3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

4.5 muffler replacement problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.5 muffler replacement problems.

I ordered the DPPI muffler replacement last week and received it last night. This morning I ventured to the muffler shop to get it installed. I may have been wrong in thinking that it would just bolt up after removal of the old muffler. Thank the good Lord I went to a pro to get it done. All hangers had to be removed and the straight pipe after the cat had to be shortened. Once all that was complete the system bolted up and fit just fine. The muffler shop rewelded the hangers back on and I was set. The muffler shop said that it looked as if the two pieces received were for a short bed. If have a long wheel base DRW. That being said. I am extremely happy with the sound of whitelightnin now. Nice and quiet at cruising speed nice rumble when you put your foot off in it. I must have damaged hearing cause I can't hear the turbo whistle but everyone else can. Only time I hear it is when I am coming to a stop and things are winding down.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

whitelightnin,

Wow what a mess, from what you posted I went out and looked at one of the mufflers. Your muffler shop guys installed the muffler 180 degrees backwards. If they had to remove the hangers and reweld them there is no other way to make happen. The short "S" shaped piece is the same length for all trucks. In fact the overall length of the muffler and the "S" pipe is the exact same length of the factory muffler end to end. It's built that way so it is a bolt in item. Why they decided to remove the hangers and reweld them at the other end of the muffler is a mystery to me. Basically you unclamp the stock mufler and wrestle it off the truck. Insert the rear of our muffler onto the stock tailpipe and get the welded hangers into the stock rubber hangers. Push the new muffler and tail pipe as far to the rear as you can to insert the stock intermediate pipe. Line it all up and tighten it down. You're done.

Really sorry you had such a time with it, but it's a really simple install. At least the final result is what you were after. I bet you don't hear the turbo much as when the cut the hangers off and then revesed the muffler that will have the louvers facing forward instead of to the rear, that will kill a lot of the whistle overall.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-26-2005, 10:29 AM

What is weird is that they had to shorten the straight pipe right after the cat to make it fit. I will try to get some picks of the install. I was watching them pretty close, but the ol slight of hand trick they may have installed with the louvers foward. I will check tonight and see if the old welds are toward the front. Do you think louvers facing engine could cause other problems?
Old 05-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Banned

whitelightnin,

It won't cause you any problems so don;t let that bother you. Now there is the possibility the pipe was made to long, but the main reason I say no is the shipping box is JUST barely long enough for it to fit to start with, so if it was longer (more than 1 inch or so) it wouldn't fit to start with.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-27-2005, 02:06 PM

Thanks Mark. I am really enjoying this setup I just have to remember when the wife is in the truck to take it easy around 2k rpm cause that is when it get loud. Do you have install pics or an install guide for the muffler replacement?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

whitelightnin,

No no install info, the welded hanegrs only let you install the muffler one way, and the offest pipe will only fit one way as well so we didn't ever make any install info as it just can't be done but one way.

I have been thinking about yuor muffler shop install, I bet they wanted to reverse the muffler because they are used to seeing the louvers facing forward, the diesel muffler is designed with them facing to the rear. They figured it was built wrong and decided to cut and reverse it.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-31-2005, 02:26 PM

I went through the exhaust fiasco myself recently . Bought a 4 inch dual system and boneheads at 2 different shops wanted 150 clams to install from cat back and one shop said they had to weld in hangers to frame NO WAY MORONS and it wouldn't fit with spare tire in place ! Ripped the old system out and replaced it myself after numerous cussing and a lil blood loss !!! Sounds awesome !!! Been fighting with company I purchased from , the clowns have sent me the wrong pipes twice to finish her up ( cat delete ) (6 ft of 5 in flex pipe is in there currently) . One word ........... WOW !!! Installed an AEM intake and 4 inch duals and man this thing moves now !!! Can't wait to get Quads new box after gauges are installed but man , power is way up , sweet turbo noise is very noticeable now and mileage is up too !!!! Best of all that Elmers glue smell has been replaced by the heavenly smell of DIESEL !!!!!!