3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

5.9 vs. 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.9 vs. 6.7

Not trying to start a war here , i`ve heard that the 5.9 engines are more popular that the 6.7 engine and the prices of trucks for sale seem to reflect that .

I`ve seen 05`s and 06`s quads and megas online priced higher than 07`s and newer trucks with 6.7`s

can anyone explain?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:49 PM

The earlier 5.9 pre egr/particulate filter models are more desirable than 6.7's. The are more reliable, live longer, and get better fuel economy. I have seen a 2007 5.9 mega listed for $40k at a dealer recently! People are apparently paying it, or they wouldn't sell......

To me, the only good thing about a 6.7 truck is the 6 speed auto trans!

Pre 97/smog exempt 2nd gens bring a high premium here in CA.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 PM

what are the differences between the 2nd gen 24v 5.9s and the 3rd gen 5.9s? how does the mileage compare? same VP44/lift pump issues?

thanks
Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have noticed that 06-07 5.9L trucks sell for thousands more than an 07.5 and up 6.7L around my neck of the woods. Regardless of which is *better* (and that's probably subjective to individual needs/environments)- the market definitely favors the 5.9L.

I'd blame it on emissions. With the 6.7L there is all the new emissions stuff to deal with. I had an early 80's car once- one of the first cars to have an EGR valve and other emissions controls. It was the biggest POS I've ever owned- literally the low mileage car because you couldn't get it started. Most mechanically inclined people stay away from cars in that early 80's era- or they strip all that stuff off. The same thing applies to the 6.7L I think. People either shy away- or immediately do the deletes. Unfortunately, deletes don't pass a lot of state inspections, so the 5.9L gains in popularity.

I think part of the blame can lie in word of mouth though- once a certain gen car gets a good, or bad, reputation, the value can really swing. I personally have heard from tons of other ram owners that the 6.7L really suffers on mileage in comparison, and for some reason I hear more than anything that owners of the 2011 model year really dislike those trucks due to unreliability, poor mileage, and poor ride quality. It seems like that was the low point, and they have gotten much better since.

I've heard tremendously good things about the 2014.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:31 PM

Here is a page with the 5.9 specs.. I couldn't copy and paste the info . I had to add the link. some info about motor specs and fuel systems..

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/24v.html
Old 11-20-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ray1
Not trying to start a war here , i`ve heard that the 5.9 engines are more popular that the 6.7 engine and the prices of trucks for sale seem to reflect that .

I`ve seen 05`s and 06`s quads and megas online priced higher than 07`s and newer trucks with 6.7`s

can anyone explain?

Thanks.
I bought a new 6.7 in 2007 (QCSB Bighorn, 4x4, 6 speed auto) which was I thought would be the truck of my dreams. At the time I had the pick of 5.9s or 6.7s and the 6 speed automatic was what tipped the balance. Anyway, 25000 miles later I lemoned it via the Federal lemon law and basically got a full refund. That all happened in '08, I drove a VW Jetta diesel until 2012 looking for the 5.9 I should have bought and finally found it. The 6.7 had everything I liked except the emissions crap which was the deal breaker and I was not going to invest in more just to remove the dpf.

When I lemoned the 6.7 in 08, the prices of a lot trucks were depressed but when I did find my 5.9 in 2012, the prices had rebounded. Many with low miles were going for nearly new prices. My 07 had 52k on it in '12 and with approx 94k miles on it now, the prices haven't seemed to change much.

I'm convinced the emissions equipment is what has done it. My brother bought a '13 which uses DEF and it appears to be better, but I'm not a fan of the DEF. Nice truck, but I'd transplant my powertrain into it anyday, ECMs, 48re trans, the works. I think a 6.7 block with a 5.9 head and electronics would be a sweet combo.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:04 PM

Thanks for your answers

i had a 06 mega that i bought with 95 k on it in 2011 for about $22K OTD ,

I put about 10K miles on it and had to sell cause i needed money at the time

A used car dealer only gave me $15 K cause i was in a hurry. I watch it online as he listed it for $20K.

Anyway trying to find another and can`t believe the prices have shot up.

I saw a 04 Quad cab dually online for $10K with 600K miles on it.

Do you think a truck is worn out with that many miles on it? Suspenion, steering? ball joints ?
Old 12-06-2014, 10:43 PM

I have a 2007 (see my footer) and have had it since new. Now has 124000kms (77000miles) on it and everywhere I go people want to buy it even dealers that are not even trying to sell me a new one. It still looks new though.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 PM

Getting ready to trade in my '07 5.9 with 40k on it. Hardest thing to do with any vehicle I have ever had. I have two trucks (and two big payments) and need just one. Been trying to sell online, but no bites, so I am looking to just trade both in for a new '15 (I need a diesel no matter what). So dealer is offering me 27k for it.

Kinda bittersweet. I love my '07. The '15 is a pretty nice truck though and has all the factory offerings that surpass my current and future mods for the '07.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 PM

like always, once they get it right they just can not leave it alone.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
I have a 2007 (see my footer) and have had it since new. Now has 124000kms (77000miles) on it and everywhere I go people want to buy it even dealers that are not even trying to sell me a new one. It still looks new though.
People/dealers approach me frequently and ask about my 07,5.9 megacab DRW and ask if i would sell or trade in-----"NO WAY",it would be a step backwards.I am just a bit shy of 100K miles(99350+)and am slowly adding more goodies to her year by year.I did do the complete front end a few years back but it was needed(carli/hubs/u joints etc). It still puts a smile on my face for the most part for being my daily driver----,the 01 in my sig with even more goodies sits in the garage with 43000 original miles and is a blast to drive as well on weekends.These 2 trucks will most likely be the last diesel's i own as with the newer emissions crap/unreliability/higher fuel prices etc,(PS no flame or war intend to the newer owners,07+) it is just not for me any more.I will probable down size to mid size truck(Tacoma) as i really do not pull anything real heavy anymore since selling my 36 foot 13K Titanium 5ver and installing a permanent park model cottage at my lake property now.The new truck bug bits now and then but the prices for these NEWER rides up here in Canada for a one ton diesel run into the 75-80K price or more,1/2 as much as i paid for my first house back in 1996.I am just going to run these until retirement in 15 years---that's the plan anyway. CHEERS DCW
Old 01-03-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My FIL is the 2nd owner of a 07.5 6.7 G56 and it's been good but I still wouldn't trade.. no way! His even gets mpg close to mine.
I'm close to retirement and my 03 has <80k. It would probably last me the rest of my towing years.
My first house was 27k and my 03 is the first vehicle that cost more than that. Now new trucks are 2X+ what my first house cost and I don't even like how they look! Taller tires, hoods and boxes turn me off. Craig
Old 01-09-2015, 11:31 AM

One thing I don't like about my 05 is the oil is like coal tar immediately after an oil change. All the 12 valves I have owned stayed amber for about 4500 miles. I can't see this engine going anywhere near the distance a 12 valve will. Other then that its a great truck. When the engine goes I've got a 12 valve to stick it.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:20 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OMGDODGE
like always, once they get it right they just can not leave it alone.
That is a double edged sword. Many of the changes are due to govt regulations. Some are a benefit even as a result.

For instance, going from 12v to 24v was originally to help with emissions... but it improved engine breathing too.

The injectors we now have may not be nearly as reliable, but... help by retaining drivability with getting much higher HP gains.

The old mechanical 12v's are still reliable as a stone axe... but are not nearly as flexible and drivable as common rails.

Put big HP to them and they become smokey and harder to drive. On the other hand, they'll hold up better!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by marder
One thing I don't like about my 05 is the oil is like coal tar immediately after an oil change. All the 12 valves I have owned stayed amber for about 4500 miles. I can't see this engine going anywhere near the distance a 12 valve will. Other then that its a great truck. When the engine goes I've got a 12 valve to stick it.
"Roadmedic" member might disagree with you on the 3rd genner commonrail not lasting as long,i believe his 07 5.9 went over 900,000(17,000 plus hours) miles before it let go----all stock truck.The 12 valves are very reliable IMHO.I passed on one a few years ago,with only 100,000 original miles,but no place to put it and the MRS.