3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Which 4 inch exhaust to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which 4 inch exhaust to buy?

I'm shopping around for a new free flow exhaust to go with the edge juice i just installed. I want somthing that fits perfectly and goes in with having to modify anything. I also don't want a LOUD exhaust. I know they are all louder than stock but I tow a lot so i need somthing that won't drone and be sound loud in the cab. The are several out there includiong banks, MBRP, SIlverline, Hog, etc. Not looking for stainless. ALuminized steel is good enough for me. If I have to modify it later for an exhaust brake I want to be able to welld on it if i need to.

Any reccommendations from tjhose of you who have used the aboved brands?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Banned

deere nut,

The exhaust brake shouldn't be a problem for you, if you get a turbo mount unit it replaces the turbo elbow casting, if you get an inline unit they are available in different pipe sizes so that makes that easy too. You shouldn't have to weld or anything to install one. Check out our MBRP systems, we have them in aluminized, 409 and 304 stainless and in duals and singles. The hangers are 100% welded just like the stock system too, makes installtion real easy. Any system will be louder than stock, but we have accessory resonators that you can add if you want to make it quieter etc. Depends on the individual person and what they consider loud or not etc. Call us if you have any questions we'll be glad to help.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 09-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deere nut
I want somthing that fits perfectly and goes in with having to modify anything.
MBRP. About as close to perfect as you can get when it comes to fit.

I also don't want a LOUD exhaust. I know they are all louder than stock but I tow a lot so i need somthing that won't drone and be sound loud in the cab.
Replace stock muffler with Donaldson 51" muffler. They're free flowing but, at least from what I've been told, very quiet.

Not looking for stainless. ALuminized steel is good enough for me.
MBRP offers both, but if I recall correctly their aluminized system does not come with welded on hangers. That may or may not be important to you.

I have the MBRP and I'm happy with it but, at least on my truck, it's considerably louder than stock. They make a quality system that is relatively easy to install. If you buy it from Mark at DPPI then you can count on top notch customer service if something goes wrong too.

If I had it to do all over again...knowing what I know now...I would probably find a quality 4" downpipe and a piece of straight 4" pipe and then connect it to the stock 4" tailpipe section....and if I found that to be too loud I'd come back and install a Donaldson muffler. Don't get me wrong, I like the MBRP system. I just think I could have gotten close to the same sound and performance a lot cheaper (by doing the above). But, it's bought and paid for now so unless it falls off my truck it's staying there.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:03 PM

All good flowing exhaust systems must start with (Meow Meow Bang Bang)
Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 PM

Hoss,

As far as sound level goes, do you think your mbrp is almost as loud as a straight pipe?
Old 09-17-2005, 12:26 AM

MBRP not too loud.

I Installed a MBRP Stainless exhaust on my rig. It was a breeze once I cut the old one off.

As far as sound goes, it is slightly louder (more throaty) up to 2100 RPM. At 2100 there is a slight drone. And, it sounds great when I stomp on it - of course!!

Moj
Old 09-17-2005, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out Rip Rook's systems. They will probably be louder than you want when towing, but you won't find a more affordable system: http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/sa_dodge-exh.htm

They are cheap enough that you can swap the muffler for a bigger Donaldson muffler later on if you don't like the sound and still come out cheaper than the systems you mentioned above.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Joe
All good flowing exhaust systems must start with (Meow Meow Bang Bang)
03-04 don't need to worry about that..
Old 09-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deere nut
Hoss,

As far as sound level goes, do you think your mbrp is almost as loud as a straight pipe?
I've never heard a straight piped 3rd gen so I can't really answer that question. However, the MBRP basically IS a straight piped system. The muffler probably does tone it down a little bit, but it's still a straight through muffler.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:23 PM

Love my Bully Dog Aluminized 4" Exhaust. Nice deep throaty sound but not really loud. 4" technically is about as big as you will ever need. Bully dog sells 5 & 6 but they themselves will tell you that even 500hp + and 4" is plenty.
My kit goes right to the turbo.
The tip is 5" and very sharp looking...
Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 PM

www.rpmoutlet.com I bought the cold air kit and it's AWESOME !!! Got the 4 in turbo back Moto Blue duals and AEM Brute Force intake and what a difference !!! Turbo down pipe is already stainless so bolt up from there on and it sounds perfect.......no drone and not much louder in the cab with windows up . Roll them babies down and hit it and the sweet turbo sound combined with the truck muffler they give you sounds mean !!! All I can say is much better since my kitty ran away !! Bought BOTH for less than most dual systems run elsewhere .
Old 09-19-2005, 03:57 PM

Your truck is already 4 inch except for where the turbo elbow is mentioned above.

If you are getting an exhaust brake, get the one for the 2005 true 4 inch downpipe. Then get the 05MY stock downpipe. You'll then have a true 4 inch system. It's already aluminized crud so you might as well let it rust through first.

A muffler would be the only other thing as suggested above.

If you do a search for 4 inch downpipe or 2005 downpipe turbo elbow, you should find infor. I remember a couple threads about it and it was surprisingly cheap even if you bought the parts from your dealer.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:01 PM

I would suggest a Diamond Eye system with an Aeroturbine 4040L mounted on the down pipe. This system would also use the muffler that comes in the kit which is a straight through 4" perforated with packing. The Aeroturbine mounted on the DP helps to lower EGTs and avoid the drone as much as possible.