3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Is 5" exhaust going to sound the closest to a 2nd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 5" exhaust going to sound the closest to a 2nd gen?

Just got the $600 tax refund and exhaust is needed. Is 5" exhaust going to sound the best? Is there really a loss in low end power with 5"?

I already have the 4" elbow and clamp for an 04.5. Assuming I only need the one clamp?

Miss the 4" turbo back straight pipe on my 01. Sounded great. Deep and nice and loud.

Have a buddy with an 04.5 with straight pipe(stock 4") and that thing sounds like crap. Its like a ricer. Really raspy. I would rather run stock exhaust then straight pipe it and have it sound like that.

I've heard the 4" MBRP and it sounds pretty raspy. The silverline sounds better on the website but never heard one in person. The Aeroturbine sounds pretty descent. Still not sure.

The best sounding thing I've heard so far is 5" Magnaflow. However $600 is pretty spendy.

Anyone running a DNA?

I was thinking about doing the Motoblue 5" setup(which is FloPro from what I've read). Can upgrade to the DNA if I want.

Also thought about the Diamond Eye 5"?

I've also read the Donaldson 51" sounds really deep and not too loud?

Whats the best way to not sound like a ricer?

I don't care if its loud in the cab. This thing is super quiet compared to my 01!

Any sound clips would be helpful! Especially 5" MBRP or other 5" systems!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 PM

I spent somewhere around 300 (cant remember for sure) on a 5 inch from the turbo back. Its a straight exhaust. Been on for over a year. It doesnt sound like a 2nd gen but it is LOUD. You got to like it that way to run it. Its not for everyone.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:06 PM

With a 3rd gen manifold it's always going to sound like a 3rd gen. The only 3rd gens I've heard sound close to a second gen are running big turbos on 2nd gen manifolds. It gets rid of that raspy ricer sound for some reason...
Old 05-02-2008, 03:45 PM

Check out shopdiesel.com. I got a 5" turbo-back system from them for $350. It doesn't sound anything like a 2nd gen, but it removed the raspy sound entirely and replaced it with a nice DEEP rumble; it sounds like a straight piped dump truck!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:04 PM

I agree on the sound of a straight pipe 4" on a 3rd gen, terrible especially in the cab. The only 3rd gens I have heard that I really liked were twin turboed trucks with a 5" straight, that said I haven't heard very many combinations. Pretty soon I will let you know what a twin truck sounds like with a 4" both muffled and straight.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by JCLeary
With a 3rd gen manifold it's always going to sound like a 3rd gen. The only 3rd gens I've heard sound close to a second gen are running big turbos on 2nd gen manifolds. It gets rid of that raspy ricer sound for some reason...
X2 you can dump as much money in exhaust systems as you wish but the manifold is what fixes it.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:48 PM

So, does the ATS manifold make it sound any different?

The reason I ask is the truck I drove that had the 5" Magnaflow had an ATS manifold.

If not, are people using 2nd gen manifolds and down pipes?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:20 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

I dont think its the manifold as much as the turbo. Once I put on my SPS62 it sounded 100% different. I always hated the way the stocker sounded but the new one is just plain awesome. I know that 5" exhaust is just a little deeper but never sounds quite right. 4" strait sounded like you were throwing M-80's out the pipe it crackled so bad with the stock turbo. Put that 600 bones aside for a new turbo if you want the 2nd gen sound.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 PM

When I changed my turbo and exhaust manifold the ricer sound went away. Sounds good now, like a diesel should.

Sid
Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by GlennRMK
So, does the ATS manifold make it sound any different?

The reason I ask is the truck I drove that had the 5" Magnaflow had an ATS manifold.

If not, are people using 2nd gen manifolds and down pipes?
Yep use a 2nd gen manifold and downpipe
Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Muted User

I went from stock turbo/manifold, to ATS 3rd gen (2pc) manifold and stock turbo with no noticeable sound change. Then the ATS 3rd gen MF and S300 turbo and still had "large honda" raspy sound. Then to ATS 2nd gen MF and same S300 turbo and the stupid sound went away. Now I have the 2nd gen MF with S300/S400 twins and a muffler so all is quiet except the whistle.

So in my experience it's not the turbo or the exhaust or even the CR motor. It's the manifold. When Ted Sterner p-pumped his CR it sounded like COMPLETE crap with the stock manifold at 5k rpm. He switched to a 2nd gen ATS (authough I believe a stock 24v would show the same results) and magically it sounded 100% better.

However if it makes you feel better to spend tons of money on other parts be my guest the vendors will love you. However I've been down that road only to find out it's not the programming, injectors, turbo, downpipe, air filter, fuel system or seat cushions.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 AM

Yep just like was said above, the only way to get rid of the ricey sound is to put on a 2nd gen manifold. Bigger turbos make em sound much better too with bigger diameter exhaust pipe like 5".

Your 03 will have a bad rice sound to at a certain rpm. I ain't sure of the exact rpm but I know its up towards redline. The 04.5's and up don't have this. I guess because of the 3rd injection event.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:41 AM

Well, maybe the best thing to do is go 4", like the Silverline(which can be had for about $350) and if I don't like it, put on a Donaldson 51".

Then, when its time for a turbo upgrade(maybe a year or two), go with an ATS or BD 2nd gen manifold and down pipe.

Do they make a 5" down pipe for the 2nd gen?

Wondering if I do a 5" system and go to a different turbo or the different manifold, if I'm going to have to adapt it down from 5" to a 4" downpipe?

The 5" still sounds better I think.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Ended up going with the 4" Aluminzed Silverline system for the 04.5-07(since I'm using the 04.5 elbow).

Got it from http://www.hyperformanceauto.com for $286.29 shipped

Found this soundclip of it on an 06http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm1b8...eature=related

Sounds good, so I went with it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone
Old 05-04-2008, 07:57 AM

A E R O Turbine

Wow!

Quick Reply: Is 5" exhaust going to sound the closest to a 2nd gen?