3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

4' Donaldson Muffler M101167

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
4' Donaldson Muffler M101167

I recently installed this muffler on my 2006 short box, crew cab. Its very quiet for a straight thru muffler. Just what I wanted as I tow long distances with the family. Not sure how it would compare to the stock muffler as it had a big hole in it but I'd say its probably close. I'm betting many people would find it too quiet. Also there is ZERO drone.

I still have all the rest of the stock exhaust, my CAT was gutted by the PO but I left it in place as a resonator. Tail pipe is stock as well. I pretty much just cut the old muffler out with a sawzall and installed the new one in its place.

I did run into some complications as the stock muffler enters at the bottom and exits at the top which didn't match with the straight thru Donaldson. The pipe coming off the CAT has a dog leg in it to compensate for this so I cut the pipe off right after the CAT. Then I had to add about 10" of pipe to meet up with the Donaldson. I also had to mount that pipe and the muffler at an angle to match up with the tailpipe. Not sure if this will cause any problems with condensation in the winter but I'll be keeping it in mind. If I could have rotated the CAT so the dog leg jogged up that probably would have been a better solution but it was rusted on pretty good.

Also EGTs seem to be down as well. I havn't towed yet with it but unloaded I used to be able to hit 1400F pretty easily with the EDGE on 4. Now I have to really push it to hit 1400F. We'll see what difference it makes next time I tow.

A good cheap upgrade for those that want a better flowing muffler without the noise.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I almost put one of those on my truck, I was afraid I would not lke it after I put it on, so I ended up with a 30' fte resonator. What do your egt's run at highway speed empty? I know coming from a straight pipe its nice to hear yourself think again.lol
Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cLAYH, Have you had a chance tow with your new exhaust ? does it work ok?
enquireing minds want to know.I have an 03 1 ton and getting ready to make a choose and spend some hard earned cash. thanks, Party On!
Old 09-25-2015, 11:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dirty pete
cLAYH, Have you had a chance tow with your new exhaust ? does it work ok?
enquireing minds want to know.I have an 03 1 ton and getting ready to make a choose and spend some hard earned cash. thanks, Party On!
It works ok. I haven't seen much of a reduction in EGTs when towing but my old muffler had a large hole in it so it was more free flowing than stock.

Now that its been on for a while I do notice some drone when pulling hard on a hill with a heavy load, When I get a chance I'm going to try adjusting the tailpipe. I have a turn down on the end but its at a bit of a funny angle.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 51 in donaldson on my QC short box, and there is no drone at all towing my 35ft 5th wheel, I think next time I will go with the 41in as it would have been way easier to install, my 51in was pretty tight, I still have the cat and stock stainless pipe from the turbo, my EGT`s came down a very small amount but were never that high to start with.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey cLAYH and Fiftygrit thanks for the come back.It's gonna be helpful. I don't post a lot but I read a lot and try to learn.I'am an old guy,but not to old to learn.Thanks. DIESEL TRUCK RESOURCE is a great site.