3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

4" vs. 5"

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know at first I really didnt get any drone with mine but today I did about 50 interstate miles and at about 75 mph now that I have the SPS 66 it does drone pretty bad. Run it up to 80 or so and the drone is gone. Looks like I will just have to drive faster.

Your not gonna loose anything with the 5" and your set up.

BTW how did you get your hands on an SS turbo??? Conections???
Old 03-04-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking good eyes

Originally Posted by wap
I know at first I really didnt get any drone with mine but today I did about 50 interstate miles and at about 75 mph now that I have the SPS 66 it does drone pretty bad. Run it up to 80 or so and the drone is gone. Looks like I will just have to drive faster.

Your not gonna loose anything with the 5" and your set up.

BTW how did you get your hands on an SS turbo??? Conections???
WAP, you have a good eye...1st one all polished, with all latest revisions. one week old and testing. Yes got connection. However, price will choke a large horse. Back to your 5" . You say you have drone??? What brand are you running? I notice you have a 5" straight pipe? I'm going to be testing an MBRP or Magnaflow stainless tommorrow w/30" x 7" muffler, and if it's not worth the effort I'll cancell the install. Do you think a muffler will make a difference in the drone?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 PM

"Most" of the drone on the new motors comes from the removal of the cat...I'd say it's responsible for about 80% of the drone.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:42 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had no drone to speak of until this turbo.

I am runnin the cheapest 5" I could get. I believe expandit makes it.

I would think the muffler would help but how much, I dont know.

Pourin diesel has a 5" exhaust with a muffler and an A5k turbo (which would influence the sound/tone of his exhaust). He posted a while back that he put in a piece of 4" pipe in his 5" exhaust and that the truck sounded the same as far as tone but eliminated the drone. Dont quote me but I THINK he said it may have been quieter in the cab too.

IMO with the power level you are at I woul go ahead with the 5". Where your at now 4" would be OK but if you plan to do more I think the 5" would help.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by bekim
I agree it is LOUD all the time! I saw a 100ºF drop in EGT's over my 4" ANSA Silverline T304 system, and a 200ºF drop over the stock exhaust system. The 5" system also killed spool up, and hurt low end torque. It's just too big for slightly modded motors IMHO.
Cheers
Mike
###
WAHH

little off the rockers there...guess I need to quit my job

Why would no exhaust at all kill spool up?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by catdiesel
WAHH

A turbo needs a load to spool. If you have a boost gauge, put the truck in park and give it some gas and see if the boost does anything.

With a 5" exhaust, you just killed a significant amount of back pressure that's needed - assuming you have just a few basic performance mods. Going to a 5" exhaust for the average person will result in less torque and reduced performance for everyday driving. However, if you're the guy that floors it from stop sign to stop sign - every single time, every single day - then a 5" may be the answer you're looking for.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by catdiesel
WAHH

I just noticed you work on diesels for a living...did I screw up?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=HeberRam;1389459]WAP, you have a good eye...1st one all polished, with all latest revisions. one week old and testing. Yes got connection.

So your one of the guys Beta testing that new HTTss Turbo
How do you like it? that turbo can take 600 or more Degrees then the averge turbo right