3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

4" downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet!! I can't imagine it being that expensive since it's a cast. At least it should be a lot more affordable than the pipe that Banks sells to replace it.

I wonder how long we'll have to wait before we can order one? I can't wait much longer!!! I can't wait to do my exhaust system!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:51 AM

Do the math...

Any Stainless Downpipe is $100-140
The Cast Elbow would not be cheaper than $60...

It is a wash. The Banks downpipe is the smoothest cost effective true 4" method...with half of the required connections and probably weight.

Stainless can easily withstand temps in excess of 2500 degrees. I doubt if there is an integritiy issues either.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:00 AM

an important note for those useing the banks dowpipe!

I bought a downpipe separately and installed it using the V-band clamps I already had from my stock elbow. There was not a new one supplied.

neither of the clamps are tight enough to get a tight seal on the downpipe to the turbo. It WILL leak if you use either of these clamps .
you will need to get a tighter V band clamp for 4" diameter

the one I found to work perfect was actually for a Mack application, I dont have the part number, but it was the tightest V possible

Does the whole banks exhaust kit come with a new clamp?????

I wonder how many people are running around with leaking exhaust
Old 03-25-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by cquestad
Do the math...

Any Stainless Downpipe is $100-140
The Cast Elbow would not be cheaper than $60...

It is a wash. The Banks downpipe is the smoothest cost effective true 4" method...with half of the required connections and probably weight.

Stainless can easily withstand temps in excess of 2500 degrees. I doubt if there is an integritiy issues either.
I couldn't agree more....... personally think you would be hard pressed to find an alumisized steel DP for 100 to 140..... The banks DP is a good price for what you get.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Agades
an important note for those useing the banks dowpipe!

I bought a downpipe separately and installed it using the V-band clamps I already had from my stock elbow. There was not a new one supplied.

neither of the clamps are tight enough to get a tight seal on the downpipe to the turbo. It WILL leak if you use either of these clamps .
you will need to get a tighter V band clamp for 4" diameter

the one I found to work perfect was actually for a Mack application, I dont have the part number, but it was the tightest V possible

Does the whole banks exhaust kit come with a new clamp?????

I wonder how many people are running around with leaking exhaust
That's very good info on the Vclamp. I'm putting mine on today so I'll look for a claim before I start.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:09 AM

It would be nice if we could have a response from Bank's on the V-Clamp issue or a part number for a substitute 4" clamp...

Can't wait to put mine on with a Donaldson...maybe in a couple of weeks or so.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:39 PM

Hey Guys,

I did the exhaust today. It went really good..... total job took me about 3 hours including removing the old.

I have't really driven it yet, so I can't report the noise, but bliping the trottle, you can deffenatly tell it's been modded

I called for a dyno appointment to get the comparison and they are all booked until Tuesday (Drag Racing is starting next week here)..... So I won't have any results power wise until next week.

I ended up cutting the flange off the Banks pipe and just slid and clamped pipe to it (this was much easier than making another flang and a gasket. It took about 6ft of straight 4 inch pipe with the FloPro 6192 muffler. Best part is the tail pipe looks stock.

I'm in the system for about 325 bucks..... including the banks DP..... I honestly don't thihk you could get a better system even if you paid 500 bucks.

I'll take some picks as soon as I can get the GS off the lift (broke the trans last week).........

More to come soon.

Rich
Old 03-25-2004, 07:24 PM

Nitro,

Why did you use the FlowPro instead of a Donaldson? Is there a design difference? Do you know what the decibel att numbers are? I am curious to what yours will sound like at idle, accel, and highway cruise.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by cquestad
Nitro,

Why did you use the FlowPro instead of a Donaldson? Is there a design difference? Do you know what the decibel att numbers are? I am curious to what yours will sound like at idle, accel, and highway cruise.

Thanks!
After hearing / riding in a truck with a proflo, I was sold.... In cab noise isn't bad at all... at idle it's no louder than stock. Going down the road it's a bit louder but just a little bit. It's also a straight through design so the flow numbers shojuld be good...... ( don't know what they flow )

The exhuast has made a noticably (butt dyno differance) It really comes to life now... It will be interesting to see what the actuall number increase is on the dyno.

Rich
Old 03-26-2004, 03:30 PM

The complete Monster Exhaust does include a replacement 4" V-band clamp. For those of you ordering just a turbine outlet pipe, the Banks PN for the clamp is 92887.

Peter Treydte
Banks Power
Old 04-11-2004, 01:43 PM

Hey all....

I have yet to stick the truck on the dyno with the exhaust done and the air box on....... The dyno has been tied up (drag season is starting here). Hopefully in the next week or two I can make it up there.

I can tell you that with my Airbox installed and the exhaust done, crusing temps going down the freeway (on the same streach of road going the same direction) the EGT's have droped from 650 to 550ish...... That's a big differance.

The airbox by it's self (with the factory exhaust) made 25 degree's diff at 70 to 75.

The exhaust with the factory box made 25 degree diff

Both of them working together 100 degree's...... that's a pretty huge number.

I have yet to notice any milage increase from both mods....... Dyno numbers comming soon........