3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

50hp. Nozzles on Stock Programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50hp. Nozzles on Stock Programming

Been thinking about putting a set of DDP 50 hp. nozzles in my otherwise stock truck. Only thing added is a Silverline exhaust system. Anybody running these on a stock truck?.
I'm wondering about excessive smoke, added power on the bottom end? EGT? Fuel economy really isnt a concern. I just have no plans to add aftermarket programming to my truck.
Do thses nozzles give 50 hp just on the top end of the RPM range? How much hp/torque do they provide down at peak torque rpm?..
Old 08-08-2010, 12:54 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I want a set for mine too, but haven't quite got around to it and my Smarty has about 150,000 miles on it.

I know you don't want a programmer, but a Smarty is a very nice upgrade that will add torque, mileage, throttle response and overall power to the level you set. You don't have to go crazy with a real high number and they don't add fuel pressure.

One of these days I'll get nozzles after I get a tranny.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
I know you don't want a programmer, but a Smarty is a very nice upgrade that will add torque, mileage, throttle response and overall power to the level you set.
Thanks for the response...

I had actually thought about putting a programmer on it, but I think I would rather make a mechanical change. Maybe after the nozzles, if I decide to change the turbo, I'll have to make a programming change then...
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM

I had a set of DDP +50 injectors installed when mine crapped out. It runs smoother than it ever did with the stockers. There is no extra smoke at idle or at any rpm that I can notice. Had some trouble at first with smoke at idle but turned out to be a sticking FCA that the dealer could not find or figure out. The service from DDP was awsome. Had it dynoed after new injectors installed and after I reset valvetrain ( dealer said "they don't have too recheck them" ) . It put down 319.6hp and 614.4tq and was told at stock it should be around 245hp. Only addons at the time was aFe intake, cold air kit and 4" magnaflow exhaust. Hope this helps
Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 AM

I have DDP 50's. Had them installed at dealer when they replaced the whole motor for a holed piston due to bad original injector, they were only going to replace the 1 bad and I went for all six DDP's. No real noticeable smoke. Definitely smooth, you can set a beverage on valve cover and it won't move while at idle. Hard to say on power, I went from a Edge EZ stacked with a TST and now have no electronics or program installed at all, so to my feeling, it is a little lacking in power but it has been years since I drove this truck basically stock. Thinking now may be the time to sell Dodge and make the move up to a nice International Towmaster that I have been eyeing, more suited for what I pull, anybody interested in a 2003 with 69xxx miles and less than 1500 miles on new motor? This truck is stored all winter, never seen snow. I will post it soon on the for sale section.

Last edited by Nascarcamper; 08-09-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-09-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got industrial tips on mine at near the same power. With the TST off, i noticed better bottom end but still not great, as the emissions tune in the ecm does everything to keep it from adding fuel until there is boost. No smoke at all in stock form unless i bounce the throttle a few time before taking off. With the TST turned is were i really noticed a difference.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you will like the ddp 50's add the smarty jr and a pdr or colt cam and see a 42% increase in mpg. the mod get's rid of the in cylinder egr used on the 06
Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by carl48
you will like the ddp 50's add the smarty jr and a pdr or colt cam and see a 42% increase in mpg. the mod get's rid of the in cylinder egr used on the 06
To my knowledge an '03-04 doesn't have the internal egr. Even with a Smarty Jr. and 50 hp ddp nozzles,I doubt they get anywhere near that increase over the '04.5 + trucks. I've read much lower increases from other owners. You've got a good one. My '98.5 with DTT,Edge EZ and Mach 1.6's got identical mileage to my '07.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:49 PM

My 03 pulls hard and smooth while building boost, once that 30-32 psi boost is achieved, it pretty much goes flat.... need more boost, anybody have a HE351C they want to get rid of?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 AM

INfor

Oh hit me up with more info on that mod!!

Originally Posted by Nascarcamper
My 03 pulls hard and smooth while building boost, once that 30-32 psi boost is achieved, it pretty much goes flat.... need more boost, anybody have a HE351C they want to get rid of?
You running a boost fooler? That helps.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM

No electronics at all since engine was replaced on Chrysler's dime. Don't think a fooler will help anyway, my 03 is completely mechanical for boost, adjusted the elbow in a full turn and it did nothing to PSI.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 AM

You'd benefit from a modified waste gate to make more boost as I understand it. I put a Quad boost fooler on mine for temp troubles while towing, and my EGT's dropped 100+ degrees. Great $50 mod. Screws up my Outlook monitor...but that's a complete different story.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 AM

Personally I wouldn't want to run injectors on a stock 04.5-07 due to the very retarded timing profile, you stand to really increase your EGT's. But if you really want to avoid tuning then get a boost fooler and a set of gauges.

I have thought about DDP 50s for a long time, and with my OE nozzles still in good shape can't justify it. I can get the same hp gain from going to SW2 on the Smarty Jr. I would like the mileage bump and the little more fuel on the bottom end, but they aren't cheap for those small gains.

I would go programing first, like a Smarty Jr. You get more mileage, more power, lower EGT's, at about 1/2 the cost and no install time.

Originally Posted by Danderson
To my knowledge an '03-04 doesn't have the internal egr.
The in-cylinder EGR comes from mainly from 2 things, the Cam and the pistons. The 03-04 have the same cam as the 04.5-07, but the piston design reduces the effect. The 04.5+ piston really enhances the in-cylinder EGR effect.

I have the Colt Cam, and a Smarty Jr and can't say that I have seen a 42% increase, and I am sure all 42% of that comes from the DDP's. I have seen up to about 7-10%% bump in mileage, and haven't had the cam long enough to get an honest opinion, but look to be about 5% more than the Jr alone, which I can't complain about!

I know you did a bunch of dyno testing at 100hp? to get the gains? And I could see that being true at a constant hp draw like that, but I think all the driving variances will reduce the overall efficiency.

I am not knocking the mods, I have all but the DDPs, and want those (but the $$ will go elsewhere until the injectors needs work), just stating the gain may not be that high, but there will be gain.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Yeah... not really wanting to increase EGT... What I am looking for is a ZERO maintenance mod that will give a decent hp/torque bump. I have heard horror stories about guys having to stop on the side of the road and pull/put fuses related to the programmer, misc. CEL's.... crappy programming that gets the truck all upset. I also do NOT want to increase EGT at a given load vs. stock, or increase rail pressure. I am not willing to increase rail pressure due to adding excessive wear to the HPCR. Granted, increasing duration can add some wear, and changing some timing can add extra heat to the nozzles, but until I decide to add better than 7 micron filtration, i do not want to add pressure. IDEAS??????
Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Smarty Jr.. nuff said :-)

Load a Smarty Jr on SW2, default settings and forget about it. It will give you a decent bump in mpgs, cooler EGT's, about the same amount of extra fuel that 50hp nozzles are. If you never want to update it again then you don't have to, but if you do then MADS occasionally improves the software and thats a 15 minute process.

In your original post you asked about an improvement near peak tq. The timing alone from the Smarty Jr is good for about 100 ft/lbs extra tq from 1800-2400 rpms, and 50-75 at 1600 rpms. Then add the fuel of SW2 or SW3 and you get more. But the timing is "free" hp/tq as there is no additional fuel needed for that power gain.

Quick Reply: 50hp. Nozzles on Stock Programming