3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

4in or 5in Backpressure with cat?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4in or 5in Backpressure with cat?????

I order a Expandit dual exhaust setup on Ebay off ETR. The auction claimed it was a 4in setup. I fully understood that I was not going to gain much with the dual setup. But I like the looks. well the exhaust shows up and it is a 5in turbo back to a 4in dual out let muffler. I was never really sure about deleting the cat. So I would have no opton with this system. I PM another member who had this system and says he took it off because he lost so much low end power with 5in system. So since I just got it a few days ago. I wrote ETR and told them I thought they pulled a fast one on me. They wrote and claimed that recently Diesel power did a test and a Magna flow 5in exhaust and the results showed an increase in Hp and tourqe. I am not looking to make my truck into a 1/4 mile machine or a high speed racer. The most I will add is a 100hp of a Banks setup. So my question is. If I use this system will I lose low end tourqe because of the extra airflow and no back pressure from the cat. I am not asking should I remove the cat. I am asking if the cat creates a back pressure that provides low end power. This will really help my decsion on my next system. Since I have a feeling I should return this. Maybe not. I am not sure. Please give me some input. I think my best route would a dual cat back system. Which is what I thought I could do with the system I bought. But at 5in I think it is a lose lose situation. Please tell me you thoughts and experiences. Once again I am not asking about removing my cat I wondering about power loss from reduced back pressure
Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently straight piped my truck and I'm putting the cat back in the system first chance I get. Although it sounds nice I did loose some low end. I don't think the cat will cut out that much of the sound when I reinstall it, but we'll see. If your concerned about the low end loss then leave the kitty. Just my $.02
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to keep the kitty I would say send it back. No point in going with 5" pipe necked down to stock 4" kitty back to 5" then back down to 4" muffler and tail pipes.

If I were to desire 5" I would make sure everything is 5" but then again I am **** about that kind of stuff even if it does not make a differece.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Lots of complaints about the way ETR does business on this and other forums......If it isn't what was represented when you purchased it, by all means send it back!

No need to reward a company for being dishonest......
Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeephauler
If you want to keep the kitty I would say send it back. No point in going with 5" pipe necked down to stock 4" kitty back to 5" then back down to 4" muffler and tail pipes..
If your kitty has the conical ends, lay a piece of 5 inch pipe up to it and trim back the kitty to that intersection plane. That way you get both the 5 inch and the kitty...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2