more specifically, why does the piston crown design cause more soot? Poor combustion would cause more smoke out the pipe, for instance, but why the oil? And if it's the third injection event, they how does that do it? If that is it then it must be related to blowby.

Also, you say the oil can be black and have very very low soot. What eolse is causing the oil to get black besides soot?

Quick Reply: 50hp. Nozzles on Stock Programming