3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Is 5-7 mpg normal with this load?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 5-7 mpg normal with this load?

I have 25k miles on my truck and loaned it out (no comments on the loan part ok?). Anyways while towing my 32 ft. 5th wheel toyhauler loaded with toys, water, gas, groceries, etc I never got below 10 mpg and most of the time I get 12-14 mpg.

With this load they got 5 mpg with the XZT on 3 and turned it down to 2 and got 6-7 mpg going round trip from S. Ca. to outside of Denver. He also said he ran 55-65 mph as that was all it would go. With my toyhauler I can run 80 mph and have lots of throttle left.

I understand this is a big load (20K lbs) and has a big wind drag but the powerstroke in the pic was heavy loaded and used exactly 1/2 the fuel on the trip. I changed the oil and put in a new napa air filter before they left. What do you guys think? Normal?
Attached Thumbnails Is 5-7 mpg normal with this load?-dodge1.jpg   Is 5-7 mpg normal with this load?-dodge2.jpg  
Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM

Seems a bit low, I would think it would be closer to ten but im sure there is a ton of wind drag with that
Old 09-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I gross at 30K LBS with my 44' enclosed triple axle @ 70 MPH I average 7-8MPG
Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
you are pulling 2 garage doors down the road with ZERO aeordynamics. Your 5'r has at least some sort of round corners to flow the air.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 PM

Um comparing your load to the powerchokes load is apples to oranges... your wind load on that thing is huge!! Honestly you dont know how the person you loaned it to drove it...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wind drag will kill the MPG'S worse than the weight...when was the last time you had your ecm flashed?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

That is some heavy wood if it totaled 20K, tell them to pull the half pipe ramp with their bicycles next time and if they could only make 60 with that load then they had the parking brake on.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With the exposed crossmembers to the air pressure it acts like a drag shute. Need to move it to the back of the trailer.

MikeyB
Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 AM

Just curious, are you a skateboarder? Or the person who you lent your truck to?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Well he has driven his ford pulling a 17K lb backhoe to Az and back, drives semi trucks, drives and old greyhound dsl bus and I think he knows what he is doing.

Yep I know he has a buttload of wind drag and is heavy but I really thought 10 mpg would be the lowest. But then again my toyhauler is more like 10-12,000 lbs too.

They are a Christian discipleship that takes in drug addicts, hookers, homeless, court appointed teens, etc and get them cleaned up and hopefully back in the society. The go cross country and do outreaches in the bad part of cities and teach other Churches how to do the same.

My youngest son was on drugs and real messed up at age 17 and went in 5 years ago, got cleaned up and is now in management so to speak. The organization is called The BADD which stands for Born Again And Delivered Disciples.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by iweb
Well he has driven his ford pulling a 17K lb backhoe to Az and back, drives semi trucks, drives and old greyhound dsl bus and I think he knows what he is doing.

Yep I know he has a buttload of wind drag and is heavy but I really thought 10 mpg would be the lowest. But then again my toyhauler is more like 10-12,000 lbs too.

They are a Christian discipleship that takes in drug addicts, hookers, homeless, court appointed teens, etc and get them cleaned up and hopefully back in the society. The go cross country and do outreaches in the bad part of cities and teach other Churches how to do the same.

My youngest son was on drugs and real messed up at age 17 and went in 5 years ago, got cleaned up and is now in management so to speak. The organization is called The BADD which stands for Born Again And Delivered Disciples.
Nice to hear things like this...Im glad your son got right.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iweb

Amen to that! You have a PM coming!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Banned

well i still think the mpg were low...maybe try covering it w/ a tarp or nailing plywood to the sides of the ramp next time. do you have gauges...what were the egts. it should pull faster than 55 and are you sure its 20k...doenst look that heavy to me

brett
Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Banned

Well, after reading the thread very carefully, I have to say that something is wrong with your truck. You are probaly grossing at 20K, meaning the trailer and ramp is about 12-13K and your truck and supplies is 7-8K. Unless I am just not seeing it, I don't know how that trailer and ramp can weigh 20K by itself. So, @ 20K gross. Your truck, STOCK, should pull that 70+ if you wanted to. So:

Check boost tubes to mak sure they are connected. Any Check Engine Light? Water in fuel? Is the tranny slipping? Are you sure? Do you have gauges to monitor temps? Fuel filter, when was teh last time you changed it? Bad tank of fuel clogged filter maybe? SOMETHING is wrong, no way the Cummins will struggle with that load. Like I said above, I gross @ 30K with my enclosed, so aerodynamics are a pain with it as well. I run 65-70+ all day long, and that was before I modded my truck. I run my TST on 2/2 with some added rail pressure to help it out now.

So, you need to find out what is wrong with the truck, as there IS something.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 AM

i get around 10ish with my GN and ~12K in tow and its not near the poor aero of that. sounds about right, depending on how hard the driver was hammering it.

Ex.- my truck, 25' GN with jeep (facing backwards) on front and early 80s lifted chevy on back+ truck full of guys and a weekend's worth of gear, towing ~65 with small hills. I got around 8-9 (hand calculated) (i est ~12k trailer and load)

Ex. 2. my truck, 25' GN, jeep on front (facing forward), bobcat skider, extra bobcat attachment (tree shearer) and 1200lbs of corn- cruise on 65, i got 10.5. (i est 13-14K trailer and load)

EDIT: just saw where you said that 65 was all he could get out of it. there may be a problem afterall. or maybe the problem was the driver .

Quick Reply: Is 5-7 mpg normal with this load?