3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

4" exhaust (again)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" exhaust (again)

Let me begin my posting my apologies for beating this subject beyond all recognition as I've searched, read, reread, and still have questions. Imagine this, but I'm a slow learner.

Exhaust on wifey's 2004 HO. I am going to put a Scotty III on it as soon as I hear back from Wildcat Diesel as to whether or not they have any in stock. I have an EZ on her truck. No gauges yet. She doesn't want them...long story...she needs the grab handle, yet doesn't want a dual gauge or the steering wheel pod thingy either. She hates the frog eye looking dash mount and has trouble with me mounting them elsewhere. I am still working this gauge conflict. So, we get to the exhaust. I've kind of fallen in love with the DPP aluminized (I live in AZ where nothing rusts) 4" exhaust system. I really like the duals, but can't see paying $300 or so more for the SS and duals.

So, my questions are:

1) If somebody has the DPP setup, how'd ya like it?
2) Do you think I really need the entire exhaust or just a muffler?
3) What other options are there?

She drives it as a daily driver and tows the boat and horsey trailer on a limited basis.

I suppose I will call DPP tomorrow and pick their brains too and call some other folks as well. Banks stuff is cool, but to be quite honest, it's too rich for my blood when there's comparable stuff out there.

Thanks fellas (and girls).

Toby
Old 04-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Banned

DPPI Exhaust

PHX_ATC,

Call us we'll be glad to help you with any questions you might have.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 04-13-2004, 11:09 AM

As far as guages go she should like the X-Monitor.

I have pics of my install in my gallery.

I'm very satisfied with their performance.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:41 AM

I bought and like the DPPI t409 SS exhaust.

As far as purchase price and installation (and costs) goes, for me, I think I was better off being able to remove the entire OEM exhaust and replace it entirely with the DPPI (by myself for free) was just as cost effective than buying an equivilent muffler, then wrestling with parts and pieces of rusty OEM pipes trying to fit them to a new muffler. Much less than having to take the entire monstrosity to a muffler shop and pay them to do it for me.

OK, my installation wasn't exactly free; I did the install at the local Auto Hobby shop on base, and the use of the lift and tools cost me $3 bucks to do it.

And in addition to the great sound, that 4" SS pipe looks sexy under there even when it is covered with road grime.

Looking at it another way, you've got those new trucks and boat, and you're waffling over a couple of bills at the most? I can burn that much on a Saturday. You gotta pay to play you know.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:34 PM

Thanks fellas for the input.

Mark Craig - I actually spoke to you yesterday! I guess I'm a day late on my postings, as usual.

I wasn't waffling over $300, just can't see the SS option over aluminum when I live in AZ. Hello, nothing rusts here, not even my brain. True, I can drop $300 without batting an eye. I do often, but I always do my research first, that way I don't have to spend $600 to get the good stuff or have it done right, because I didn't do my homework.

Besides, my wife will find a way to spend the extra $$$ on her horses if I don't spend it!
Old 04-13-2004, 03:58 PM

DPP

Go with the DPP, either aluminum or SS you will be happy with the results. I went through the same thing you are doing currently, research, etc, etc. I'm glad I went with the DPP. Not pushing them or anything, just a happy customer.

Curt
Old 04-13-2004, 07:17 PM
jt

I didn't think you could get duals from anyone else?

James
Old 04-15-2004, 11:49 PM

I just got my SS from DPPI the other day. I also live in Az Tucson.
With the little difference in price on the two systems I went with the SS. It looks great and Sounds Great. I did the whole job myself and from start to finish was 2 hrs. Have never had anything fit so good on any of my trucks.
Called and talked to Cory on thurs and they were at the house on Mon.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:20 PM

save yourself a ton of $$ and just cut out the muffler, intall a straight pipe with a y-pipe and run pipes to each side, as for gauges you need to have a pyro, go to the dealership and get the srt-10 a-pillar, it has a gauge pod built in and still has the grab handle. just my .02
Old 04-16-2004, 10:52 PM

Wonder what a straight pipe sounds like?
Old 04-17-2004, 11:57 AM

Aluminized exhaust

Aluminized exhaust should hold up just fine where you are and the single will yield about the same performance as the duals. You might want to consider an Aeroturbine with your exhaust as some times the 4" systems can drone. The Aeroturbine placed on the down pipe will often get rid of the drone, yield a solid engine note out the tail pipe and lower EGTs. We have complete systems with Aeroturbines or Aeroturbine seperately.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
If your truck isn't a Laramie, you could always install the gauges in the useless cubby hole below the stereo.
That's where I installed mine......pics are in the gallery....hope this helps. You DO need gauges !
Greg
Old 04-17-2004, 09:41 PM

I got a DPP and it's great, but if I did it again I'd just replace the muffler with a straight pipe. Loud but probably effective for lowering EGTs.